Thread: Super Mario Wacky Worlds (CD-i prototype) -- Where to find the ISO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Super Mario Wacky Worlds (CD-i prototype) -- Where to find the ISO?

As many of you know, Super Mario Wacky Worlds is an unfinished CD-i game that was in development around 1993, and it eventually resurfaced on the internet in ISO form about 10 years ago. However, discussion about the game has died off in recent years, so I couldn't find any threads that have working links to the game. Most of the links to the game are from 5-10 years ago, and they are now dead or lead to websites that might not be trustworthy.

Does anyone know a working and trustworthy link to the ISO that has a good version of the prototype? Thanks in advance for any help.

Cherry (Level 1) Jack_Burton_BYOAC's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have no clue, but I wish you good luck in your search. The beta/proto communities can be very funky about sharing this kind of stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

maybe underground gamer? I haven't checked.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is this not it? If so, it took about 3 seconds of google searching to find.

http://www.emuparadise.me/Philips_CD...)_(CD-i)/92099

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Behold the mighty wiggy

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Can I do a rom/iso request too? Oh wait, there's google for that, and it's frowned upon here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    Can I do a rom/iso request too? Oh wait, there's google for that, and it's frowned upon here.
    Thanks Mr. O'Riley, it's been awhile since I've received a good lecture about the Digital Press rules... Look, I'm aware of Google and how to use it, and I promise I went there first. But there's a reason why I was reaching out to the experts on this forum for a little extra help on this one. There are multiple problems with finding Super Mario Wacky Worlds on Google: 1. There are multiple versions of the prototype, some much better than others; 2. There have been known issues with certains versions not burning to discs at all after being downloaded (yes, I actually want to play this on my CD-i, not an emulator); and 3. There were some ISO files for Wacky Worlds posted with viruses in them.

Now I know those three things could apply to just about any ROM or ISO... but I've never downloaded a ROM or ISO in my life because I buy all of my games in original form and play them on the original systems. Obviously that's not possible in this case. But since I don't steal games, I have no familiarity with the ISO world out there. So since I'm not some teenage kid trying to rip off every PS1 game ever made, how about allowing me my one ISO request of my life just this once? I'm not asking for the DP community to band together and do a massive Google manhunt for my ISO-- I'm simply just wondering if anyone has a link that they have used successfully to find a good version of the prototype. Again, I'm not looking for an ISO of Punky Skunk here, so I'm sure this info would actually help other people too.

Finally Phil, I know you're not too familiar with the history of Digital Press since you only joined within the past few years, but back in the day there were ROMs hosted right on this site and there were forums devoted to emulation and prototypes (for example, see: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...4-rom-requests). Joe eventually ended that, because of the gray area involved in promoting free downloads of released and retailed games. Those concerns don't apply to unreleased prototypes like SMWW, so it's not frowned upon in the same way as a request for a Boogerman ROM.

I do sincerely apologize if this topic offended you or anyone else, as my intention was only to get some specialized info from the knowledgeable collectors here at DP that I couldn't get on google. I can assure you that I checked there first, and even searched the entire DP forums first, before finally giving up and posting this topic. So let's all be nice and get along. And sorry that I didn't give you this lengthy background information in my original post, but I was just trying to adhere to the rules by keeping my opening post short and to the point....
    Last edited by MF_Luder; 01-14-2013 at 06:15 AM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ive gotten a HUGE part of my iso/rom "collection" for lack of a better term from emuparadise, theyre safe. As far as burning iso/bin files to cdr youll want to use Imgburn and select "write image file to disk", then select the cue file that came with the iso/bin file for the game you want, and make sure the burning speed in your drive is around 4x. Use a good cdr disk too, not really cheap stuff thats a brand you havent heard of before. I downloaded imgburn off of here http://www.fantasyanime.com/emuhelp/emuhelp_ssf.htm I trust that site too, gotten most of my emulators from it.
    Last edited by IHatedSega; 01-14-2013 at 06:22 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    Ive gotten a HUGE part of my iso/rom "collection" for lack of a better term from emuparadise, theyre safe. As far as burning iso/bin files to cdr youll want to use Imgburn and select "write image file to disk", then select the cue file that came with the iso/bin file for the game you want, and make sure the burning speed in your drive is around 4x. Use a good cdr disk too, not really cheap stuff thats a brand you havent heard of before.
    Thanks. Very helpful. I'll try out emuparadise since you've had good experiences with them. I'll check back with an update after I try it out and let you guys know if SMWW works, so that it benefits future people searching for the same info.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you have all those concerns, then maybe explaining them in the OP would have helped. It just sounded like you couldn't find the file, period, based on what you said about dead links.

I'll 2nd the awesomeness of EMUparadise. Pretty much use them for all of my ISO needs at this point.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And it has a ton of translated games and hacks of older games too. The only other site I use to get games off of is coolroms. The forums on emuparadise can help you if you have problems with an emulator, but since youre using a real deal cd-i i guess you dont need to really look there for help.
    Last edited by IHatedSega; 01-14-2013 at 07:09 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Hey since you're planning on playing this proto on your real CD-i, I have a question. Which models of the CD-i allow burned discs to play? I know the Magnavox CD-i 450 model does not. Do I need one of those giant original Philips models?
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    If you have all those concerns, then maybe explaining them in the OP would have helped. It just sounded like you couldn't find the file, period, based on what you said about dead links.

