Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you tell people who, when you buy a physical copy of a game, say its a waste of money?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Urzu402 View Post
    Sorry I didn't specify this earlier cause I seen one person who asked but I meant how to explain to people why people who collect prefer physical copies over digital copies both legal and illegal. I don't know how many people just told me to get a flash cart for DS and then sell all my DS games. I know DS games aren't classic gaming but its the only example I have.
    Ugh, people who are just into newer games piss me off to a degree, theyll throw away stuff (attention wise or other), as soon as it seems old and outdated. They continually chase the newest graphics acting like a game looks so realistic even though it looks worse than Super Mario 3 graphics to me. They dont even see gaming as playing with toys and develop emotional connections to them, so they dont have a right to say someone shouldnt collect real copies of games.

Basically if anyone says to get a flashcart and not bother getting any old or newish game than you shouldnt listen to them at all about gaming. Im so in emulation because I cant afford great old games that cost $75 nowadays each. The artwork and manual are great to keep and you can always open them up and look at them and think of all the memories you have together.

Just like with films there are consumers who are spoon fed by the corporations what they cry for like babies, and then theres us who will be on a forum to talk about how much they love things and keep thinking back to when they were younger and falling in love with the art. This is a really extremist post Im making, but I think Im valid to say it. I dont get the other side of the coin just as much as well. But, any way, just dont let them get to you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All of my friends appreciate my retro game collection as a quirky part of their eccentric friend, so I don't get sermonized.

By the way, never let the fear of reproach keep you from bringing up the fact that you collect old video games to acquaintances, friends of friends, etc. Some people are happy to give you their old games and systems taking up space in their closet or garage. I have a Virtual Boy, Sega Saturn, NES, and boxes of games that attest to this fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    I generally tend to say "yes dear" and I buy the game anyway
    ^

Whenever possible, I guard my mailbox like a ninja to conceal my habit, uhh... hobby's activities. The wife can come in and watch me play a newly acquired game two minutes after I finished opening and discarding the package it came in and be none the wiser that it was a new addition to the collection, which is a definite plus of having so, so many games. She didn't even realize that the Atari 7800 I snagged recently was new to my collection, and the third Genesis I added to the collection in late December might as well have been the eighth one that I added that week. The only games she really ever notices that are new are the one that I buy for the Wii to play with my son, because that is the only system (apart from two Nintendo Entertainment Systems) that I keep outside of the Video Game Room.
    Last edited by treismac; 01-21-2013 at 10:49 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I get on with my life and don't obsess about it over the internet.

As you get older you realize other peoples' opinions matter less and less.

Take this post I'm making right now as a fine example. Enjoy your game.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    I get on with my life and don't obsess about it over the internet.

As you get older you realize other peoples' opinions matter less and less.

Take this post I'm making right now as a fine example. Enjoy your game.
    I just told my wife that her opinions matter less and less as I get older; now my systems are scattered across the lawn.

Seriously though, there's nothing obsessive about taking a few moments to respond to criticism. It's part of being human.

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

I'm fond of saying "There's nothing like the original hardware." Few things compare to hooking up a vintage console to a TV, plugging in the controllers, inserting a game cartridge, flipping the power switch, and watching a 20+ year old game system go to work. Sure, the hardware can be a bit flaky at times, and the controllers might not be as responsive as they once were (if they ever were), but it's all part of the experience. Emulators are convenient, but there are certain times when the real deal is called for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Urzu402 View Post
    Sorry I didn't specify this earlier cause I seen one person who asked but I meant how to explain to people why people who collect prefer physical copies over digital copies both legal and illegal. I don't know how many people just told me to get a flash cart for DS and then sell all my DS games. I know DS games aren't classic gaming but its the only example I have.
    I was looking for Just Dance 4 for the Wii for my daughter and the first response to my Kijiji "wanted" ad was someone offering to mod my Wii so I could get JD4 and any other game free.

Um, no buddy. No.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    All of my friends appreciate my retro game collection as a quirky part of their eccentric friend, so I don't get sermonized.

