Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "The one that got away"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Three stand out in my mind and haunt me on a pretty regular basis:

When I worked at Wal-Mart from '96 - '97 and we had stacks of brand new Earthbounds and Virtual Boys on clearance for 20 bucks each.

I found a crapload of sealed NES games at a different Wal-Mart in Arkansas in the summer of '03. I bought most of them but left behind Color A Dinosaur.

A good buddy and I were big into flea markets and yard sales around this time. In the summer of '04 we went to a flea market in a building that used to be a car dealership. One booth had some NES games and I almost bought one loose cart I had never heard of or seen before just because I was looking for something new to play at the moment. I ended up putting it back in the box I had picked it from and leaving. It was Panic Restaurant
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

My feedback thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93213

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    I think he was talking more about something like my situation where grandma buys a $200 game for $2 at a yard sale and gives it to the grand kids to use as a coloring book or a jumping pad. I just remember the pile of busted up VHS tapes that my step-brothers went through. I think I too would also prefer to see a reseller get a lot of cash and someone get a game they wanted over that scenario.
    Other buyers that don't know what they are doing. I was thinking more along the lines of somebody that would clean out all of the video games in a heavy handed manner even if they paid too much and don't really know much value wise except for Mario games are popular - for example if they are only interested in buying video games they would end up paying $100 (and not deciding to pass) only to come out making 10 or 20 dollars at best not even factoring in time gas or any other misc little things, costs and even worse if they keep buying video games like the kind of people that will buy a hot new system for a few hundred if they can make a measly $20 selling it. I've even seen the other main video game guy at the local flea market buy stuff and loose money selling it on eBay or come ahead say 10 or less on a system and some games.

Another guy (I don't like this guy, he's a dick - tried to make an offer on something I was holding before at a yard sale) got to a yard sale at the same time as me last year right when it started that advertised PS2 stuff. I didn't get to look at it as he was a step ahead of me, saw it and went right to it. Me being around must have mind fucked him into figuring he better buy it, the lady came up to him while he was sifting sifting through the PS2 box and said they were asking $100 but would take $75 and he paid her.....I really wasn't THAT interested only wanted any interesting games by the long shot I saw anything of interest to me.

As you were thinking with Snow Bros sounds rather painful also and I can relate as that is one of my few most wanted but way too expensive NES games I'd like to luck into finding cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by 8-bitNesMan View Post
    I found a crapload of sealed NES games at a different Wal-Mart in Arkansas in the summer of '03. I bought most of them but left behind Color A Dinosaur.(
    You got my local walmart beat easily, I remember seeing a pretty nice sized end cap of old games that came out of no where but it was 16-bit stuff and this was about '98 I want to say. Mostly $5 stuff but not that great of a selection, best being Mega Man X (unfornately I decided to pass since I had it) some alright but fairly meh stuff with IIRC the best I got being one of the Star Wars games or Aladdin for the SNES. I also remember them have Donkey Kong Country but it was $20. I also remember getting my Virtual Boy and most of my games at Walmart right after it bombed (30 for the system and 10 a pop for each game).
    Last edited by FOnewearl; 02-01-2013 at 04:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At the height of my retro game buying I had to pass on a craigslist seller who had a model one Sega CD with about 20 games including Snatcher. He wanted 150 and wouldn't budge and I just didn't have the money at the time. Remember it being sold fairly quickly after our conversation.

Insert Coin (Level 0) LordsOfSkulls's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    LordsOfSkulls
    PSN
    LordsOfSkulls

For me the reason thing that got away that i am kicking myself for last 4 months.....

Monster Rancher 4.... Complete for $20 in Gamestop.....

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Man... I know I said before that I don't really sweat getting beaten to a deal, but I just came THIS close to getting a complete, nice condition copy of Suikoden 2 for 25 bucks plus shipping on eBay. I was looking up new listings of a different game, but if something looks good enough to put on my watch list, I check out the other auctions put up by the same seller to see if there's anything else of interest. I noticed that this seller just listed a bunch of PS1 RPGs with $25 BINs on all of them. For most, that's either too much or right about market value, but I clicked on completed auctions to see if there was anything I just barely missed and there it was. Somebody sure got one awesome deal.

That said, I don't have much right to complain since I already have a copy of Suikoden 2. :P If I had gotten it, I would have possibly replaced my current copy, since it's not in the greatest shape, and then just flip one of 'em. So I hope the guy who got it doesn't have the game and isn't just looking to resell, in which case he deserves it more than me, haha.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Years ago i went to a local flea market looking for nintendo stuff, and I had showed up at 5:00 in the morning, a hour before the place officially opened up. I snuck in with the dealers. Right after I arrived the first thing I noticed was a guy with a boxed miracle paino system for nes. I asked him how much, and he said it just sold for 20$ and the buyer diddnt wanna carry it around just yet. I was so pissed.

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

mega bump here, but woooow.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trip-World-/...item27d03554a3

This is one of, if not THE rarest game on the GameBoy, and one of sunsoft's final breaths of excellence. The last listing went for $285. I casually look through listings to see if I can find a copy decently priced on a fluke. Man, do I feel dumb for missing this. I could have asked one of my canadian friends to pick it up and ship it over ;_;
    Last edited by recorderdude; 04-03-2013 at 12:27 AM.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by recorderdude View Post
    mega bump here, but woooow.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trip-World-/...item27d03554a3

This is one of, if not THE rarest game on the GameBoy, and one of sunsoft's final breaths of excellence. The last listing went for $285. I casually look through listings to see if I can find a copy decently priced on a fluke. Man, do I feel dumb for missing this. I could have asked one of my canadian friends to pick it up and ship it over ;_;
    I checked out the link and it really made me laugh. So, he will list a GB game for 1.50$, LOCAL PICKUP ONLY????

"I won't offer shipping on this since the selling price is so cheap I would pay more in ebay fees than it's actually worth. Thank you for your understanding."

No, I dont understand. You are already paying ebay fees, asking someone for another 2$ to ship a GB cart wont break the bank. If the game was worth a measly 1.50$, who the hell would drive anywhere for such a purchase?

I also love the title: Trip World, Old Gameboy Game.

whaler on the moon Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A couple years ago I passed on an eBay listing for a SNES mini with about ten games. Included in those games was Super Mario All-Stars + World (same cart) and Mega Man X2 and X3. There were a couple other solid titles included, but nothing too "rare" or "pricey". The asking price plus shipping was less than $100. By the time I changed my mind the seller had removed the listing. This is also after it had ended AND been relisted at least once. Oh well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Probably 11 -12 years ago at the flea I found a boxed NES Bubble Bath Babes for $50. I had no idea what it was so I didn't get it. Even back then they were about $400 online.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was about an hour or so late to a flea market that someone found a pretty sweet lot of PS1 RPG's including:

Alundra 2
    Suikoden 1 & 2
    Persona
    Legend of the Dragoon
    Breath of Fire IV
    Grandia

and others like:

Mega Man Legends
    Misadventures of Tronne Bonne
    Parasite Eve 2
    Bomberman
    Resident Evil 2....

He got all of that for an amazing $40. I was SO pissed after that....
    My YouTube channel:
    www.youtube.com/user/bigevil20

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

about 6 years ago I was at a Salvation Army store in Council Bluffs, IA looking for games. They had three NES games all $2.99 ea. I don't remember the other two titles, sports I think, but I do remember holding a copy of Stadium Events. I thought crappy sports games and set them down. Found out about 4 months later what a mistake I made.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Nice to meet another person who passed up a cheap Stadium Events.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    How much was the one you passed on?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hurts right?

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My parents forced me to pass up several $10 bag-o-neses at goodwills when I was a kid. One of them had a system, controllers, a zapper and more than fifty games in it! Another was complete in the original action set box.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The other day I missed out on an NES, 5 controllers, all of the cables, a zapper gun, and 10 games (including all the super marios and the two Zeldas) for $20. I was so angry...

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZP3 View Post
    How much was the one you passed on?
    $8.99 at GameStop circa 2002.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$8.99 at GameStop circa 2002.
    Ouch.

My condolences.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got the magic games included:
    Fatal Fox
    Moom Mario
    Road Fighter
    Bomberman
    Ninja turtles
    Enter the new dragon
    and many more exciting games ust for $80. I was ready to count few more bucks if I would have missed the deal as these is my favorite Craigslist.
    hotshot loads for trucking jobs