Thread: Alternate AC Adaptor for NES?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Alternate AC Adaptor for NES?

After having some problems with my NES, I figured out that the issue was with the AC adaptor. I tried a friend's SMS adaptor and it worked just as great as it ever did.
    Now, I have found an AC adaptor with the same plug. Problem is, I'm not the best with electrical stuff and wasn't sure if it would be okay to use. Some of the stuff is the same as the official Nintendo AC adaptor, but there are differences, and I was hoping someone here could tell me whether this will be okay to use with my NES or not...

Input: AC 120v 60Hz 6W
    Output: AC 9v 200MA

I know some of that is the same as the official NES AC adaptor, but I'm not sure if the differences would cause a problem.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. (:

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 369WIERDO369 View Post
    After having some problems with my NES, I figured out that the issue was with the AC adaptor. I tried a friend's SMS adaptor and it worked just as great as it ever did.
    Now, I have found an AC adaptor with the same plug. Problem is, I'm not the best with electrical stuff and wasn't sure if it would be okay to use. Some of the stuff is the same as the official Nintendo AC adaptor, but there are differences, and I was hoping someone here could tell me whether this will be okay to use with my NES or not...

Input: AC 120v 60Hz 6W
    Output: AC 9v 200MA

I know some of that is the same as the official NES AC adaptor, but I'm not sure if the differences would cause a problem.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. (:
    200mA is not enough current to run an NES properly, it would cause problems. I believe NES systems require 800mA as stated on the bottom, though original adapters provide 1.3A just to be safe.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    200mA is not enough current to run an NES properly, it would cause problems. I believe NES systems require 800mA as stated on the bottom, though original adapters provide 1.3A just to be safe.

Well that sucks.
    Thanks for the info!

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Gameguy is right, 200mA is not enough. In general with AC adapters, you need the Voltage to match, and the Amps to be the same or higher. The device only draws whatever amps it needs and it must have enough, but the voltage is what it is and a big mismatch there can cause damage.

Also, with the NES it is okay to use an adapter that outputs DC even though the original outputs AC. DC adapters are much more common to find. Don't go messing around with DC vs AC on other devices, just the NES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

couple things to remember:

The NES or NES 2 Topload (NOT the Famicom or any clone) uses a AC 9v power supply. Because the NES does the voltage regulation internally, it can pretty much take any DC power supply from 9v to 12v.

The amp rating needs to be at least 750 mA, but unlike voltage, there is no cap for how high it can be. It just won't use it. On the other hand, if you use a 12v power supply, it will act as a 9v and waste the extra electricity as heat.

If you have an old router or phone or something like that, chances are you'll find a power supply that will work.

just remember the golden rule: NEVER use an NES power supply on ANYTHING ELSE but an NES. The AC voltage will f*** you up.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The TG-16 adapter is my favourite, since it isn't a wall wart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

TG-16 and Genesis model one both work fine and are cheap and plentiful.

is neither blue nor fast thom_m's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sorry to dig this thread out of its grave, but I didn't want to open a new one about it. I'm having problems with my NES ac adapter as well (it's already an alternative, 12v one): the little red led dims in and out, and the console won't work. Assuming it's a problem with the adapter, I tried to dig out some old DC ones (following the instructions I read here), and none of them worked. What could I be doing wrong here?
    Blowing on cartridges since 1987

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

just buy an actual NES adaptor from ebay. Using an adaptor NOT meant for the system or some third party radio shack junk is a TERRIBLE idea.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

i've found boatloads of NES adaptors at thrift shops. kind of hard to mistake a wall wart that says nintendo on it. its either going to be NES or SNES

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    just buy an actual NES adaptor from ebay. Using an adaptor NOT meant for the system or some third party radio shack junk is a TERRIBLE idea.
    Original NES adapters are hard to find and expensive here on Brazil. An alternative replacement is, sadly, the easiest solution by far

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by thom_m View Post
    Original NES adapters are hard to find and expensive here on Brazil. An alternative replacement is, sadly, the easiest solution by far
    Use one for Sega Master System. I heard Sega Master Systems were really common in Brazil.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you've tried several adapters and none of them work, assuming that they're reasonably close to 9v->12v @ 850mA, then you have something wrong internal to the NES. Sounds like something in the rectification / regulation stage, like a bad diode bridge, main filter cap, or 7805 regulator.

You mentioned that you tried a few DC supplies - are they all of the same polarity? If so, try to find one of the opposite polarity and see if it makes a difference.
    Console5.com - Console parts, kits, games and more. [shop] [wiki] [RSS] [f] [t]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thom_m View Post
    Sorry to dig this thread out of its grave, but I didn't want to open a new one about it. I'm having problems with my NES ac adapter as well (it's already an alternative, 12v one): the little red led dims in and out, and the console won't work. Assuming it's a problem with the adapter, I tried to dig out some old DC ones (following the instructions I read here), and none of them worked. What could I be doing wrong here?
    Do you have a multimeter? That's one way to assure that the adapter is actually the problem before you spend more money on another

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    Do you have a multimeter? That's one way to assure that the adapter is actually the problem before you spend more money on another
    No, I don't - and I wouldn't know hot to use it if I had one avaiable! Also, I really doubt that any game technician in my town has any experience with the NES, so I really hope it's not an internal problem, like FABombjoy also mentioned earlier...