Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PS4 Pre-Release Rumor/Speculation Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm glad I'm not one of those people.
    I won't be giving up gaming or buying any new consoles.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    I used to work in a retail store. From time to time there would be pissed off customers who would swear to never shop at our store again. They always came back. The problem is that, and I hate to say it, people are just too weak. People will threaten to never purchase another console but most of them will do so anyway because when it comes down to it, they want to play their games. Sure there will be a bunch who really give up gaming and not purchase another console over this but those are likely going to be the people who mostly purchased used games in the first place; i.e. the people that developers will miss the least.
    ! OK, hypothetical question.....how are those "weak people" gonna give in to their gaming vices when they got no money to buy said games in the first place? Seriously, do you expect every, I mean, EVERY consumer to keep buying new $60 games while forcing them to hang onto their old games like pack rats hording ketchup packets? At least used games you sell can pay for new ones but what's Average Joe Schmoe on a fixed budget going to do in he or she can't recoup a little money? There's the fallacy of your point. Banning used games punishes "good gamers" as well the "bad gamers". You're turning an open, inclusive, semi-expensive hobby into a shrinking self-exclusive country club for die-hards and rich kids. It's ain't a moral dilemma, it's a money problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just saw a commercial for Dead Space 3 and the announcer at the end said the 360 is now starting at $100. I guess its the 4gb version, but still thats a really good retaliation on Microsofts part. Makes me want to get it since 90% of the PS3 games I want are on it, and a few insane bullet hell shooters are exclusives.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    I just saw a commercial for Dead Space 3 and the announcer at the end said the 360 is now starting at $100. I guess its the 4gb version, but still thats a really good retaliation on Microsofts part. Makes me want to get it since 90% of the PS3 games I want are on it, and a few insane bullet hell shooters are exclusives.
    That's kind of misleading. It's $99 with a two year subscription plan to XBL at $14.99 per month, so it really costs you $460 over two years. The 4 gig console is still $200 MSRP.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    ! OK, hypothetical question.....how are those "weak people" gonna give in to their gaming vices when they got no money to buy said games in the first place? Seriously, do you expect every, I mean, EVERY consumer to keep buying new $60 games while forcing them to hang onto their old games like pack rats hording ketchup packets? At least used games you sell can pay for new ones but what's Average Joe Schmoe on a fixed budget going to do in he or she can't recoup a little money? There's the fallacy of your point. Banning used games punishes "good gamers" as well the "bad gamers". You're turning an open, inclusive, semi-expensive hobby into a shrinking self-exclusive country club for die-hards and rich kids. It's ain't a moral dilemma, it's a money problem.
    When publishers and developers make more money on each game sale, they can then adjust MSRP to a more reasonable rate. People trading games in to Gamestop only get maybe $20-$30 back for a new game, so it's not like they are completely subsidizing their new purchases using credit. In fact, a large percentage of GS buyers never buy new at all, so that part of the ecosystem may be impacted, but it's not a profitable one for publishers and developers anyway. Gamestop would clearly suffer as it is the majority of their revenue. I think you underestimate how many non-rich people already buy media products that they can't or don't trade in on a regular basis now.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    That's kind of misleading. It's $99 with a two year subscription plan to XBL at $14.99 per month, so it really costs you $460 over two years. The 4 gig console is still $200 MSRP.
    wow thats total fucking bull shit if you cant get the console without the plan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't say that I support what Microsoft and Sony are doing but I understand WHY they're doing it.

If this were done correctly both Microsoft and Sony would have a press conference announcing that their new consoles would not be able to play used games but that prices for the games would be cut in half. Of course this won't happen though.

So what will probably happen is that sales of consoles and games will decrease but overall profits won't change all that much because they'll still be selling more new games then they ever did before.

The wildcard in all of this will be companies like Steam. Yeah, you still can't purchase or sell used games with it but the prices for their games will continue to attract a lot of new users including a lot of old console only people who will be attracted to the Steam Box

All this being said, I'd still be very surprised if either Microsoft or Sony decides to follow through with the plan to block used games this generation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wow thats total fucking bull shit if you cant get the console without the plan.
    You totally can! You just have to pay $200 bucks up front
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

My feedback thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93213

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

That's easy. Sony themselves could initiate a buy back program where they buy your game for next to nothing, re-activate it, and sell it again(refurbished) for slightly cheaper than new prices are. Getting something for your game is better than nothing(the only other alternative in this scenario) and Sony rids themselves of Game Stop in the process...hypothetically speaking of course.
    Last edited by jb143; 02-05-2013 at 03:12 PM.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    Sony rids themselves of Game Stop in the process...hypothetically speaking of course.
    Don't you just love companies being all greedy? Whether you love them or loathe them, ya gotta admit Gamestop provides a valuable service by making games affordable for the folks who can't shell out the cash to buy new and intentionally trying to end that would make a lot of lower-income gamers very angry.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8-bitNesMan View Post
    You totally can! You just have to pay $200 bucks up front
    :S Ive just been waiting this generation to actually buy a console when its $100. So now after I read that post all my enthusiasm went out the window.....for now at least. I was actually considering just buying that instead of going to Ushicon this weekend. Glad I read it before I went to a store.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

:S Ive just been waiting this generation to actually buy a console when its $100. So now after I read that post all my enthusiasm went out the window.....for now at least. I was actually considering just buying that instead of going to Ushicon this weekend. Glad I read it before I went to a store.
    $100 is traditionally the "retirement" price of modern consoles from the 32 bit era onwards.

It'll happen with 360 and PS3 eventually, but not at least until the next gen consoles from those companies launch.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Try buying cregslist or whatever its called. Thats where I got my PS3.

Posted from Kindle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retroguy View Post
    Don't you just love companies being all greedy? Whether you love them or loathe them, ya gotta admit Gamestop provides a valuable service by making games affordable for the folks who can't shell out the cash to buy new and intentionally trying to end that would make a lot of lower-income gamers very angry.
    The difference between $55 snd $60 isn't really that big.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    The difference between $55 snd $60 isn't really that big.
    Well, you're right about that, but I was referring more to the games that had been out awhile where the difference is bigger. I don't know about anyone else, but when the Gamecube was still current, if there was a game that I couldn't afford to pay full price for, I would wait for the price to drop down to something I could afford, which it always does eventually. It's just a matter of being patient.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    That's easy. Sony themselves could initiate a buy back program where they buy your game for next to nothing, re-activate it, and sell it again(refurbished) for slightly cheaper than new prices are. Getting something for your game is better than nothing(the only other alternative in this scenario) and Sony rids themselves of Game Stop in the process...hypothetically speaking of course.
    Or an easier solution would be if they offer a rewards coupon in each game, if you collect five coupons you can mail them in for a free game and some exclusive bonus item. One would assume that you wouldn't find these coupons in used copies as people would keep them to redeem, so it could convince people to buy new copies over used ones. I seem to remember seeing coupons for free games back in the 90's so it's not like it's never been done before.

If companies still can't make enough profit on games anymore, they need to reduce the wages of the programmers. The only reason their wages got so high was because companies were making so much profit on the games that they wanted their fair share, if companies can't make a profit anymore then there's no more money to be shared with them, meaning lower wages.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I picked up a practically brand new 360 arcade (back in 2009) for $99 from Entertainmart. It had the box and manuals included. I added a $20 HDD to complete the package. This was my secondary 360 though, that I keep in my man cave when I don't have access to the big television in the livingroom.

http://www.entertainmart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    I can't say that I support what Microsoft and Sony are doing but I understand WHY they're doing it.

If this were done correctly both Microsoft and Sony would have a press conference announcing that their new consoles would not be able to play used games but that prices for the games would be cut in half. Of course this won't happen though.

So what will probably happen is that sales of consoles and games will decrease but overall profits won't change all that much because they'll still be selling more new games then they ever did before.

The wildcard in all of this will be companies like Steam. Yeah, you still can't purchase or sell used games with it but the prices for their games will continue to attract a lot of new users including a lot of old console only people who will be attracted to the Steam Box

All this being said, I'd still be very surprised if either Microsoft or Sony decides to follow through with the plan to block used games this generation.
    Used game sales affect 3rd party publishers, more than the console makers. Sony and MS get a royalty fee for every title sold, no matter what the publisher is selling it for. If they are looking for this to be an incentive to publish titles on their consoles, it could end up being no better than keeping things the way they are.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 02-05-2013 at 06:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retroguy View Post
    Well, you're right about that, but I was referring more to the games that had been out awhile where the difference is bigger. I don't know about anyone else, but when the Gamecube was still current, if there was a game that I couldn't afford to pay full price for, I would wait for the price to drop down to something I could afford, which it always does eventually. It's just a matter of being patient.
    I hold out for cheap prices, too.
    Steam is awesome for that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    If companies still can't make enough profit on games anymore, they need to reduce the wages of the programmers. The only reason their wages got so high was because companies were making so much profit on the games that they wanted their fair share, if companies can't make a profit anymore then there's no more money to be shared with them, meaning lower wages.
    Programmers make jack shit. The ballooning budgets come from the increasing size of dev teams, licensed middelware, extraneous shit like cutscenes and voice acting, and marketing.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    $100 is traditionally the "retirement" price of modern consoles from the 32 bit era onwards.

It'll happen with 360 and PS3 eventually, but not at least until the next gen consoles from those companies launch.
    Yeah, thats why I was so excited when I saw the commercial. 360 versions of games I want are less than PS3, so this would have been a good purchase for now. The XBL cost though is just gauging people for trying to get a deal.