If you're a football fan devoted to one team like I am, you know that bye weeks suck. It's the one week every season in which I don't get to see my beloved Packers play. With championship weekend upon us in the NFL, that dreaded "no more football" feeling is now wreaking havoc on my brain, filling me with the terror of losing my favorite sport for the next few months. I know other fans feel the same.

To fill that void, I play in a full 32-player online league in Madden NFL 13. Easily the dorkiest thing I do, it draws many similarities to one of my favorite gaming genres, RPGs. Sure, this sort of thing has been talked about plenty of times before, even in using Madden as a recent example, but this week's Penny Arcade comic hits home at the cross-section of sports fans and gamers. The center space of that Venn diagram is bigger than some would care to think.

To be clear, I'm mulling over this topic primarily because I'm in my bye week in said Madden league. Oh, the horrors. If you're as sad about the impending loss of football as I am, I encourage you to check out last week's webcomics, then vote for your favorite after the break!

He Hungers (ReadySoup)
FTL (Dave the Direman)
A Lifetime of Achievements (Dorkly)
Trunk Space (Awkward Zombie)
Generation Gap (Virtual Shackles)
Charades (Extra Life)
Sportz (Penny Arcade)Continue reading Weekly Webcomic Wrapup is on a bye
Weekly Webcomic Wrapup is on a bye originally appeared on Joystiq on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 23:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments