Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats your most under rated game of this generation? and most over rated?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Default Whats your most under rated game of this generation? and most over rated?

My personal favorite and most under rated game of this generation is Crackdown on Xbox 360... The most fun I had on my 360. The best sandbox game ever! The game had a few problems, but the fun factor was 10 out of 10.
    The most overrated would be GTA4, it got perfect 10s everywhere, and im a huge fan of the ps2 games but this one was slow and boring and way too serious. I give it a 7 out of 10.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Underated pick is a hard one. I guess Valkyria Chronicles if only because it never received a full console sequel. The game crafted a weird mix of turn and real time strategy into something that worked great. It also had its own unique visual style, great music, story and characters. It was really unique in a generation filled with homogenized experiences.

My overrated pick is easy though, Red Dead Redemption. I really don't see what is so special about this game and I've played both the original campaign and undead nightmare extensively. The praise it got just seemed way over the top for what the game actually was but maybe I'm just not a fan of westerns.

Insert Coin (Level 0) The Old School Gamer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Overrated in my opinion is Resistance 2 for the PS3. It got great reviews, but I never liked it all that much. Not a bad game but to me its nothing special. Mortal Kombat Vs The DC Universe is considered by some to be the blacksheep of the MK series, but I thought it was pretty good. I liked how it had an in depth story mode and it had some intresting gimmicks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    Underated pick is a hard one. I guess Valkyria Chronicles if only because it never received a full console sequel. The game crafted a weird mix of turn and real time strategy into something that worked great. It also had its own unique visual style, great music, story and characters. It was really unique in a generation filled with homogenized experiences.

My overrated pick is easy though, Red Dead Redemption. I really don't see what is so special about this game and I've played both the original campaign and undead nightmare extensively. The praise it got just seemed way over the top for what the game actually was but maybe I'm just not a fan of westerns.
    I never played valkyria chronicles, ill definitely pick it up. Red dead redemption was a lot of fun though! Definitely better than gta4.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Quote Originally Posted by The Old School Gamer View Post
    Overrated in my opinion is Resistance 2 for the PS3. It got great reviews, but I never liked it all that much. Not a bad game but to me its nothing special. Mortal Kombat Vs The DC Universe is considered by some to be the blacksheep of the MK series, but I thought it was pretty good. I liked how it had an in depth story mode and it had some intresting gimmicks.
    The entire resistance, and killzone series are WAY overrated. They are the most bland, generic shooters ever. Killzone 3 was OK.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

• Witcher 2
    • Earth Defense Force 2017

PS3
    • 3D Dot Game Heroes (it got release as Players Choice, but still no love for this quirky game)
    • Demon Soul
    • Dark Soul

Wii
    • Little King's Story & Zack
    • Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

PSP
    • Prinny: Can I Really Be The Hero?
    • Valkyria Chronicles 2
    • 3rd Birthday
    • Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles

DS
    • Avalon Code
    • Ivy the Kiwi?
    • Rune Factory 1-3
    • Touch the Dead
    • Dementium 1 & 2
    • Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
    • Commando: Steel Disaster
    Last edited by ScourDX; 01-13-2013 at 06:19 PM.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Are these your overrated or underrated games list?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Just Cause 2

Underated

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Nobody played Opoona, which is a shame.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Here are a few that I've played and think are the most overrated this gen.

God of War 3
    Halo 4
    Assassin's Creed 3
    Final Fantasy 13
    Fallout 3
    Dead Rising series

And my opinion of most underrated games.

Lords of Shadow
    Army of Two 40th Day
    The Saboteur
    Dante's Inferno
    Just about everything on the PSP(since apparently the PSP has no good games.)

While great games, I wouldn't consider games like Vanquish or Valkyria Chronicles underrated because just about everyone who has played them love the games. They're just not well known.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 01-13-2013 at 08:34 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Overrated would be GTA4 and Gears of War 2. I gave both of them an honest shot, but I can't figure out why people love them, or how they were so well reviewed.

