Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Default MAME Machine For Sale

Due to lack of space, it's time to sell my MAME cab. I'm asking $500 which includes the cab, TV, and computer (I'll have to remove the roms before selling however). It would be local pickup in SE Michigan or you'll have to arrange for your own shipping.

The cab is actually pretty nice. It's not one of those top of the line $2000+ deals you see on ebay, but it works really well. It's definitely home made (plywood covered with laminate), but the craftsmanship is solid. It has:

CPU: Pentium 4 computer (3.8 Ghz) with 2GB of RAM, and a 250GB hard drive. This was my main computer before I got my new one a few years ago (it's a Dell XPS systems if you remember those). It's running Windows XP with MAME32 as a frontend. The roms were up to date as of a year ago (no chds though).

CRT: I'm using a 27" CRT TV connected to the video card via S-video. The resolution is high enough to see what you're doing in XP, and works great in MAME. The giant TV makes a great monitor and the mouse can be controlled with the trackball.

Controls: The control panel has two six button joysticks and a three button trackball. I installed new sticks into it a few years ago that pull and twist so you can switch between 4 and 8 way for different games (makes a huge difference). The decoder is a HAPP board, and I have the instructions for configuring it.

Other: There are two areas in the top of cabinet for installing speakers, but I just put my computer speakers in them and they work great. There's a CD drive built into the front but I don't have it hooked up to the computer inside (never saw a need to do that). The control panel flips open and has storage underneath (this is where I keep the mouse and keyboard).

Here are some pictures:

Front View

Side View

Control panel flipped up

Back view

MAME running

More MAME

Even more MAME

Last edited by Tempest; 01-30-2013 at 10:34 AM.
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

That's a good looking cab. I've been in the process of building one over the last 5 years out of an old Atari Space Duel cab. I have pretty much everything I need, just haven't found the motivation to finish it. I do have a question though. You mention no CHD's. Were you limited on HDD space, CPU power, or just didn't care about having them in there.

Good luck with the sale BTW. At least you aren't charging upwards of $1200 I see people trying to fetch for them on Craigslist for a 60 in 1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Quote Originally Posted by fluid_matrix View Post
    I do have a question though. You mention no CHD's. Were you limited on HDD space, CPU power, or just didn't care about having them in there.
    A combo of hard drive space (it's only a 250GB hard drive) and just didn't care.

Quote Originally Posted by fluid_matrix View Post
    Good luck with the sale BTW. At least you aren't charging upwards of $1200 I see people trying to fetch for them on Craigslist for a 60 in 1.
    I've had a few people tell me that this is a good price for a setup like this. Honestly, I'm glad to hear that as I was afraid I was charging too much. Pricing something like this is always hard, and the last thing I want to do is price gouge people.

Strawberry (Level 2) sickdrummer420's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    sickdrummer420

damn wish i lived closer, i'd snag this for sure
    Drummers do it with rythym

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Really solid price here. I'm guessing from description and the way the mounting plates look from below that your joysticks are a pair of Ultimarc Mag-Stik Plus joysticks, which are $35.00 each before shipping alone. The magnetic centering rather than a centering spring feels a little different, however being able to rotate between a square gate and a diamond gate without opening the panel or reaching underneath or anything - it can't be described how useful it is on a MAME cabinet.

If anyone is curious how the 4 / 8 way change works, you can see it here during a demo of my mini MAME cabinet.

Also the cabinet, to me at least, looks like a Pole Position upright that had the upper portion widened and recontoured, then a control panel built, a new base added, and various other custom woodwork done. Pole Position cabs are a dime-a-dozen anyway and the work looks really solid from the pictures so it's not like it's some bastardized conversion or anything.
    Last edited by InsaneDavid; 02-02-2013 at 01:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    Also the cabinet, to me at least, looks like a Pole Position upright that had the upper portion widened and recontoured, then a control panel built, a new base added, and various other custom woodwork done.
    Nope, the cabinet is a totally homemade thing, it's not an old arcade cab.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

The cab is now sold!