Thread: Bally Computer System

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Bally Computer System

I bought a bunch of stuff the other day and one bit is the Bally Computer System, something I've wanted for some time.

System:
    Untested, I need to replace the RF connector at the end as it is currently stripped off to the bare wire but still a good 4' or so long. Power plug is still attached and cabling looks fine. Overall appearance is fair, all wood paneling is nice, the plastic cover has some abrasive marks but only visible in reflection with no cracks, gold trim has a few scuffed spots turned black, contacts on the number pad could use cleaning as some sound sticky or hard to press. Currently have found no controllers.

Games:
    Just the cartridges - Dog Patch, Grand Prix, and Astro Battle

I plan to replace the RF connector end and hunt down a controller. What is a rough estimate these are going for and what can I expect to pay for a working controller? Are there alternative controllers other than the Bally ones I see?
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

The Astrocade's controllers were pretty unique and I've never seen a third-party replacement for them. I'm not an expert, though.

You might want to try the machine out before you go to the expense of buying controllers and games for it. It had issues with heat build-up killing the processors. I bought one years back and it took me around six months to try it out - I was excited to finally own a boxed one, and I didn't want to try and play it only to discover the hardware had failed. Thinking I had a working machine to me was better than confirming I had a dead one. Luckily it worked. I've discovered that games are hard to come by for it in the wild, though. Really, all you need is The Incredible Wizard (an amazingly accurate port of Wizard of Wor) and a second player, and you're good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I replaced the RCA connector and hooked it up with an F-adapter to the TV, turned it on and everything looked and sounded great. Tested powering it on with each game and everything is good, just need controllers now. I have continued to search with various search engines, browse auction sites, and dig through forums with little success in finding some for sale or sold. The games and console itself come up every now and then with complaints of brittle, broken controllers. I will continue to keep mine away from the carpet as I search high and low.

As a side note, I have seen some Videocade cartridges in the past for a few bucks but really doubted I would eventually own the system. I cannot recall what games I have stumbled across but it does appear they get very uncommon and rare even on-line.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor View Post
    As a side note, I have seen some Videocade cartridges in the past for a few bucks but really doubted I would eventually own the system. I cannot recall what games I have stumbled across but it does appear they get very uncommon and rare even on-line.
    This guy sells NIB common titles in lots (and decent ones too!). He helped me jumpstart my Astrocade collection: http://myworld.ebay.com/tomalek/
    Console5.com - Console parts, kits, games and more. [shop] [wiki] [RSS] [f] [t]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    This guy sells NIB common titles in lots (and decent ones too!). He helped me jumpstart my Astrocade collection: http://myworld.ebay.com/tomalek/
    I have been watching that auction, it's really sad I missed this one a week back:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/29-Never-Bee...-/170983950853

I am holding off on buying more games for the system (unless it's a crazy good deal) until I can get some controllers.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Congrats on finding one period! Astrocade consoles are incredibly tough to find now, they don't turn up often in the wild at all. About eight years ago I got lucky and found out that my brother's youth pastor had a boxed one since he was a kid which I bought but haven't found anything else for it since in the wild. Most collectors won't sell theirs either, seems to be a pretty cherished item for them and I can see why as it's a really fun system to play.

I would guess to say that a system in the wild would be worth at least $75 loose and much much more boxed. A controller would probably be somewhere in the $20 to $30 range along.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post
    I would guess to say that a system in the wild would be worth at least $75 loose and much much more boxed.
    Heh heh, I bought mine boxed with something like ten cartridges at a stall out at the local flea market for $40. It was the same stall that I bought a Myriad 6-in-1 cartridge for the NES at for $3. He also had an INTV model III that I always thought about buying but never did. I haven't seen that guy's stall open in years, unfortunately. In fact, it's probably been a couple years since I've gone out to that flea market, since (a) I don't like Spanish music blasted at me at top volume from each and every stall I pass, and (b) it's been so picked over by resellers now that it's not worth the effort.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was thinking $20 would be a reasonable price for a controller, I'd much prefer a pair or more at once considering that would add up to over half or exceed the cost of the machine as a whole package if they're going for $75-100. Just about all it's good for right now is a calculator or to doodle.