Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paradius Da

Insert Coin (Level 0) brainerdrainer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Paradius Da

How did I not know about this until a year ago. And now I own it and it's so so much fun! I wish it was made available in USA but the Famicom cart works great. I really want to play an arcade version. Looks so damn awesome!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Parodius? Yeah, theres a ton of games in the series all through the 90's on different systems. Its a really cool series of shoot em ups. I prefer to hear the Japanese announcer, makes it funny. :)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The SNES(S. Famicom) version is another one to look at. It plays great in a US system and was fairly cheap a few years back.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Sexy parodius is my favorite. The penguin wearing a toilet as a hat which he flushes to attack is priceless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Parodius rocks. As hyper Japanese/bizarre as it is, I still believe it was a poor move not to bring it on over to North America. Beyond the marketability of Japanese culture in the American market, I think that there was possibly more than a little bit of the whole "us Japanese and our ways are incomprehensible to outsiders" mindset going on in that decision, while in the back of their minds they secretly feared that if outsiders could appreciate something so distinctly Japanese it would diminish something of the uniqueness of the Japanese spirit.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I friggin' hate the parodius games!!!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    Heaven help us if Parodius ever does a crossover with Mega Man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

An ironic (or trollish) statement coming from someone with the game's name as his username.

I've played the arcade version in MAME, and the giant showgirl is always my favorite part.
    Don't go away mad....just go away!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Bloodreign75

I own em all on the Saturn from the MSX original to Sexy, SFC Gokujyou Prodius, 3 of 5 on PS1 (minus the MSX original as I can't be bothered to buy a certain version of Konami MSX Antiques when the Saturn versions one big volume of 30 games, as well as no Sexy for it ), and looking this tax season to buy Parodius Da for SFC (next year Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius SFC to finish off that set, then maybe the Gameboy and FC Paro's which I enjoy a tad less). Also have Parodius Portable PSP, hate it for one huge reason, 6 songs got changed out as Konami didn't want to either purchase rights to use them, or was very careful not to use them for fear of being sued. Got enough Parodius here to shake a stick at.

Also good is Twinbee, Shuzilow Ha did the later games of Twinbee and I believe Parodius. Good timing with this topic as Da is the one now that I'm playing in various incarnations to get decent at, either SFC, X68K, or arcade/PS1/Saturn. Arcade Da is the hardest with difficulty if you don't die quickly, the game is absolutely ruthless with rank, no home port matches the arcade version in sheer difficulty.

Yup I love Parodius, have since I laid eyes on them at various times in EGM's import section in the magazine that they used to run. Said to myself back then I'd get the whole series, well, I have the whole series these days.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    Parodius rocks. As hyper Japanese/bizarre as it is, I still believe it was a poor move not to bring it on over to North America. Beyond the marketability of Japanese culture in the American market, I think that there was possibly more than a little bit of the whole "us Japanese and our ways are incomprehensible to outsiders" mindset going on in that decision, while in the back of their minds they secretly feared that if outsiders could appreciate something so distinctly Japanese it would diminish something of the uniqueness of the Japanese spirit.
    What's crazy is Konami did bring Parodius out of Japan but into Europe and other PAL territories a.k.a. converting code meant for NTSC-J 60 Hz TVs to work on 50 Hz PAL TVs, on top of translation, redesign, software testing, advertisement, budgeting, overhead costs, and all of the stuff they would have had to do if it were coming to America. And it wasn't a one time thing. I should know I have all 4 on NES, SNES, Gameboy, and the Sega Saturn.

But what's crazier is Konami did it for a number of their other franchises i.e. TwinBee, Rainbow Bell Adventures, CrackOut, Noah's Ark, and Konami GB Collection.

And what's even more crazier is the Konami GB Collection was the only place you can find English versions of Yie Ar Kung Fu, Arctic Adventure, Loco-Motion, and the Mystical Ninja game made in 1991 that was everything better than the 1998 version that you'd think it was made in.....1998! And it was region-free!

Konami, why do you hate us?
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah that's pretty crazy. I think it would have been a huge success in North America for sure. How can you not love Parodius?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by brainerdrainer View Post
    How can you not love Parodius?
    If you are an overly paranoid parent concerned about what it might do to Impressionable Young Minds?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

PAL Saturn is a good choice. Unmodded US console has no choice but force 60hz.
    Lum fan.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

I like the Portable Parodius collection on PSP and I really don't understand why it didn't come out here. Good thing that the PSP is region-free!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brainerdrainer View Post
    Yeah that's pretty crazy. I think it would have been a huge success in North America for sure. How can you not love Parodius?
    I dont think it would have. With most of the characters, Generic Americans would be like WTF is that? and Gradius was never popular enough to constitute releasing the parody form of it. How a few of the games made it to Europe is beyond me.

For the record, Sexy Parodius is the best in the series.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post

But what's crazier is Konami did it for a number of their other franchises i.e. TwinBee, Rainbow Bell Adventures, CrackOut, Noah's Ark, and Konami GB Collection.

Konami, why do you hate us?

Noahs Ark was made by Konami's European division specifically with no Japanese influence or release in Japan/USA (although a region 1 ntsc proto exists), Also, Konami's European division was made up of mainly Japanese Ex-pats, hence more Japanese exclusives making it over there, where as Konami America were all typical American Businessmen at the time who thought kids "Wouldnt get it" or it "Wouldnt be worth it" for this game or that...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I saw footage of Sexy Parodius Looks so damn awesome!

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Forget about the FC version. The FC just can't handle what that game is trying to do. I got sick and tired of getting killed by bullets I can't even see. Go with the PCE version; though I don't have or ever have played that one I'm sure it runs much better and doesn't have rendering issues.

As for the rest of the series yes totally awesome and fun.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Noahs Ark was made by Konami's European division specifically with no Japanese influence or release in Japan/USA (although a region 1 ntsc proto exists), Also, Konami's European division was made up of mainly Japanese Ex-pats, hence more Japanese exclusives making it over there, where as Konami America were all typical American Businessmen at the time who thought kids "Wouldnt get it" or it "Wouldnt be worth it" for this game or that...
    I was pretty sure Noah's Ark was made by some developer called Source (who also made a GB puzzle game Scarabeus or Pyramids of Ra that got a partially-complete NES port). The US version was supposed to be published by a different company (Matchbox, the toy car company) but only the PAL version got out, published by Konami.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I love the Parodius games and like most people have played Da! the most on Snes or PS,the Snes has 3 versions of Parodius on it and they never cease to be whacky,in the third game i like playing as Ran the cat lol
    You Tube
    Parodius non-sense-fantasy (Parodius Da! Shinwa kara owaraie)
    Parodius Fantastic Journey (Gokujo Parodius!-Kako no eiko o motomete)
    Jikkyo Oshaberi Parodius (Chatting Parodius Live!)