Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whats your most under rated game of this generation? and most over rated?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Overrated: Pretty much any FPS game, GTAIV, Gran Tourismo 5.
    Underrated: Forza 3/4, Project Gotham 3/4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Red Dead Redemption always gets sort of forgotten about in the shadow of GTA 4. I always thought that it was pretty enjoyable. Fallout 3 gets knocked a lot but it wasn't a bad game.

Bioshock always seemed overrated to me (I'll duck now). It didn't seem like a great shooter, wasn't much of an RPG. System Shock 2 was good in 1999 but it didn't seem like much had changed between then and 2007.Maybe I am being unfair though.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's my list.

Overrated:
    Halo series
    Battlefield 3
    Call of Duty series
    Catherine // Characters are immensely unlikeable, gameplay is fun though.
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    Forza series

Underrated:
    Sakura Wars (WII/PS2)
    Yakuza series
    Metal Gear Solid 2 and 4
    Gran Turismo /// is always underrated imo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Quote Originally Posted by A.C. Sativa View Post
    Overrated: Pretty much any FPS game, GTAIV, Gran Tourismo 5.
    Underrated: Forza 3/4, Project Gotham 3/4
    Totally agree. Gran turismo series is AWFUL, REPETITIVE AND BORING. Seriously, the jazzy menus, the boring as hell driver licenses thats the same in every game, stupid AI, regular boring cars, etc etc etc. This series IS the most overrated of all time. I enjoyed the first one back on psone, but the gameplay is exactly the same 2 generations later with prettier graphics. Nothing as changed. I did play a lot of gotham 3 and really enjoyed it when the 360 launched, and also enjoyed forza 2. Its been a while since i played a driving sim game, I must get forza 4 !!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    Red Dead Redemption always gets sort of forgotten about in the shadow of GTA 4. I always thought that it was pretty enjoyable. Fallout 3 gets knocked a lot but it wasn't a bad game.
    Fallout 3 doesn't get knocked a lot; It's considered one of the best games of this generation. I do prefer New Vegas though.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    Totally agree. Gran turismo series is AWFUL, REPETITIVE AND BORING. Seriously, the jazzy menus, the boring as hell driver licenses thats the same in every game, stupid AI, regular boring cars, etc etc etc. This series IS the most overrated of all time. I enjoyed the first one back on psone, but the gameplay is exactly the same 2 generations later with prettier graphics. Nothing as changed. I did play a lot of gotham 3 and really enjoyed it when the 360 launched, and also enjoyed forza 2. Its been a while since i played a driving sim game, I must get forza 4 !!
    Haha. That's exactly what I like about the GT series.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pfft. Underrated games? Let's talk underrated systems. The Wii's gotten more undue hatred than any other console I've seen so far and gamers this gen did miss out on many, many wonderful gems like these:
    Totally agree, there are tons of great games for the Wii. It's active life wasn't that long, but there was a lot of fun to be had. Metroid Prime Corruption was my favorite game of the generation. It got good reviews and word of mouth, so I can't say it was underrated.

Overrated:
    Halo 3 (360) - more of the same, only it crashed a lot. I played a few levels then sold it to buy...
    Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii) - online simply never worked for me, ever. Shame. Spent more time trying to find a match than playing the game. Sold on ebay after a month of frustration.
    Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) - it was decent, but just didn't have much character. It just felt repetitive after a while, and I never bother finishing.
    Super Paper Mario (Wii) - I loved the prior Paper Mario games - [i]loved[i] them. Played halfway through this and just stopped. The "flatland" characters were really boring, the writing wasn't nearly as good as previous games, and it wasn't enough of a platformer or adventure game to be good at either. Neat idea, just didn't work for me.

Underrated:
    Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 (Wii) - solid if unspectacular 1p FPS, but great 32-player online that worked well, and a killer light gun mode. It packed a lo into the package and was a ton of fun.
    Last edited by BydoEmpire; 02-01-2013 at 12:57 PM.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Blur. Excellent amalgamation of Burnout/NFS driving and Wipeout/Mario Kart style combat. It's a pity hardly anyone played it.
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Insert Coin (Level 0) LordsOfSkulls's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    LordsOfSkulls
    PSN
    LordsOfSkulls

Overated i Would say any First Person Shooters, cause we have so many of them right now.....