As for underrated games, Tokyo Jungle is great and has flown under the radar for most people. I really like Nier, which is trying some interesting things. Even when it fails, which is often, it's doing so to further it's own weird internal agenda.

The Syndicate FPS reboot from early last year is much better than its review scores would indicate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye View Post
    Are these your overrated or underrated games list?
    I forgot to mention the list was underrated. Most overrated.

- Call of duty series
    - Halo series
    - Mass effect 3 (first was good. Next one was great. Third was underwhelming and disappointing)
    - Resident evil 5 & 6
    - Gta iv (this gta wasnt as addictive as vice city or san andreas)
    - Any fighting game release by capcom. I feel capcom just release incomplete game and make you buy their on disc dlc.
    - Any yearly sports simulation. Madden, nhl, nba2k, mlb and fifa. Same engine but differrent roster update.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Quote Originally Posted by ScourDX View Post
    I forgot to mention the list was underrated. Most overrated.

- Call of duty series
    - Halo series
    - Mass effect 3 (first was good. Next one was great. Third was underwhelming and disappointing)
    - Resident evil 5 & 6
    - Gta iv (this gta wasnt as addictive as vice city or san andreas)
    - Any fighting game release by capcom. I feel capcom just release incomplete game and make you buy their on disc dlc.
    - Any yearly sports simulation. Madden, nhl, nba2k, mlb and fifa. Same engine but differrent roster update.
    Call of duty gets bashed all the time, but i got to say its got amazing replay value. Yes its true that they all look the same, and gets an anual release, but is it really worst than madden or any other sports game? If they updated the rosters every year with the same game, I could still play madden 07 and it would be fine! I really like COD ( but boy are the kids annoying, and quit when they lose, that pisses me off!) and I enjoy playing old ones like mw1,2,black ops, WAW. They are still very fun online and I really like spec ops. At least COD gets a lot of content every year and I believe its worth the price. Sports game feels like ripoffs, especially later in the consoles life when it feels they have fine tuned it to the max and throw cheap new giimicks with funky names to justify the new game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    My personal favorite and most under rated game of this generation is Crackdown on Xbox 360... The most fun I had on my 360. The best sandbox game ever! The game had a few problems, but the fun factor was 10 out of 10.
    The most overrated would be GTA4, it got perfect 10s everywhere, and im a huge fan of the ps2 games but this one was slow and boring and way too serious. I give it a 7 out of 10.
    Pretty much the two you mentioned there would top my over/underrated list. Crackdown was just immense fun on every level, especially once you had a supercharged agent. Why shoot a machine gun at gangsters when you can throw a car at them? With them still in it?

GTA4 was definitely overrated but nowhere near as overrated as Red Dead Redemption. There was a game where everyone assumed 'OMG GTA & cowboys it's gonne be awesome!!!!' and continued on with that delusion evrn when the gameplay was slower and duller than any GTA game to date.

A game series that always underwhelmed me as well was the Uncharted series. I loved the first one- well, until the silliness started, anyway- but could never get into Uncharted 2 or 3, Claudia Black's sexy Australian voice notwithstanding. The action was good but nothing I couldn't find elsewhere, and it's determination to make it cinematic detracted too much from trying to make it, well, too game-like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The entire resistance, and killzone series are WAY overrated. They are the most bland, generic shooters ever. Killzone 3 was OK.
    I agree with you, Resistance and Killzone are over rated, fun games though. Most shooters are over rated any way. My most under rated game would be L.A. Noire, I had a fun time with that game.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pfft. Underrated games? Let's talk underrated systems. The Wii's gotten more undue hatred than any other console I've seen so far and gamers this gen did miss out on many, many wonderful gems like these:

Xenoblade Chronicles
    Fragile Dreams
    Muramasa: Demon Blade
    Zack & Wiki
    Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
    Trauma Center: Second Opinion
    Trauma Center: New Blood
    Dead Space Extraction
    Dragon Quest Swords
    Cursed Mountain
    Klonoa
    Calling
    Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles
    Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles
    Konami Rebirth Series: Gradius, Contra, and Castlevania (WiiWare)
    .....& so on.

