Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Video Game History What If's?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Collector_Gaming View Post
    Wonder what they are gonna do when the guy finally sleeps in his final resting place (hopefully not for awhile but ya know thats how life works). Because makes it sound like he's everything they got.
    It often seems that way...

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    Stores werent going to carry another video game console, ROB made the thing more into a toy so without him the stores wouldnt have sold the console.

Id like to know what games Nintendo had the kids play in their study group? Has anyone tracked them down in the years since and interviewed them on why they didnt like the NES?
    I thought it was retailers that were put off of games, not the families/kids and that's why it needed to be a toy.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I saw on G4 that Nintendo did a study group before they released the NES in New York to see if American kids would like it, and these kids they got all hated the games and didnt understand how to play.

Stores didnt want a video game console, which is why they made ROB to make it seem like it was a toy. They basically tricked them more or less they way they presented the NES early on.
    Last edited by IHatedSega; 01-25-2013 at 12:59 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm, I'd like to see that info too (or hear it from the mouths of those now adults that did play testing). Hard to imagine these days, but it was a totally different time back then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What if America was as laxed as other countries to the point where AO games were allowed to be sold in retail stores?

What if all the school shootings never happened(this is in relation to how it's affected the industry)?

What if the Video Game industry had lost the Supreme court hearing in 2011?
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    Atari would've deemed "Super Mario Bros." too Japanese-sounding and renamed it something like "Plumbers Quest" or "Mushroom Fighters". Nobody would've bought it and the U.S. Super Mario franchise would've been killed in 1985.
    I doubt that as Atari already had the Mario Bros fanchise in 1982

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

What if Nintendo would have released the AVS (the original NES) in January 1984 (first CES showing).

What if Atari would have distributed the Sega Genesis, as Sega wanted to originally.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    What if America was as laxed as other countries to the point where AO games were allowed to be sold in retail stores?

What if all the school shootings never happened(this is in relation to how it's affected the industry)?

What if the Video Game industry had lost the Supreme court hearing in 2011?
    I am gonna modify your question. What if the video game industry lost its first battle when mortal kombat came out?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

But i guess the answer to my rob question was what i thought. If he never existed american gaming industry would not have evolved as much as it did.

Here is another What If.. What if enough time was given to developers to complete E.T and polish pacman. Would the gaming market crash have ever happened? Would atari still be making consoles?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    People seem to be getting tired of the big brother methods that are or will be employed by "the big 3"
    The fact that 250 million people around the world own a Wii, Xbox 360, and/or PS3 indicate otherwise. (And the fact that 2.5 million people already own a Wii U in its first two months on the market.)

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    I doubt that as Atari already had the Mario Bros fanchise in 1982
    Yes, but Super Mario Bros. wasn't an arcade port like Mario Bros. was. And I was being silly.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Collector_Gaming View Post
    What if enough time was given to developers to complete E.T and polish pacman. Would the gaming market crash have ever happened? Would atari still be making consoles?
    Probably the only thing that would happen is that Atari would have had more money from more units sold and Ray Casar would have been in charge longer. They wouldnt have been sold or had computer systems. The arcade crash was gonna happen no matter what, these games didnt affect it. Other really crappy games though would still have piled up everywhere and businesses would have still gone out, but Atari's name wouldnt have been as damaged. Probably their fall would have started in the 5200 era, and the 7200 would have been sold in more places but people would passed it up to get an NES. There probably would have been more 7800 versions of games though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The fact that 250 million people around the world own a Wii, Xbox 360, and/or PS3 indicate otherwise. (And the fact that 2.5 million people already own a Wii U in its first two months on the market.)

Yes, but Super Mario Bros. wasn't an arcade port like Mario Bros. was. And I was being silly.
    I guess you're right, and current generation sales figures must be the ONLY indicator of future market viabilty and trends. I haven't heard a single person complain about the inherent problems with DLC, the online games that require servers which could be shut down at a moment's notice with no hope of establishing a user-created server in their stead, or the possibility of physical copies of software that are married to their consoles in the coming generations, quite possibly killing the used market and possibly the entire market.

Are you bickering with be for bickering's sake, or are you just seriously not willing to think ever-so-slightly outside the box and consider a fickle market who's tastes/wants/needs are ever changing? Who would have guessed 10 years ago that casual gaming would be so huge? Who would have thought 15 years ago that western game market would grow to its current state? Maybe open source gaming is the next bit thing. Is that such an absurd thing to imagine?

I'm starting to think your day job is super conservative business analyst. You're seem quite well informed and intelligent, but not at all willing to consider that there may truth beyond a sales figure or current financial status of a given corporation. Companies don't make a turnaround by doing what hasn't worked (I.e. Sega making mediocre games ad nauseum), but rather by taking a risk on a new idea.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Burton_BYOAC View Post
    Imagine...Zelda CD.

It would have been a top-down adventure like AlttP but with an anime FMV intro, cutscenes, and CD quality soundtrack. It would take advantage of the expanded disc space, and 3d effects of the 32-bit Play Station hardware.
    Not exactly what you mean, but...