Underated All JRPGs

I dont know one of strongest features of PS2 was all the RPGs on that system, but now it like convereted all into FPS,,,

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd View Post
    Resident Evil 5 (co-op was *gasp* fun)
    Honestly, doing this entire game in local co-op with one of my buddies was one of my top experiences of this generation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    Fallout 3 doesn't get knocked a lot; It's considered one of the best games of this generation. I do prefer New Vegas though.
    That's fair enough. Looking on the Fallout (and Arcanum) boards on places like GoG there seems to be a general sense that it was not as good as it could have been - that it is good but not great. I know the reviews were good, I just got a feeling that the fan reaction was lukewarm. I don't know if this is just a small group of militant FO2 lovers who have coloured my perception of how the game is seen.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    My personal favorite and most under rated game of this generation is Crackdown on Xbox 360... The most fun I had on my 360. The best sandbox game ever! The game had a few problems, but the fun factor was 10 out of 10.
    The most overrated would be GTA4, it got perfect 10s everywhere, and im a huge fan of the ps2 games but this one was slow and boring and way too serious. I give it a 7 out of 10.
    Crackdown looks pretty fun. Is this only for Xbox 360? I agree, GTA4 was overrated. I thought the controls ruined the game play. It almost seems glitchy at times because the driving controls is so bad. I mean it's not horrible, but it's not fun to drive lol. Not like in GTA: San Andreas. If you ask me San Andreas was the best game out of all the GTAs, simply because the controls were perfect, the game was fun, you can't take it too seriously because it's jut too fun killing people. I'm not sure if they have San Andreas for the PS3 or Xbox 360 yet, but for the ps2 it's amazingly fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Astrid.Hecate View Post
    Crackdown looks pretty fun. Is this only for Xbox 360?
    That is correct.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    That is correct.
    This sucks. I only have all the ps3 consoles. My brother has a Xbox 360, even he hates it.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    That's fair enough. Looking on the Fallout (and Arcanum) boards on places like GoG there seems to be a general sense that it was not as good as it could have been - that it is good but not great. I know the reviews were good, I just got a feeling that the fan reaction was lukewarm. I don't know if this is just a small group of militant FO2 lovers who have coloured my perception of how the game is seen.
    It is best to ignore anyone who's ever posted on the "No Mutants Allowed" board. This includes 95% of the folks who post on GOG.

Both of the current gen Fallout games have sold millions of copies and are correctly considered to be some of the best games this generation. If you haven't tried them I heartily recommend them.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Underrated: Klonoa (Wii)
    Overrated: Call of Duty (All of them)

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Im going to have to come back to this one for underrated because while there are a couple i could name i think im just confusing underrated with games that aren't mentioned as much but are pretty beloved by the few who actually did manage to play it i.e. binary domain, silent hill downpour

Edit: just thought of one, silent hill homecoming, I personally thought it was a great game, deserving to be included within the silent hill mythos, it just doesn't quite stack to the 4 that came before it. Taken on its own, its a solid game, maybe an 8 out of 10 for me

Overrated? Where do i begin

Gta4, worst out of the series, thank god there are so many distractions because the story and missions fucking suck

Red dead redemption, not really a bad game but after a few hours you begin to see it for what it really is, gta4 on horses but with a lot less things to do

The entire assassins creed series, honestly this should have been released as a novel or comic series, the gameplay and overall world are boring to me, I hate all the characters, i hate the cities, im lukewarm on the gameplay, im never going to nderstand why this game series sells. Much as it does

This one hurts me personally as im a huge fan and i originally gave this a 9 out of 10,but after recently playing it through again start to finish....metal gear solid 4.
    The boss battles sucked, no codec, not to many interesting conversations, wierd retcons that almost break series continuity (looking at you vamp), THE ENTIRE EUROPE CHAPTER and a couple of others that are too depressing to list, fan bias is the only thing that can get you through this game and its cutscenes
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    It is best to ignore anyone who's ever posted on the "No Mutants Allowed" board. This includes 95% of the folks who post on GOG.

Both of the current gen Fallout games have sold millions of copies and are correctly considered to be some of the best games this generation. If you haven't tried them I heartily recommend them.
    Missed this post before!

I've played both Fallout 3 and New Vegas an enjoyed them both. I knew they got some good reviews and sold well so I was surpised when I came across bashing when I was looking for Arcanum Mods on GoG. Yep, the GoG boards led me to NMA where there was yet more bashing.

I therefore remove Fallout 3 from my list of underrated games.

Instead I shall add - Alpha Protocol. Yes it has some glaring flaws, but it was a valliant and fun attempt at a spy game where you can talk yourself out of (or in to) some situations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

ohhh... metal gear solid 4. I really tried to play it, but i just couldnt stand all the cutscenes. 2 minutes of gameplay, 10 minutes of cutscenes. Its more like a cheesy interactive movie than a game. Its just not fun, but it does look good! I liked the original mgs on ps1 and mgs3 (didnt like mgs2) but mgs4 is not a good game.