Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: PS4 Pre-Release Rumor/Speculation Thread

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Default PS4 Pre-Release Rumor/Speculation Thread

So, this went live today.

https://us.playstation.com/meeting2013/

Sony has little else to announce at the moment, so, I'm guessing PS4.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 02-08-2013 at 11:22 AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think that's the general thinking regarding this announcement, but I'm not sure what announcing this early will get them. If anything, it will give MS more time to adjust the specs of their next console upward or at least more in line with the PS4 if the previously leaked specs for both consoles are remotely accurate. I would actually prefer it if Sony announced a really amazing slate of first party titles for the PS3 and Vita on the 20th as their first party release list for the rest of the year is pretty non-existent after Sly, GoW and Last of Us drop in the next three months.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    it will give MS more time to adjust the specs of their next console upward or at least more in line with the PS4 if the previously leaked specs for both consoles are remotely accurate.
    Not if they are planning on releasing this November. Their hardware would have had to have been finalized a couple of months ago to launch this year.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Not if they are planning on releasing this November. Their hardware would have had to have been finalized a couple of months ago to launch this year.
    That's odd. Didn't Hirai say he let Microsoft go first just last week?

So there's only two real conclusions I can draw: A) MS has already released XBOX 720 and are playing the biggest international Jedi mind trick in history. Or B) Playstation Move 2!!!! Twice da Ballz Edition. Ya! Ya! Ya! Ya!

Srsly, Sony pull your act together.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Kaz isn't directly in charge of the Playstation division any more, so if he was planning on holding out in the game of "release-chicken" that may have been nixed by new full-time Playstation Brand chairman Andrew House in favor of going first this time around. Or maybe they just plain changed their minds!

But, either first or second with Microsoft, one thing's for sure - Nintendo isn't selling Wii U's as aggressively as they were the Wii at this point in that system's lifespan. SO - both of the other next gen consoles have a shot at a bigger portion of consumer real estate.

OR, both similarly might meet tepid receptions depending on what they offer and how compelling their launch lineups are.

WHO KNOWS! It's all speculation at this point but whatever happens I'll be watching on the 20th to see what's what!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Not necessarily. If you're talking about overall architecture and macro design decisions, you're correct. However, they can still adjust total memory and type, as well as the processor and cores with six months lead time. They are still nine months out. Both Sony and Microsoft look to be using off-the-shelf PC components this time around, so it really isn't out of the question to keep making changes as they already have their manufacturing windows locked in and it doesn't matter to Foxconn what they are slapping into the case.
    Last edited by Bojay1997; 01-31-2013 at 08:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    Or B) Playstation Move 2!!!! Twice da Ballz Edition. Ya! Ya! Ya! Ya!
    I fully expect the Move 2 to be fully integrated into PS4. Well not really but I have a feeling they aren't just going to leave that concept behind.

I also don't think Sony has any other gaming tricks up their sleeves outside of maybe a few price cuts. So this seems like a give-me that they will be announcing the PS4. And if that turns out to be true I will be glad to find out about it sooner rather than later.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope it has a better browser, or no browser at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Not necessarily. If you're talking about overall architecture and macro design decisions, you're correct. However, they can still adjust total memory and type, as well as the processor and cores with six months lead time. They are still nine months out. Both Sony and Microsoft look to be using off-the-shelf PC components this time around, so it really isn't out of the question to keep making changes as they already have their manufacturing windows locked in and it doesn't matter to Foxconn what they are slapping into the case.
    I think things have to be finalized much, much earlier. I think Kaz's statement is just a pure bluff on Sony's part. It was such a silly comment by him. You can't take that seriously. Assuming the PS4 is coming out this November, the final hardware would pretty much be set in stone. Only the memory and little things like number of usb ports and such, could be altered this late in the game. It's the same thing for the next Xbox. Neither company is going to really be able to do much "altering" to the formula at this stage in the game. The hardware is, what it is. They are pretty much stuck like Chuck from a hardware standpoint, unless they are coming out in 2014 or something.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I expect the price to be around this much.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Neat. I'm more interested in the whole "can't play used games" rumor, as that has more of an influence on if I'm going to bother with the PS4 or not than the price (not that the price isn't a factor).