Something like that? :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess you're right, and current generation sales figures must be the ONLY indicator of future market viabilty and trends. I haven't heard a single person complain about the inherent problems with DLC, the online games that require servers which could be shut down at a moment's notice with no hope of establishing a user-created server in their stead, or the possibility of physical copies of software that are married to their consoles in the coming generations, quite possibly killing the used market and possibly the entire market.

...Who would have guessed 10 years ago that casual gaming would be so huge?
    You contradict yourself. If "casual" gaming is so huge right now, why would companies continue catering to the "hardcore"?

"Casual" gamers don't care about DLC, user-created servers, physical copies, etc. They play Carnival Games on the Wii and download digital games on their iOS devices.

And before you lament the death of "hardcore" gaming, think about this: "casual" gamers pay $50 for the latest copy of Madden NFL, day one, whereas "hardcore" gamers are cheap bastards who wait six months for Halo 4 to hit the $10 bargain bin before they buy it. So, why would companies continue to cater to the "hardcore" users, when they're the ones who demand physical copies and servers to be online forever, but rarely want to pay full price for things? Maybe companies are finally wising up to cheap geeks with entitlement issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Again, you're stuck in a very, VERY singularly-mided line if logic.

There's no contradiction. The so-called "hardcore" AND casual markets exist side-by-side. I didn't point out the viability to casual gaming in order to say it has taken over the market and left no room for the serious gamer. Nor did I say that Eastern games are now completely irrelevant. Quite the opposite actually. Casual gaming has just grown the market.

That's like insisting that there's no market for pickup trucks because minivans are selling well. There's quite obviously a market for both.

Halo. I would just as easily lump Halo in with Madden based on its "for the masses" appeal. That, and to use your own logic, its sale figures don't lead me to believe that the majority of serious/hardcore gamers are waiting for it to hit a bargain bin. You're just pulling that one out of your butt, to be honest.
    Last edited by wiggyx; 01-25-2013 at 09:59 AM.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

The Ouya is going to be a flop. As John Romero said it doesn't do enough to prevent piracy. Sega would be fools to follow that. Publishers like the current model because its all big corps too. Small developers still need tons of money to make anything bigger than a minigame and ouya does not offer the financial model to recoop investment.

I'm an adult and I can't understand how to use R.O.B. kids hated that thing.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It doesn't do ANYTHING to prevent piracy, and that's sort of the point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

People seem to be getting tired of the big brother methods that are or will be employed by "the big 3"
    That was your original claim. My response was that hundreds of millions of people disagree with you. The amount of people "getting tired" are severely outnumbered, which is why game companies cater to them less and less as time goes on.

I'm not necessarily saying I want the industry to move in that direction, but companies go where the money is and recent history has shown that the "hardcore" market is full of cheap people and pirates.

I don't see too many Angry Birds/Cut the Rope/Doodle Jump/Plants vs. Zombies/Carnival Games/Just Dance 2 fans torrenting ROMs and then modding their consoles to play them. The "casual" market is where the money is.

Great business model.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    I'm an adult and I can't understand how to use R.O.B. kids hated that thing.
    R.O.B. wasn't aimed at children. It was Nintendo's Trojan horse to get the NES on store shelves. Retailers didn't want to carry any more video games at that time. "Ah, but this isn't a video game, it's an entertainment system. See, it even comes with an interactive robot!" Nintendo knew R.O.B. was pointless and therefore only developed two games for it.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 01-25-2013 at 10:23 AM.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

That makes money how?
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That was your original claim. My response was that hundreds of millions of people disagree with you. The amount of people "getting tired" are severely outnumbered, which is why game companies cater to them less and less as time goes on.

Great business model.
    And my response was that you can't always count on past business models to predict how the market will shift in the future. Game companies will cater to themselves as they get bigger and bigger, not ANY user-base, regardless of casual or serious.

As if that notion is the all-encompassing model. Man, you really walk around with horse blinders on...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    That makes money how?
    In any number of ways.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And my response was that you can't always count on past business models to predict how the market will shift in the future.
    But the video game industry is way bigger now than it has ever been in the past and we're seeing a trend. The industry has shifted to please the "casual" Wii Sports/Carnival Games/Angry Birds market and is less concerned with the "hardcore" we-want-your-servers-to-stay-online-forever market. I'm not saying companies are now totally ignoring the "hardcore" market, but it's definitely less important these days.

You seem to think "hardcore" gamers are still the main spenders, but they aren't. Look at how many "hardcore" gamers on this forum complained about the Wii being "casual" for the last 6+ years and swore it'd be a flop...yet the Wii went on to be the biggest money maker this generation *and* spawned copycat controllers from Microsoft and Sony. Like it or not, the "hardcore" market is dwindling, thanks in part to how cheap "hardcore" gamers are. Companies go where the money is.

Man, you really walk around with horse blinders on...
    If you think "hardcore" gamers will all of a sudden rise up and shift the mainstream market back in their favor, you're the one with blinders on. If "hardcore" gamers were the industry's driving force, Super Mario would sell 50,000 copies and Ninja Gaiden would sell 20 million. Instead, Kinect Adventures is the Xbox 360's best selling title.

That doesn't mean a Kickstarted-funded, "hardcore" oriented console can't become a mild niche success.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 01-25-2013 at 10:52 AM.