Thread: Rarity Guide Down?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Rarity Guide Down?

The online rarity guide seems to have been down for a couple of days now. Anyone know what's up?

Thanks,
    Info

Insert Coin (Level 0) danawhitaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unhappy

Well derp. I completely missed this forum when I posted a similar thread about this 24 hours ago in the Classic Gaming forum. That thread only got one response. My bad at not noticing this forum earlier. Anyway, I've asked on the IRC channel twice and have gotten no response there either. It wasn't a real problem for me until earlier today when I really needed to look up something about a confusing Gameboy release I found on eBay. I managed to stumble onto the proper information elsewhere, but I'm hoping the guide will be back up soon.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Probably nothing serious. I've noticed that the guide goes down from time to time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Probably nothing serious. I've noticed that the guide goes down from time to time.
    Maybe. I hope so. I've been using it on almost a daily basis since August and haven't run into problems before, but that's a very small segment of time I guess in the entire history of the guide.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

honestly, ya probably shouldnt even follow that guide as a resource to begin with....its kind of all over the place, some stuff is right, some is wayyyyyyyyyyyy far off...
    Last edited by Parodius Duh!; 01-27-2013 at 04:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    honestly, ya probably shouldnt even follow that guide as a resource to begin with....its kind of all over the place, some stuff is right, some is wayyyyyyyyyyyy far off...
    Do you mean data about the origin of games, or the prices? I'm not using it for pricing info generally. But it's been great for figuring out older Atari releases (the real releases vs. the Sears re-releases), and things of that nature. I'm working on my own personal database of releases for each console and handheld, and I'm working off allgame.com as my main source list. I'm particular in that I only want U.S. releases, and I don't care about collecting identical variants (like the Sears clones). Occasionally I'll come across games in there that aren't accurate - like yesterday, there was a Game Boy game in there listed as Dynablaster. It turns out that's a European release of a game that went by another name when it was released here, but some sites list it as being a U.S. release. The Digit Press guide is phenomenal at weeding out stuff like that usually, often with descriptive information. The same goes for games that maybe were supposed to be released but were really just in the rumor mill. I find information in it that I don't find most other places. It's not the only resource I use, but a key one at determining that information after all other sources have generally failed. At the very least, it lets me weigh which side I should learn toward when faced with a confusing game.

It's also good for picking up game IDs that are missing from GameFAQs release listings.
    Last edited by danawhitaker; 01-27-2013 at 05:01 PM.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Outside of some values getting out-of-date and recent stuff not being listed, the guide is still an excellent source of information.

It's kind of a sad state of affairs when a lot of our more active users these days are talking down about the rarity guide. While I'd hesitate to consider myself part of the old crowd, since there are plenty of prominent members who joined Digital Press years before I did (although they seem to be more and more disappearing...), I guess I still hail from a different era of the Retrogaming Roundtable, back when the guide was highly respected and consider a central feature of the site and would help attract people to the board. While it definitely needs some updating, I don't think the passing of time has negated the majority of its usefulness. I know I still look things up with it regularly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's back up. Thanks to whoever fixed it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Glad its up . Thanks to those who fixed it.