Thread: Hyperdimension Neptunia, Strange game but whered it go?

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Default Hyperdimension Neptunia, Strange game but whered it go?

i was hoping to get in on it for about $20 a pop but it seems to me they went from release price to nonexistant stock in a matter of a year. I can get Mk2 for $40 at a game stop new still. probably the last copy in town thats new. the first one is nonexistant in new stock.

seems to me they were run in low numbers but i guess they did well enough to release the third one?

this game is just strange all arround it seems...

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/Hyperdimension...space+neptunia

This is a game Id love to get, as soon as I get my own PS3 Im getting it.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I got it through a friend when it was new for around $30. If you're looking for an amazing RPG with a great story and some well rounded gameplay, I've got bad news for you. The game is slow, in every aspect of the word. It moves slow, the characters talk slow, battles go by slowly and it has relativity long load times for pretty much everything. It's just such a big pain in the ass to play that I've yet to finish it, I've been picking away at it every other month since I got it.

If you do get it and you intend to beat it, either get resign yourself to spending many hours grinding out level before you can get anything done OR just spend $10 on some DLC (two of the stat boost packs and the additional character 5bp should be enough). I've read that the second game is apparently strikingly better, but I've never seen more than a few trailers for it.

Another reason the game is hard to find, is because a number of stores stopped stocking it. This was due to a stigma around the game (and, by proxy, anyone who was interested in the game) that can be summed up in one word: loli.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Roughly stated, the first game sucks. The character interactions that make it worthwhile, the gameplay is a bit lame as mentioned by JSoupy. The other games are better though.

A useful thread if you are interested in the series though is this one from the NIS forums: http://nisamerica.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=11522

Here's a rough breakdown that most agree with though (taken directly from that thread)

Original game - bad gameplay, funny story but damaged by its own structure, lack of coherent plot.

Mk2 - definitely better gameplay, improved graphics but inconsistent framerate, coherent and focused plot, a bit more serious (caused quite a bit of people to dislike it), extra non-canon ending that has a shock value.

V - Improved graphics but recycle of dungeons, improved systems with some underused ideas, crazy story that is more focused than the original game. In the official topic buried somewhere (no time to look now) there's a lengthy post done by myself that discusses the game in detail.
    If you're interested in an Limited Edition, well it's too late now unless you want to shell out big bucks. However, the regular editions show up at semi-resonable prices like others have mentioned.

I'd skip the original and go straight to Mk 2 though if you want to jump into it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

i found a premium edition of the first as a warehouse deal, dont know if its previously been opened or not but its $67...

My issue lies with the seccond one, a new copy is insane considering its less than a year old. i dont get it

edit:

one just popped on ebay New for $57 with free shipping from florida so it was about as much as it was before every one went crazy with it....after looking at that thread about slabbing games maybe i should keep it sealed, send it in to be slabbed and then find another used copy.....cause you know slabbing it doubles the price
    Last edited by Niku-Sama; 01-26-2013 at 06:34 PM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

If you're on the fence about getting Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2, I just recently started playing it. Here's my initial opinions.

Aside from the character models the game is running PS2 graphics and the very worst part of the game you'll notice within one minute of playtime. The game seems to run at a locked 15-20fps when you're watching a 3D cutscene, whether you're in combat, or whether you're in a field. If you're watching 2D animations, those seem to run fine.

If you ever play this game, make sure to change the camera movement speed to 100. If you leave it at 50 where it runs slower, it's literally unplayable. At 100 it's fast and when you turn the camera you won't get bothered by the 15fps judder because it's turning the camera too fast for it to really bother you. Doing this you won't notice the bad framerate in the field or in battle.

All dungeon fields seem to be a repetitive background landscape, a few enemies, and search points that all respawn whenever you exit and come back. The best thing about all of these fields though, as well as the menu, etc, is that entering any area is extremely fast. Maybe one second of load time at most, and clicking around through the menu is extremely quick.

The battle system seems good, but I'm only two hours in and there have been no enemies that I've really had to stray from the same tactic I've been using the entire time, so it could end up getting better, or it could end up remaining repetitive. So there are a decent amount of options, but whether they'll come to any sort of fruition I don't know.

Then finally there's the story. The story isn't good, but it's still enjoyable. It's really not good because when the storyline comes up, it' just repeats the same stuff you've already seen or heard a few times already just to a different character. The characters themselves are pretty likeable though.

So far it's just decent. If I knew it had the flaws I mentioned I never would have wasted my money.

one just popped on ebay New for $57 with free shipping from florida so it was about as much as it was before every one went crazy with it....
    You can still get it at the NISA Store for $49.99 with free shipping. I bought it when it was on sale for $20 a couple months ago.

http://store.nisamerica.com/Games/Ne...2-PS3-Standard
    Last edited by kupomogli; 01-30-2013 at 03:13 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Well the first game costs less in Europe new, if that doesn't bother you.
    Of course there's the matter of potential wait/risk and dealing with a UK account for DLC...
    http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms.../10287033.html
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

the first one doesent concern me as much, that seccond one though has some pretty crazy prices but i managed to get one a little less than it was when it first came out, now on to get the first one. its $35 new on amazon