Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Classic Nintendo Cartoons

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He man was fantastic!!! I grew up on heman and fraggle rock.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

He-Man really is fantastic. Still the best north american cartoon ever made IMO.

You know what gets me? The episode "Teela's Quest" begins by giving us Queen Marlena's history--it then goes on to be about Teela wondering who her mother is and going to see an oracle. It also introduces that Mer-Man has a grudge against Man-at-Arms, that the Sorceress is Teela's mother, that there's such a thing as Shadowbeasts and a "Crystal Sea" and a sea demon named Bakkul and just SO MUCH STUFF, and it all flows naturally from one to another and never feels contrived or rushed.

All in 21.30 minutes.

And yet, whenever you look at an episode in our very own Pony thread--or any topic for any cartoon really--you see a lot of people saying there was just "too much story to fit in one episode." Yeah, bullshit. So a cartoon from 1983 can do it but a modern glitzy cartoon made with computers can't? This isn't even a recent problem either--I had the same issue with the original Thundercats and Batman the Animated Series. I mean those are both good shows, but seriously, in a lot of episodes it felt like nothing happened.

(To be fair to Pony, it is aimed at younger audiences and is trying to be more visually appealing rather than have depth of writing, so I can cut it some slack for being a little shallow. As long as Rainbow Dash is still best pony)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

btw, the Super Mario Bros Super Show is available on Netflix instant, with the live action sequences intact... along with the live action intros for the legend of zelda previews, and the previews of zelda themselves.... but no sign of the zelda episodes.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It would be nice one day to get that Super Mario Brothers anime on a brand new VHS and transfer it to high quality digital video with a high quality codec using my professional VCR setup. Then maybe find some fansubs for it so I can apply the .ass subtitle files to it, that or just learn Japanese.

Ask for classic video game cartoons, I did grow up with the Super Mario Brothers Super Show in 1999 & 2000 when they reaired it on my then local WB station at 6:30 AM before Kids WB went on at 7AM. I actually had a VCR that recorded most of the episodes since 6:30 AM was hard to wake up to on Saturday morning. I still have those tapes even thou the complete series is out on DVD boxsets. I keep the tapes for the nostalgia factor, not to mention they were my first of many VHS recordings and they have some amazing late 1990's early 2000's commercials that just bring you back in time.

Ask for the Sonic cartoons, my first was The Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog around 1997 then Sonic Underground in 1999 and around 2003 Sonic SATAM, which all of them I love for different reasons, especially Sonic SATAM since it has a great dark story for a kids cartoon, and yes, I did have a crush on Princess Sally as a young teen. xD

Sonic X, couldn't stand, not only because of the 4Kids dub, but just I don't like the new generation Sonic where he's in a city interacting with humans rather than being on Mobius interacting with animals like in the three now Cookie Jar cartoons.

And since it is video game related, I loved the Where On Earth Is Carmen Sandiego cartoon as a kid, taught me a lot about history and yes I did love the opening theme song that of course Carmen stole that too, sneeky Carmen Sandiego. I was glad they released the complete series for $5 last year, it was a great addition to my DVD library.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone remember the Power Team from the early ninties? The team consisted Max Force from NARC, Kuros from The Wizards and Warriors series, Kwirk from the game of the same name, Tyrone from Arch Rivals and BigFoot the monster truck?

I remember watching that show every weekday before I got up to go to school.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I at one point watched the Mega Man series. I kinda liked it. But the maker of the cartoon didnt get the memo that Roll and Mega Man are supposed to be kids not young adult/ teenagers, and the Proto Man is a good guy. Though in the shows defence at the time the only game with Proto Man was Mega Man 3 and in that game it's not really clear if he's friend or foe. There is no real defense for the first part I raises. Like I remember the episode when Vile comes from the future with Spark Mandrill and X goes back in time too to stop them. But the problem is I already think the original Mega Man is too muscular but X's appearnance was overkill
    What's up with islands? Get more land.
    What's up with deserts? Get less sand.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

This is a really good video quality of the SMB Anime. It's Japanese with English subtitles

This is a low quality video with a fan dubbed version in English. Unfortunately the fans are terrible voice actors.

Last edited by Greg2600; 01-21-2013 at 05:44 PM.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Urzu402 View Post
    I at one point watched the Mega Man series. I kinda liked it. But the maker of the cartoon didnt get the memo that Roll and Mega Man are supposed to be kids not young adult/ teenagers, and the Proto Man is a good guy. Though in the shows defence at the time the only game with Proto Man was Mega Man 3 and in that game it's not really clear if he's friend or foe. There is no real defense for the first part I raises. Like I remember the episode when Vile comes from the future with Spark Mandrill and X goes back in time too to stop them. But the problem is I already think the original Mega Man is too muscular but X's appearnance was overkill
    Actually, Mega Man 5 was out.

I read an interview somewhere where Joe Ruby said that the muscular designs and the Protoman being evil were forced on them by Capcom, for some reason or other. I think if you search through the Mega Man Homepage there's a link to that interview somewhere.

Despite the changes, it was one of the few cartoons that managed to stay close to the games, unlike most other game-based cartoons which made redonkulous amounts of changes (the various Sonic cartoons having probably nothing to do with the games...)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    This is a low quality video with a fan dubbed version in English. Unfortunately the fans are terrible voice actors.
    It also has terrible audio mastering. Ugh, Peach always cracks the speakers. The sad part is that if they dialed her volume down she'd probably be one of the better voices there.

The voices for Mario and Luigi don't capture the feel of either Lou Albano or Charles Martinet. I could at least do the latter way better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

For me I just remember being of the right age so I could see the Super Mario Bros Super Show, then Super Mario Bros 3 followed by World on he Saturday morning runs, and SMBSS did Zelda Fridays which was awesome. I also really loved the interesting take on the games that Captain N did too for the years it ran. It was pretty free with the ideas and took liberties but fun ones and it really was entertaining stuff. It's nice they're on disc but I wish like Boomerang would run the stuff too, same for Pac-Man which was pure awesome but all they're willing on that end to do is the PacMan Christmas special.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, Boomerang did run Pac-Man awhile back for a couple of months. I don't think it was to promote anything, either. Every few months they drop one or two shows from the line up and put something else in, so if you think "I wish Boomerang would run X", be patient. They probably will eventually.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well if that was in the last few years damn I missed it, but I really don't remember it. I still don't think Nintendo would let their iron grip off their Mario cartoons to allow them on there, it's just wishful thinking.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by retroguy View Post
    Actually, Boomerang did run Pac-Man awhile back for a couple of months. I don't think it was to promote anything, either. Every few months they drop one or two shows from the line up and put something else in, so if you think "I wish Boomerang would run X", be patient. They probably will eventually.
    Pac-Man was Hanna Barbara, which Boomerang (Turner) own.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    It also has terrible audio mastering. Ugh, Peach always cracks the speakers. The sad part is that if they dialed her volume down she'd probably be one of the better voices there.

The voices for Mario and Luigi don't capture the feel of either Lou Albano or Charles Martinet. I could at least do the latter way better.
    I know, it's terrible. The first video though I was stunned how good of a transfer they got.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK