Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best place to buy Japanese games (not for current systems)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by recorderdude View Post
    Goin for the Hudson Selection series, eh? Seems like the PS2 versions are half the price of the GC ones and, having played both the PS2 and GC ones, they're practically identical, so if you want em to play, I'd go for those. If you want them because gamecube though, good luck to ya.
    Which would make sense if I had a PS2 of any sort, which I don't. Also I just want Bonk at this rate, Lode Runner I doubt they could find a way to make fun for long and I have a love-hate thing with Adventure Island as it is so that would have to be stupid cheap to buy it ($10~.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    yamatoku-classic on ebay, dude lists anything for every system and starting bids are always .01-1.00
    Also hit-japan. Both are GREAT sellers and you can often get some good deals.

yamatoku-classic

hit-japan

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Which would make sense if I had a PS2 of any sort, which I don't. Also I just want Bonk at this rate, Lode Runner I doubt they could find a way to make fun for long and I have a love-hate thing with Adventure Island as it is so that would have to be stupid cheap to buy it ($10~.)
    Actually, Hudson Selection Adventure Island has a mode where taking a hit takes a bit off of your hunger bar but doesn't kill you. You'll still die in 3-4 hits if you don't replenish, but trust me, it's FAR less enfuriating. I love adventure island but the one-hit KOs seldom *don't* feel cheap.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Stringfellow78

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    Also hit-japan. Both are GREAT sellers and you can often get some good deals.

yamatoku-classic

hit-japan
    I will also vouch for Yamatoku_Classic got a famicom for $15 and after very little work it plays great and when I say little work I mean cleaning and getting an rf cable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yamatoku is good. Hit-japan is okay, they seem like they've gotten a bit greedy with shipping stuff recently but that's just my opinion.

I've used Goody Japan for a lot of my recent YJA stuff. 600y bid fee and 250y bank transfer fee right off the bat for YJA stuff, but they don't want it until they're ready to ship out to you. They also take PayPal and will hold your items for up to 30 days to combine so I can't really say I've got many issues.

I only use them for rare/obscure stuff or super good deals. I got a batch of 5 Virtual Boy games for 500Y before the other fees, which really worked out nicely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone here remember the eBay seller japandy? That dude was awesome. English speaking white dude that lived in Japan and he would take requests. I.e. He would go to Super Potato or wherever and get stuff for you if you gave him a grocery list of goodies. I miss that dude.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, has anyone here seen SolarisJapan?/

I found them searching for shops that sell Satellaview 8M Packs. The Super Famicom "Bargains" section seemed alright from what I could tell. Any reviews?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post

I found them searching for shops that sell Satellaview 8M Packs. The Super Famicom "Bargains" section seemed alright from what I could tell. Any reviews?
    Those really are low prices for loose SFC, but the selection is smaller. 350 JPY for Rockman Soccer and 500 JPY for Super Mario World seems good. I placed an order for 7 items so we'll see.
    Last edited by Nesmaster; 01-29-2013 at 05:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They are?! Seems pretty pricey to me :/

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

JapanGameStock.com has been good to me. I've ordered many Japanese Dreamcast games from there and JapanGameStock's selection goes back to the Famicom.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    Anyone here remember the eBay seller japandy? That dude was awesome. English speaking white dude that lived in Japan and he would take requests. I.e. He would go to Super Potato or wherever and get stuff for you if you gave him a grocery list of goodies. I miss that dude.
    retrogamecity will do that foryou too. just message him, hes an American in Japan

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    JapanGameStock.com has been good to me. I've ordered many Japanese Dreamcast games from there and JapanGameStock's selection goes back to the Famicom.
    Carts are great from them, but Id never purchase a Disc game from them again. "Great" condition to them is covered in light scrathces, where as "Great" condition to someone like yamatoku-classic on ebay means the discs still look brand frickin new!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by recorderdude View Post
    Actually, Hudson Selection Adventure Island has a mode where taking a hit takes a bit off of your hunger bar but doesn't kill you. You'll still die in 3-4 hits if you don't replenish, but trust me, it's FAR less enfuriating. I love adventure island but the one-hit KOs seldom *don't* feel cheap.
    That right there is my love hate thing with it, one hit death and shrinking health constantly and the floaty control a little too, now you've got me interested in it. I wonder I'd they found a way to make lode runner fun. I am liking the updated star soldier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    Pretty much what the title says. The problem I'm having is that it seems that Play-Asia is too expensive and Ebay sellers seem to gouge. I had a friend of mine come back from Japan with all sorts of PSX games that were pretty fun and he payed MUCH less than what Play-Asia and Ebay sellers want. I understand that shipping half way around the world isn't cheap but there MUST be a better place to buy these things. Do any of the Japanese stores sell online to those outside of Japan or am I pretty much stuck with Play-Asia and Ebay?
    eBay is your best option even though you may not like to hear that. Just be patient when searching games. The cheap titles in Japan are common games. I was able to rack up a bunch of games in my time mostly for Saturn and Dreamcast.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post

They're good. I also recommend http://www.japaneseretrovideogames.com/

Strawberry (Level 2) SEGA_Queen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dementia_ View Post
    I've been wondering about Solaris Japan myself. I even made a topic in the Import-Mania section of the site, but nobody replied. Oh well, at least I've got my answer now. Thanks dementia!

Insert Coin (Level 0) zakthedodo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've purchased from the following many times and never had any issue.

Hit Japan
    Japan Trust777
    akiba connect
    susi-sumo jpn

I usually sort by price lowest to highest and was nicely surprised some of the prices I got.
    The usual suspects, say for the Mega Drive...Pulseman, Battle Mania 2 for example I found between 70 to 100.
    However, as good as a game Gleylancer is, it's always near 200...forget it.
    They usually show a photo of the exact item and shipping isn't that bad, say 7 dollars a game, but shipping for systems is almost as much as the systems themselves.
    Last edited by zakthedodo; 02-06-2013 at 03:23 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dementia_ View Post
    Thanks for that link! I took a look at them and they had a Mega-CD with obi that I was looking for at a very reasonable price.

Similarly to them though (a retro site based in the UK), I've used a site called http://www.genkivideogames.com/ and they were pretty awesome to work with. Prices were reasonable, everything was shipped fast and packed well, plus they gave me some promo stickers which was a nice little extra.

Insert Coin (Level 0) SaturnHST's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yamatoku is great. They always put up lots of detailed pics of the actual item and they are usually in great condition.

Hit Japan is ok. They always put up a Best Offer option and will usually accept a lower price. The condition of their items aren't as good though. Discs/cases have scratches, dust and discoloration. They use to use stock photos for all their items but it looks like they stopped doing that. I did get one of their 100 game lots and the box arrived crushed/partially opened and was missing around 20 games; was probably opened by customs. I contacted Hit Japan and they sent me an additional 20 games, so they're pretty good about that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use Ryoplanshop on eBay quite a bit.

Very friendly and reasonable prices, they also include free tea with every order!