Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Jaguar , 3DO and Saturn emulation still garbage ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Is Jaguar , 3DO and Saturn emulation still garbage ?

Most of the early systems can be emulated just fine. Super Ninendo, Genesis, Sega CD, Neo-Geo, etc, etc. Near perfect emulation. Extremely good PS1 emulation and N64 emulation.

The Atari Jaguar, Panasonic 3DO and Sega Satun were always the exception. As somebody that hasn't been keeping up on emulation, has anything chaned in the last 10 years with these systems ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Not in my experience. The Jaguar 3DO and Saturn were overly complex machines to begin with, and emulation is difficult to achieve even with vastly more powerful hardware. Compounding the problem is how generally unpopular they are.

Your best bet is to seek out the original hardware and burn games to disc rather than try and emulate them. Good Old Games has some Saturn offerings but they kind of suck. Still good emulation of the Saturn must be possible as very good ports of Saturn games including Radiant Silvergun are on Xbox Live.

For now though, I'd say the answer is no, there are no good 3D0/Saturn/Jag emulators.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Saturn has gotten a bit better with the newer version of SSF but the other two still don't seem very good. 4DO is laggy and FreeDO doesn't support USB joystick making it undesirable for me even if it might run better than 4DO now. The Wii and Xbox emulation of it are more like proof of concept as neither system can handle it from what I see. Either that or it's just because they haven't gotten far enough with them.

With Jaguar I haven't even looked for anything new yet. I don't think I saw USB joystick support for the one I had tried Zool 2 on. My main problem with whatever Jag emulator I used was that most roms I wanted to try wouldn't boot on it.

I'm so glad authentic 3DO's play burned games. I'd like to get another 3DO system when I can afford one so I can play Bust-A-Move 1 and some overlooked fighters & RPGs.

The main thing that sucks about the Saturn emulator is that you pretty much need to be running Daemon Tools virtual cd drive while you run it. I still haven't figured out if that is the program that ruined my laptop's memory causing it to freeze up every few minutes or if it was something else. Out of the box my laptop was fine, but I noticed those problems a little bit after running that for a while.
    Last edited by Rickstilwell1; 01-18-2013 at 07:49 PM.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always thought Saturn emulation wouldn't work out any way. Correct me if I'm wrong but Saturn renders Quadrilaterals. Everything now a days renders in triangles. So wouldn't Saturn polygon games look weird? I've never emulated Saturn .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Atari Jaguar must be the worst system released ever. There is not a single game worth playing on the system, and yes i have played tempest 2000, i own it. Even if the system and games are rare and valuable, I dont get it. And jaguar cd could possibly be worse than the system itself. awful!!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BricatSegaFan View Post
    I always thought Saturn emulation wouldn't work out any way. Correct me if I'm wrong but Saturn renders Quadrilaterals. Everything now a days renders in triangles. So wouldn't Saturn polygon games look weird? I've never emulated Saturn .
    They look just like they do in videos I see of them on youtube. The emulation isnt perfect over all since a ton of games dont work on SSF, but a lot of games I burned to cdr work. Radiant Silvergun is a little slow and Astal wont run, Castlevania SoTN has some static when certain graphics happen in front of sprites. Still Im very happy I can play great games that are Saturn exclusives or have superior ports on it.

I didnt go with the virtual drive route to do Saturn emulation, its not worth it to me with all the headaches involved.

Heres a list of compatibility, it doesnt list all the library, so I dont know how well other games that arent listed work.
    http://lusspace.free.fr/ssf.htm
    Last edited by IHatedSega; 01-18-2013 at 09:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    Atari Jaguar must be the worst system released ever. There is not a single game worth playing on the system, and yes i have played tempest 2000, i own it. Even if the system and games are rare and valuable, I dont get it. And jaguar cd could possibly be worse than the system itself. awful!!
    Tempest 2K, Raiden, Iorn Soldier, Alien vs Predator, Doom, Wolfenstein, Zool 2, Cybermorph.

All amazing games and worth getting a Jaguar for.
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    I didnt go with the virtual drive route to do Saturn emulation, its not worth it to me with all the headaches involved.
    Right click > Mount Image

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^^^ LOfuckingL!

I always thought Saturn EMU was a bitch because of its wacky piggyback processor BS that made programming for it a total PITA in the first place, not because of how it renders 3D shapes.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I think the lack of 3DO emulation is definitely affected by the minimal interest in the system. Jaguar has had a number of emu's worked on, I think the issue is that the best and brightest haven't been drawn to it because it's probably not fun to program. Virtual Jaguar (download) emulates well, though the joystick support isn't good. All the Jag emu's run too heavy on even new PC's. Not optimized.

Saturn emulation, I find SSF pretty easy to use and configure, and I'm lazy. Virtual CloneDrive is really easy to use as well. The games that are stated to work run flawlessly on my PC, which is fairly powerful I guess. I also don't have any Saturn games, so I don't know how well the CD-Rom plugin works. There's still emulation work to be done, no question, but the Saturn has a large if albeit underground following. Especially in Japan, from where SSF is being developed from.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    ^^^ LOfuckingL!