By the way, never let the fear of reproach keep you from bringing up the fact that you collect old video games to acquaintances, friends of friends, etc. Some people are happy to give you their old games and systems taking up space in their closet or garage. I have a Virtual Boy, Sega Saturn, NES, and boxes of games that attest to this fact.

^

Whenever possible, I guard my mailbox like a ninja to conceal my habit, uhh... hobby's activities. The wife can come in and watch me play a newly acquired game two minutes after I finished opening and discarding the package it came in and be none the wiser that it was a new addition to the collection, which is a definite plus of having so, so many games. She didn't even realize that the Atari 7800 I snagged recently was new to my collection, and the third Genesis I added to the collection in late December might as well have been the eighth one that I added that week. The only games she really ever notices that are new are the one that I buy for the Wii to play with my son, because that is the only system (apart from two Nintendo Entertainment Systems) that I keep outside of the Video Game Room.
    Wow, its like we're living the same life

(only I have a daughter, not a son but everything else is like I wrote it myself)

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm so glad I have a fiance who shares my love for retro games and would never give me grief about my hobby. It'd suck to live a life of tiptoeing around, trying to hide new purchases. Of course, some collectors spend ridiculous amounts of money, which becomes a problem to a spouse even if they share an interest in a hobby, but I'm frugal by nature and don't need any outside forces to tell me to cut down on excessive spending.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh I hate those pricks who blatantly offer piracy on sale on sites like Craigslist. The ones that get me the most angry are the ones involving DS flash cards. I'm sure you guys all know the ads I'm talking about. The ones I hate are ones that totally try and disguise the fact it's illegal, like one that made me really angry was one trying to appeal to parents by saying something like "are you tired of your child loosing your DS games well fear no more! With this you can have all your DS games on one cart so you never have to remove it!" Part of the problem is outside of removing the ads Craigslist does jack to actually stop the problem
    What's up with islands? Get more land.
    What's up with deserts? Get less sand.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I'm a collector, but if the end result is playing the game and not checking off boxes on my personal collection or "grail hunting" I always take price into consideration.

For example, during the height of it's popularity and desirability I'd much rather spend $15-$20 for a DLC port of Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 on XBLA or PSN than the used PS2 version prices which frequently topped $100 (prices have since been depressed).

And, since I'm a longtime collector, I've learned to pick my spots and wait certain things out. Market desirability changes, prices fluctuate, crates of games are "discovered" in warehouses, all sorts of things happen. We've all seen it.

Generally, I'm not judgmental about how collectors spend.

I don't think it's a "waste" of money to buy a physical copy of a game, BUT in some cases it is a "waste of money" to buy a game that's "hot" price-wise in the moment that will very likely be cheaper (even for a physical copy) in the future - even if it means waiting it out until you find a copy of that game in the wild at a good price (goodwill, flea market, garage sale, swap meet, in a lot, etc.)
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Bloodreign75

Tell them to piss off and mind their own business, that simple. It's your money, do with it as you like.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    I was looking for Just Dance 4 for the Wii for my daughter and the first response to my Kijiji "wanted" ad was someone offering to mod my Wii so I could get JD4 and any other game free.

Um, no buddy. No.
    I've received a similar reply when I was selling some legit PC games, someone offered me a trade. I still saved the reply for some reason. Not just offering me crap I could get for free myself, but I would have to mail him my game and mail it first before he would send me anything.

can i interest you in a trade,i would like the game called 13,in exchange i can trade you a rom that has NES and a bunch of NES games and another rom that is a backup of my soldieroffortune2 game including a mod called goldrush,i lost the original cd so you couldnt play the original sof2 missions BUT you can play goldrush offline against bots(similar to games like UT and Q3)its better than the sof2 main game just google sof2 goldrush if you are not familiar with it,let me know if interested you can mail me 13 and i will in return mail you my offer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

Some people get it and some don't. Some people are into emulations and playing games on their phone/tablet, I personally don't care for it. I have a backwards compatible PS3 yet I still hook up my PS2 for playing games. Nothing better to me than experiencing a game the way it was originally meant to be played.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most of the time you just want to tell them "you just don't get it", but what is there not to get?

