Thread: DIY Neo Geo Pocket Color cases (using Nintendo DS case) - Warning: pic heavy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default DIY Neo Geo Pocket Color cases (using Nintendo DS case) - Warning: pic heavy

I don't have any cases for my NGPC games. I got them all loose, a few have manuals and all have the little plastic shells, but no proper outer cases.

There are really three options to store the games:

Option 1 - buy all new NGPC games that include the plastic clamshell cases.
    • Positive: authentic
    • Negative: very expensive, inefficient as I already have the games themselves

Option 2 - buy proper NGPC replacement cases.
    • Positive: authentic
    • Negative: kind of expensive. Only source seems to be eBay (Over $4 per case after shipping). Despite high cost I'd still need to print my own artwork.

Option 3 - Buy and modify Nintendo DS cases.
    • Positive: Cheap, most cover artwork found online is already formatted for DS cases
    • Negative: More work. Not authentic. Will likely annoy collectors.

Since I'm more of a game player than collector, I chose #3.

The Cover Project approach

I checked online and the folks at the Cover Project have a great thread on how to use Nintendo DS cases to store games for other systems. Their best solution for the NGPC involves significant cutting of the DS case and does not hold the game in place very well. If you open the system the game will just fall out. It's also kind of ugly.

Here is their solution:

My approach

I ordered some Nintendo DS cases from Nintendo. They are $7.00 for 10 cases with a minor shipping cost (link).

I printed off a label from the cover project, my wife cut it perfectly using her craft tools and mad skills. I think the outside turned out well:

The cutting involved to accomodate the NGPC game cart is minimal. Basically just cut out the bottom of the GBA cart slot. Don't cut the whole width, just wide enough for a NGPC cart.

The great part is that the cart actually stays in place. How? My wife has small craft glue dots. They're made to be adhesive, but not super sticky and not to make a mess on things. Here you can see the glue dot on the case.

You can also see the back of the cartridge - there is no trace of the adhesive at all.

What about the manual? Well the DS case is the perfect height to hold that too. Here's a pic:

It may not be authentic or original, but these are gonna look awesome on my gaming shelf
    Last edited by c0ldb33r; 01-19-2013 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Spelling!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is how've I've been doing it except I use a little heat to bend the GBA cart tabs in a bit so they actually hold the NGP cart on their own. There are pics somewhere on TCP. I'll post them here when I'm back at my PC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    There are pics somewhere on TCP. I'll post them here when I'm back at my PC.
    Great - I'd like that. Thanks.