I'll 2nd the awesomeness of EMUparadise. Pretty much use them for all of my ISO needs at this point.

You're right, good point. I was trying to keep the OP short, since lengthy background discussion usually just results in people thinking "this is like homework" and not replying at all. A decade ago, this prototype was heavily discussed, so all of the issues surrounding finding it were well known-- but since talk has now died down, providing a little more background would have helped so that I didn't come off as one of the lazy ROM hoarders that commonly troll internet message boards. I had mentioned finding some links but that they seemed untrustworthy (I looked for about an hour and found 3 supposed d/l's of the game, but each was a different file size which seemed to be a red flag to me), but I should have been more specific. But wiggy, I didn't have any problem with your original response. I wasn't going to say anything at all until the police showed up in post #6. Nothing worse than a self-appointed moderator.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Hey since you're planning on playing this proto on your real CD-i, I have a question. Which models of the CD-i allow burned discs to play? I know the Magnavox CD-i 450 model does not. Do I need one of those giant original Philips models?
    My understanding has always been that all CD-i consoles can play CD-R discs, although many have problems with CD-RW discs. See here for more info, at heading 4.12: http://www.icdia.co.uk/faq/cdifaq4.html. But so far I've only played legit copies of games on my CD-i, so I don't have first-hand knowledge to confirm that it would work. I certainly hope it does since I own a CD-i 550 myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No worries, man. I didn't take offense or anything, I just didn't get what the problem was being that it was seemingly so easy to find

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by MF_Luder View Post
    Thanks Mr. O'Riley, it's been awhile since I've received a good lecture about the Digital Press rules... Look, I'm aware of Google and how to use it, and I promise I went there first. But there's a reason why I was reaching out to the experts on this forum for a little extra help on this one. There are multiple problems with finding Super Mario Wacky Worlds on Google: 1. There are multiple versions of the prototype, some much better than others; 2. There have been known issues with certains versions not burning to discs at all after being downloaded (yes, I actually want to play this on my CD-i, not an emulator); and 3. There were some ISO files for Wacky Worlds posted with viruses in them.

Now I know those three things could apply to just about any ROM or ISO... but I've never downloaded a ROM or ISO in my life because I buy all of my games in original form and play them on the original systems. Obviously that's not possible in this case. But since I don't steal games, I have no familiarity with the ISO world out there. So since I'm not some teenage kid trying to rip off every PS1 game ever made, how about allowing me my one ISO request of my life just this once? I'm not asking for the DP community to band together and do a massive Google manhunt for my ISO-- I'm simply just wondering if anyone has a link that they have used successfully to find a good version of the prototype. Again, I'm not looking for an ISO of Punky Skunk here, so I'm sure this info would actually help other people too.

Finally Phil, I know you're not too familiar with the history of Digital Press since you only joined within the past few years, but back in the day there were ROMs hosted right on this site and there were forums devoted to emulation and prototypes (for example, see: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...4-rom-requests). Joe eventually ended that, because of the gray area involved in promoting free downloads of released and retailed games. Those concerns don't apply to unreleased prototypes like SMWW, so it's not frowned upon in the same way as a request for a Boogerman ROM.

I do sincerely apologize if this topic offended you or anyone else, as my intention was only to get some specialized info from the knowledgeable collectors here at DP that I couldn't get on google. I can assure you that I checked there first, and even searched the entire DP forums first, before finally giving up and posting this topic. So let's all be nice and get along. And sorry that I didn't give you this lengthy background information in my original post, but I was just trying to adhere to the rules by keeping my opening post short and to the point....
    Oh cool, I see you got my name from checking out my Youtube channel. Anyways, I wasn't aware that isos like this were allowed to be requested, so I stand corrected. I guess there was I time within the 2 year period that you and I joined that they accepted ROM requests, I actually didn't know. I hope you don't hold any resentment with me because I had a little attitude about upholding the rules.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by MF_Luder View Post
    My understanding has always been that all CD-i consoles can play CD-R discs, although many have problems with CD-RW discs. See here for more info, at heading 4.12: http://www.icdia.co.uk/faq/cdifaq4.html. But so far I've only played legit copies of games on my CD-i, so I don't have first-hand knowledge to confirm that it would work. I certainly hope it does since I own a CD-i 550 myself.
    Huh that's weird because I tried to burn an ISO of Tetris that I found on emuparadise or romnation and it wouldn't boot from a CD-R. I used IMG Burn to burn the disc. Maybe I should try again?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Hey guys here's an update. The CD-i 450 Magnavox model will play burned games. What I had to do was put in the disc, turn the system on then when the disc wouldn't boot I opened the lid and closed it back up. Then it successfully loaded. I don't know if it's because the laser is old or if it was because of the brand of CD-R media I used.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Huh that's weird because I tried to burn an ISO of Tetris that I found on emuparadise or romnation and it wouldn't boot from a CD-R. I used IMG Burn to burn the disc. Maybe I should try again?
    Maybe give Nero a run. Always seems to be the emulation/ROM-friendly soft for me.