As for other non-Wii gems:

Trauma Center Under the Knife 1&2
    Devil Survivor 1&2
    Lux-Pain
    Asura's Wrath
    Child of Eden
    House of the Dead 4 (PSN)
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    Pfft. Underrated games? Let's talk underrated systems. The Wii's gotten more undue hatred than any other console I've seen so far and gamers this gen did miss out on many, many wonderful gems (PSN)
    I agree, I bashed the wii a lot in the past years and recently played a lot with my wii and it has a lot of good games. But I still feel like the original wii should have been Wii U without the gamepad. Imagine how Nintendo would have won this generation hands down... power of xboxps3 with the wii motion controls + third party games + nintendo games=win. The real problem with wii was the major third party games werent there and if they were they werent as good and of course they looked like gamecube from the previous generation. All the stupid decisions from nintendo are to blame: underwhelming hardware, no online community, poor online support, abandon the core players, no HD, shovelware, operation rainfall and the list goes on and on.Nintendo has got their head up their ass for too long and it continues with wii U : Games tied to console and not account (this one really gets me angry!), miiverse censoring everything, shovelware (again!), keeping the wii brand, no trophy or achievements , no mics in wii pro controller, button layout pro controller, poor battery life gamepad... etc etc etc. I know Nintendo always finds a strategy to make the hardware sell like hotcakes, but I think they fudged up too much and this may be the last one. Casual players bought it for wii sports and they dont give a rats ass about this new one, and ps3 and xbox owner dont see the point of buying it since the games are the same as they already have. I think ill start a thread with this lol. the only people who bought wii U are the hardcore nintendo fans, and every single one of them already bought it, so now the hardware doesnt catter to anyone, hence why you see TONS of supply in stores... and im sorry but nintendoland sucks, there I said it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Those are two very good choices. The original Crackdown on 360 should be remembered as one of the finest games of this generation. I still can't get over the fact that my save got corrupted, and I never was able to find all 500 orbs. I think I was at like 484 orbs when my saved got corrupted. The game certainly had some SERIOUS faults to it, but the good parts way overshadowed the problems. Crackdown had amazing sound design as well. Anybody who recently got a better sound system for their gaming setup should go back and retry Crackdown, the audio is damn good. I can't remember if Crackdown was a 2006 or 2007 game, but either way it was well before it's time. I think it's better than 99 percent of the stuff labeled triple A in the last few years.

To bad the sequel was so horrible.

Your overrated selection was pretty good as well. I remember when the game got 10's at a lot of places. I honestly can't blame the reviewers though, because for the first month or so that GTA4 was available, I thought it was amazing as well. It takes awhile to figure out that it isn't as great as it seems. Reviewers normally don't get the benefit of being able to let a game sit on you for awhile, before rendering a verdict on it's quality. Reviewers usually only have a couple of weeks with a game before they have to give out a verdict. It's sad, but thats just the way it is with such an insatiable demand for 0 sec info on games.

GTA4 seemed amazing when it first arrived, but it didn't take me too long to figure out that other companies were doing better open world games than the originator. The mission based style of GTS4 just seems so restrictive in comparison.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PaleSonicakuma

underrated: lost planet 2 due to the fact it had a bigger online community than the orginal but it was mostly coop and no really does rush arena. peace walker for the posibilties the game brings and so looking forward to ground zeroes and medal of honor and the followup warfighter for be more realisitc than cod. overrated: cod for obvious reasons.
    read sonic doom everyday on my myspace profile

Insert Coin (Level 0) Bubble_Man's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Brutal Legend is one of my favorite games of this gen and I believe it deserved much more sales and attention than it received. For me, the most overrated game would be GTA IV; it didn't live up to Vice City and San Andreas imo. From what I've seen of GTA V so far, that may not be the case next time around.