I feel like it's usually just too much to discuss in depth and fall back on the old "well, you can't sell games you download".

Trying to explain how physical media have memories, stories, & value attached to them is especially difficult to explain to the younger generation. They just seem to have a different set iof values because they never really grew up with the stuff.

What am I going to do, try and explain how emulator are less accurate? How do you do that without showing them the real hardware & an emulator or two in person. The rabbit hole goes even farther when you say you prefer the "look" of playing old games on original hardware on a CRT.

"newer games lag on new TVs & older tvs are designed to make old games look better"

They usually just shrug that sort of thing off, and I tend to do the same because it's not worth the effort.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes I tell the people who question me all the time about buying physical copies that I buy it for a couple reasons one is pure nostalgia, another is I like owning pieces of gaming history, and the last one is the personal history of the item, it's very possible the game you are buying was a big deal in someone's childhood. I also thought of two more examples on how this effected me. One is I was in the mall with a friend and we were in a Game shop that carried classic games, and I was interested in a boxed copy of Zelda A Link to the Past. I ended up buying it, for 40 bucks by the way, but all the time my friend was getting angry at me for wasting money on it. The second is I bought 2 guides, one is called secret Nintendo passwords or something and the players choice guide to the SNES. Now I only paid 5 dollars each for the guides but people harass me saying oh they're pointless! You can find all the information online you wasted money etc...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never actually heard that comment, to be honest. Fortunately.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I've had the same discussion with someone regarding books. I collect classic mystery novels and have a friend who enjoys reading them but he doesn't get why I would want a bunch of books when he just downloads them for free and reads them on his phone. To me there's just something much more real about having something that you can physically hold and own.

And that's a big point as far as games. Even if you pay for a downloaded game off Steam or something, you don't actually own anything...except a license granting you the right to play someone elses game.
    Last edited by jb143; 01-22-2013 at 12:56 PM.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dr. BaconStein's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The closest thing I've gotten to this is people who hate clones and game tablets because it's not the original hardware or "Softmodded Wii/PSP > All". I've found the best solution is probably just to tell them there's more than one way to play video games or something along those lines. Depending on exactly how they state their claim, I might spell out the positives of owning a physical copy/different hardware vs. owning it digitally or on the original hardware.

If in the rare case that they are actually a collector, I would remind them that it's no different than owning something like a game.com or Virtual Boy just for collection's sake. If it's a case where they are being excessively arrogant about it and not listening to anything you say, you have to remind yourself that these people are the vocal minority and their pride is clouding their thought process.

Even if you proved with factual evidence that it was legitimately not a waste of money, they are just going to deflect everything you say, usually with some kind of emotional response. This is usually the case with the "my opinion is fact" people. Honestly, at this point I think it is kind of silly that people still act this way about old games.

We've already deduced that there are both positives and negatives to playing/emulating games in ANY form of media. Unless there is something that renders the games unplayable, it seems kind of pointless to police the way other people play their games.

You can also use the analogy of MP3's vs. CD's/Vinyls or Hulu/Netflix vs. DVD/VHS, or just explain that physical media carries more sentimental value.
    Last edited by Dr. BaconStein; 01-22-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I usually say ok you may have all those games on your laptop or soft modded console, but what happens when it gets stolen? All those games gone in one fell swoop.

It's hard for a would be thief to steal my whole collection.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BricatSegaFan View Post
    I usually say ok you may have all those games on your laptop or soft modded console, but what happens when it gets stolen? All those games gone in one fell swoop.

It's hard for a would be thief to steal my whole collection.
    I gotta laugh when I imagine a burglar stealing my game stuff. I mean, it'd be terrible regardless, but they definitely couldn't take everything and I'm sure they'd take all the "wrong" stuff, haha. I bet they'd grab the most modern stuff I have, while the valuable retro games I have probably wouldn't even get touched.