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think things have to be finalized much, much earlier. I think Kaz's statement is just a pure bluff on Sony's part. It was such a silly comment by him. You can't take that seriously. Assuming the PS4 is coming out this November, the final hardware would pretty much be set in stone. Only the memory and little things like number of usb ports and such, could be altered this late in the game. It's the same thing for the next Xbox. Neither company is going to really be able to do much "altering" to the formula at this stage in the game. The hardware is, what it is. They are pretty much stuck like Chuck from a hardware standpoint, unless they are coming out in 2014 or something.
    Disagree. Manufacturing has not begun on either system at this point and even on the 360, the processor and graphics chip weren't finalized until late in 2004 for a November 2005 launch. Component manufacturing didn't ramp up until late Spring of 2005. Frankly, design technology and the rapidity of building supply chains has only gotten more efficient in the seven years since, led by companies like Apple and Samsung in their development of Chinese manufacturing capabilities which all companies now have ready access to. Microsoft and Sony can both make changes to processor and memory capability at this point. Whether they will or not is a different question.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Disagree. Manufacturing has not begun on either system at this point and even on the 360, the processor and graphics chip weren't finalized until late in 2004 for a November 2005 launch. Component manufacturing didn't ramp up until late Spring of 2005. Frankly, design technology and the rapidity of building supply chains has only gotten more efficient in the seven years since, led by companies like Apple and Samsung in their development of Chinese manufacturing capabilities which all companies now have ready access to. Microsoft and Sony can both make changes to processor and memory capability at this point. Whether they will or not is a different question.
    They have to set things in stone pretty early so the fabs can see if they are getting satisfactory yields. I'm guessing they are probably testing what kind of yields they're getting right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    Neat. I'm more interested in the whole "can't play used games" rumor, as that has more of an influence on if I'm going to bother with the PS4 or not than the price (not that the price isn't a factor).
    This is highly unlikely, because that would cause an enormous drop in hardware sales. Being the only one of the three big consoles that doesn't let you play used games would be devastating to their hardware sales, and that means games sales would be equally affected. So I really don't see this happening; It's just one of those "news items" that spreads like wildfire because it makes people nervous or angry, even though patents are registered all the time without actually being used(and sometimes even to stop others from using it).

As for what the announcement will be, considering how much they're trying to build anticipation here, I would actually bet it's the PS4. What other Playstation product would they be so "secretive, but you can probably guess what it is" about? Also, the official Playstation Twitter tweeted "See the future: ," and then the link to this site, so ... yeah, it's going to be the PS4.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

They have to set things in stone pretty early so the fabs can see if they are getting satisfactory yields. I'm guessing they are probably testing what kind of yields they're getting right now.
    If the specs previously leaked for both are to be believed, these are based on pretty standard AMD designs with some GPU customization. As such, there is not going to be much concern about yields. Still, it really depends on the final launch window. Some rumors are pegging the next Xbox at September which would be too late to significantly modify at this point.
    Last edited by Bojay1997; 02-01-2013 at 09:59 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guyra View Post
    This is highly unlikely, because that would cause an enormous drop in hardware sales. Being the only one of the three big consoles that doesn't let you play used games would be devastating to their hardware sales, and that means games sales would be equally affected. So I really don't see this happening; It's just one of those "news items" that spreads like wildfire because it makes people nervous or angry, even though patents are registered all the time without actually being used(and sometimes even to stop others from using it).

As for what the announcement will be, considering how much they're trying to build anticipation here, I would actually bet it's the PS4. What other Playstation product would they be so "secretive, but you can probably guess what it is" about? Also, the official Playstation Twitter tweeted "See the future: ," and then the link to this site, so ... yeah, it's going to be the PS4.
    Or they licensed the Oculus Rift headset and you can literally "see" the future.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

\

This is pretty much as close as you can come without saying flat out its going to be released this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well we only have 19 days to go officially but you just know that someone will most likely leak this info before then. I also don't think we will learn much about it outside of the name and a few specs. They will save the price, launch date, online strategy and other stuff for later dates. But they will probably leave us with something significant to wet our appetites.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

It'll be a PS3 with FULL PS2 BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY! And support for Minidiscs, UMDs, cassette tapes and 8-track tapess!

(Note: Vinyl adapter costs $100.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

PS3 mini
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.