I always thought Saturn EMU was a bitch because of its wacky piggyback processor BS that made programming for it a total PITA in the first place, not because of how it renders 3D shapes.
    Indeed. Well programming back then was tough because SEGA's developer tools, libraries, etc. were notoriously poor. How it rendered was only a problem because it went against industry standard, which meant more work. The Saturn was very inefficient in terms of its bus and memory access, not to mention processors which were not customized for the tasks at hand. I mean, why were they using off the shelf processors in 1994? Anyway, I have to imagine the sheer hardware complexity is what has made emulation tough.
    Last edited by Greg2600; 01-18-2013 at 11:14 PM.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post

1. Worst system ever was actually the 32X.

2. Cybermorph is actually a damn good game if you give it a fair shake. It's not a Starfox type game, it's more of a puzzle game than anything. But a VERY good puzzle game.

3. Doom is one of the best console ports ever (despite the lack of music)

4. AVP might not stand the test of time very well, but that game was pretty sensational when it was first released.

5. Raiden is a pretty decent port, with great color.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Jaguar emulation has been on the rise the past year or so after a long period of idleness. Still far away from being a legitimate replacement for the original hardware though but at least advancements are finally being made again.

And while I don't agree with some of the better game's that have been listed in defense of it, it's certainly far above the situation as portrayed by PreZZ. It's a worthwhile addition to any classic gaming collection with easily enough legitimately fun games to justify its use of shelf space.

The excellent Super Burnout alone would be enough to keep the dust off mine. Worth a few hours of playtime every few months even after all of these years.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Right click > Mount Image
    The free version of daemontools can give you a BSOD if you have a certain setting not made before installing it, and theres adware crap too you may deal with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Does that really count though? It was an add-on afterall. Kolibri was fantastic, and while Chaotix was love it or hate it, I loved it. Great home ports of Mortal Kombat II and NBA Jam TE. Star Wars Arcade's only home port was on the 32X, as was unarguably the best version of Virtua Racing. Also arcade perfect ports of After Burner and Space Harrier.

I am a huge 32X fanboy, and will defend it until I die.

As for "Worst console ever", why not the Pippin or CD-i?
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Shadow Squadron and Virtua Fighter are great as well.
    I really liked the 32X and was disappointed when support was dropped.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Buy a bare bones 3do with controller and hook-ups. Mine runs my back up copies perfectly. I always loved 3do and im playing star control 2 for the first time right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    I don't buy that at all. Mortal Kombat 2 was a great port for its time. Virtua Fighter and Virtua Racing were great games for the 32x.Space Harrier was very good game for the 32x also. Knuckles Chaotix also was a good game to me. I am going by what I own for the 32x. The system showed potential based on the good games it had. The real problems for the 32x was Sega dropped support for the system because of the Saturn and Sega releasing the 32x a year before the Saturn got released in the states. The System was good, but the time of releasing was bad.

The Cd-i actually is worse than the 32x.
    Last edited by 7th lutz; 01-19-2013 at 09:23 AM.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

There's some Russians working on IDE replacement boards for the 3DO. However, they are not widely available, costly, and only work on certain console models. Apparently the 3DO is popular with Russians?

The Jaguar emulator I spoke of is in constant dev. by AtariAge user Shamus, so it should be getting better. There are some decent games on that system, and I really liked the audio/music on it. However, the stock controllers were among the worst ever created, and the 3D and digitized games are very dated. Last night I tried Checkered Flag, ghastly game. I wouldn't beat up anyone for owning it, but I certainly don't advise it over most systems. The CD attachment is VERY expensive.

The 32X was not the worst system ever by far. It was definitely one of the most ill advised released in history. Greatly harmed SEGA's reputation, IMO.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    The CD attachment is VERY expensive.

The 32X was not the worst system ever by far. It was definitely one of the most ill advised released in history. Greatly harmed SEGA's reputation, IMO.
    And very buggy. I watched that Spoony review of the Highlander game, the damn thing closes ON the cd pretty much, wow what a design flaw.

Id say the Sega CD and that Genesis/CD combo unit was the beginning of Segas downfall, the 32X was further proof of things not right in the head, and then the Saturn Day release was the final nail in their coffin, the Dreamcast was their last chance at holding on and staying in the console business, but it was too late. If the Saturn wasnt released too soon, nd maybe the development wasnt rushed with the different 3D processors then it would have been easier to develop for, and then the release date would have happened so people would have had enough time to plan and make games for it. It would have also have lessened the PS1's awesome library since a lot of games that became PS1 exclusives were also going to have a Saturn version.

Emulation wise, Kega Fusion is amazing. Wish SSF becomes as good by the end of this decade.

Id say if we look at all consoles made then the Game.com would be the worst console besides the CD-I. If anything it has the WORST commercial ever. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp460zM_PGA

Insert Coin (Level 0) cholkavich's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cholkavich
    PSN
    Cholkavich

For 3DO Ive used an emulator called 4DO, and Ive been able to play the games Ive been interested in. Its not perfect but what emulator is haha