Thread: Spyro The Dragon Trilogy on PS1 <3

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Spyro The Dragon Trilogy on PS1 <3

I remember seeing the commercial with the talking Sheep with char on it for the first time, after that I begged my parents for a PS1, and I bought Spyro The Dragon with it.

These 3 games were so amazing. I had dyslexia, so before a lot of games Id play I couldnt figure out something, but when the PS came out games had spoken dialog, and these were the first games I beat. Nowadays these games arent talked about that much, and I know the reason why. Insomniac allowed for the series to live on instead of (what should have happened) putting it to rest, but another company would make the games. When I bought my PS2 Enter The Dragonfly was the game Ibought with it, this killed my childhood. I bought Jak and Daxter though so that saved the PS2 for me, but I never bought another Spyro game after that. I read reviews of newer games and I see stuff, theres no point in playing other games besides the first 3.

This was one of the great trilogies on the PS1 along with FF 7 thru 9 and Crash. I really wish more people would talk about them. Maybe this decade people will be more nostalgic about them, I know I am. It had awesome music, cool graphics, Autumn Plains in SPyro 2 has my favorite graphics in a PS1 game when youre ontop of the castle flying. The gameplay was perfect on the ps1 controller, the O button was red so it was his flame button, perfect. Games were mainly easy, but some little minigames could be difficult in the 3rd game. The second game is my favorite and the 3rd is my lesser favorite, that was probably Insomniacs least favorite too since they knew they were out of ideas for the series when they completed work on it.

What are you guys thoughts on this?
    Last edited by IHatedSega; 01-19-2013 at 08:59 AM.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I always found the commercials pretty annoying myself, but the games are good. I've only played the first one to completion, though, which I did for the first time just a couple years ago. I wish there was a little more meat to the games, though. They're really basically nothing but wandering around, collecting stuff. I mean, hell, you don't even have to get to the goal in most stages; you can just as well exit from the menu and still keep all that you found and continue to make progress. I like my 3D platformers to have more true platforming and keep the focus on navigating through an obstacle course of a stage. But still, Spyro is good fun, and I like the dreamy, surreal visuals too. Don't care for the music at all, though; I'm surprised it gets so much praise. Then again, I'm not a fan of The Police either, and the drummer is the composer.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    They're really basically nothing but wandering around, collecting stuff. I mean, hell, you don't even have to get to the goal in most stages; you can just as well exit from the menu and still keep all that you found and continue to make progress.
    I guess youd hate Ape Escape too then. You cant just leave a level, you have to get to the end in the second game to get the talismans to access the end of the world and move onto the next. And the point of the first game is to free all the older Dragons so you have to go to the goal of the level to do that. Everything in the games is designed for you to do everything so you can unlock the real ending and have 100% complete. In the games you learn different abilities later on that allows you to go back and complete all the levels.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

This is my favorite game trilogy of all time. I played it obsessively as a kid, especially Ripto's Rage and Year of the Dragon. I just loved the wide variety of worlds, and the voice acting and writing was always hilarious.

The original was fun, but had a few flaws that made me only play it to completion a few times. Ripto's Rage is one of my favorite games of all time, the atmosphere and variety of worlds was expounded upon even more, and Ripto sure was memorable as a villain. Year of the Dragon I felt was a bit different from the other games in the franchise, though. It gave the most variety of worlds out of any of them, but it was different. It actually gave you a reason to go back to the worlds you had completed since you now have access to character/ability you didn't have before. There was just so much to do, I honestly had no idea where they would go from there.

Apparently, nowhere. Naughty Dog said they dropped Spyro because "he can't hold a gun," and their Agent 9 spinoff game that was going to be made for that exact reason fell through when they hit it big with Jak and Daxter. I bought the first Spyro game on the PS2, saw Spyro shooting bubbles and lightning, and wondered what the hell went so wrong. That whole "Legend of Spyro" series made it even worse. Only one developer can treat Spyro right, and they've said straight up that they're out of ideas for him.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Apparently, nowhere. Naughty Dog said they dropped Spyro because "he can't hold a gun," and their Agent 9 spinoff game that was going to be made for that exact reason fell through when they hit it big with Jak and Daxter. I bought the first Spyro game on the PS2, saw Spyro shooting bubbles and lightning, and wondered what the hell went so wrong. That whole "Legend of Spyro" series made it even worse. Only one developer can treat Spyro right, and they've said straight up that they're out of ideas for him.
    Spyro was an Insomniac production and I remember in an interview that they had simply run outta ideas for what to do next with the franchise after Spyro 3 so they didn't feel a need to fight to keep it. Also I think the ip was owned by Universal since they were a partnering publisher for the games so when they broke off to become quasi independent Universal kept the Spyro rights with them.

I really loved these games too but not initially. At the time my sister was really into them so of course I had to dismiss them whenever they came up . lol It wasn't until actually played them that I appreciated how much simple fun that they are. They are the kinda games that you can jump into and play for hours just enjoying yourself without realizing it. Ripto's Rage was definitely my favorite and the first one I played. The first and third entries of the series follow a really common game sequel trajectory, the first one needed more polish and the third started adding too much random crap simply for the sake of being new. Anyways great simple platforming/collecting game from that era up there with the original Crash series and SM64.

Also word to the wise I have no idea if this is just me or not but the Spyro II on PSN sucks. The emulation is pretty terrible with slowdowns and glitches everywhere, possible I just have a bad memory but I never remember the game running that bad on the PS1. Not sure if its just the PSN copy or the disc runs crappy too but it was pretty disappointing.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    I guess youd hate Ape Escape too then. You cant just leave a level, you have to get to the end in the second game to get the talismans to access the end of the world and move onto the next. And the point of the first game is to free all the older Dragons so you have to go to the goal of the level to do that. Everything in the games is designed for you to do everything so you can unlock the real ending and have 100% complete. In the games you learn different abilities later on that allows you to go back and complete all the levels.
    Uh, I never said anything about hating Spyro. o_O I enjoy the games, and I have high hopes for Ape Escape whenever I get around to buying it. I wasn't really clear about it, but I was referring specifically to the first Spyro when I was talking about exiting via the menu. There are a couple stages where you have to go through the in-stage exit in order to progress, but most don't require it. Yeah, finding the dragons (which I see as more collecting) usually has you exploring a good bit of the levels, but you can still bypass some parts by exiting through the menu. It just gives the stages a very different feel compared to games in which you're required to find the exit to get out of the stage. Makes it a more laid-back, relaxing experience, as opposed to the desperate tension of games in which you're left wondering if you can make it all the way to the end or if you're going to lose all the progress you made in the stage.

As for Spyro post-PS1, I think it's a victim of its own fan base at this point. The people who are into the modern Spyro games seem to mostly be this weird furry crowd that cares more about Spyro's back story and the fact that he has a girlfriend now than about the gameplay of the games. They're approaching the game with a completely opposite set of wants than those who enjoyed the classic Spyro games. Although now there's the Skylanders series, which seems to be taking the franchise in a new direction.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think those games were great entry level games. If I wanted kids those would be the first games Id have them play, and NES Mario ones.

At least well always have these 3 masterpieces.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Year of the Dragon was without a doubt the swansong of the entire Spyro series.

The other 2 are pretty great too, although the first had some early installment weirdness.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Haoie View Post
    although the first had some early installment weirdness.
    I preferred Riptos Rage over the other 2 games for over a decade, but playing them all over again this fall I liked the first game more. I dont know why, probably the music and art direction given the limitations of the time. The polygons of the dragons were crude but they were able to use those for artistic purposes. The Dream Weavers world is full of some of the most imaginary imagery Ive ever seen in a game, especially a 3D one.

This was a level I fell more in love with.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Sundowner's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know, I love platformers more than any other genre, but for some reason I didn't get that into the spyro games. I bought the first spyro off a friend and I didn't get too far in it before I got bored. Maybe I should give it another try?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, yes you should, right now. Its $10 on the PSN, and about $13 or so at retro stores.