Thread: PS3 & Xbox 360 Games with Local 4-Player

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Talking PS3 & Xbox 360 Games with Local 4-Player

Lately I've been looking for multi-player games for the PS3 and Xbox 360 which have local multiplayer for up to four players, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be all that many. So let's make a record about which ones we know.

Xbox 360 - Call of Duty: Black Ops II
    Xbox 360 - Midway Arcade Origins
    Xbox 360 - SEGA Superstars Tennis

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're open to the idea of downloadable games, the possibilities expand. PSN/XBLA feature lots of great local multiplayer stuff, as well as there being a number of worthy up-to-4-player games if you're willing to venture into indie games territory. In addition to a host of awesome arcade and console re-releases, I've had a lot of fun with all of these:

PSN/XBLA - Dungeon Defenders ... For those that enjoy tower defense, this is a most enjoyable hero defense that's far better when played with friends.
    PSN/XBLA - Scott Pilgrim The Game ... A 4-player, pseudo-retro, River City Ransom-inspired beat-'em-up. Well worth it.
    XBLA - Trials Evolution ... The 4-player races here can be very entertaining and are often chock full of near misses, daring stunts and hilarious spills. If you dig 2D bike physics racers, I recommend it.
    XBLIG - Storage Inc. ... It won't be for everyone, but this is quite the awesome bit of coop multiplayer for those that can get behind the unlikely idea of shipping & receiving given an arcade-style treatment. It's stressful, high stakes and, honestly, a lot of fun.
    XBLIG - Quadsmash ... A supremely slick 2D vehicular combat/sports game that is an immensely good time with four players. Few games have stoked competitive spirit among my group of friends like Smashball mode. At 400 points, I fear this game priced itself out of the market, but it's totally worth checking out.

This next one is a completely self-serving suggestion, but my friends and I released a 4-player local multiplayer game that's essentially a tournament-style Zelda deathmatch with an RPG job system. It's called Grand Class Melee (as per my sig) and you can find it on Xbox Live Indie Games.

whaler on the moon Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing has local four player options. I am speaking for the 360 version, but I assume the same is true for PS3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Midway Arcade Origins has Gauntlet, Gauntlet II, and Tournament Cyberball 2072. And it has quite a few 3 player games available including Super Sprint (Championship Sprint was a cheaper and smaller game with just two player support), Super Off-Road, Rampage, Rampart, and Xenophobe.

Edit: I guess I should read the original post a bit more carefully.

Gauntlet was on XBLA and Gauntlet II was on PSN so there's two four player releases not mentioned yet. But of course both were delisted in the wake of Midway's implosion.

The Game Room service on the Xbox 360 has several four player Atari 2600 games. But they were paddle games and are to be avoided in general on there (Although Steeplechase is perfectly playable and didn't take full advantage of the capabilities of the paddle).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-29-2013 at 10:56 PM.