Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: PS4 Pre-Release Rumor/Speculation Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    So what will probably happen is that sales of consoles and games will decrease but overall profits won't change all that much because they'll still be selling more new games then they ever did before.
    A good chunk of the value for traded in videogames surely must be put towards purchasing new games. So I don't think it's a given that new game sales will not only not decrease, but will instead grow. Such a decision isn't going to keep every single new purchase that would've otherwise been made in year's past while adding purchases from individual's that would've bought a used copy in year's past.

And a good number of people aren't buying games exclusively used or new but rather a combination of the two. Taking away the ability to buy used games will eliminate some of these customer's at least for a time until prices drop and some very well might stay away permanently.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-06-2013 at 01:07 AM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Programmers make jack shit. The ballooning budgets come from the increasing size of dev teams, licensed middelware, extraneous shit like cutscenes and voice acting, and marketing.
    From Wikipedia;

Results of a 2010 survey indicate that the average salary for a game programmer is USD$95,300 annually. The least experienced programmers (with less than 3 years experience) generally earn about $74,600, while developers with over six years experience on average earn $125,700.

Generally, lead programmers are the most well compensated, though some 3D graphics programmers may challenge or surpass their salaries. According to the same survey above, lead programmers on average earn $127,900 annually.
    Maybe that's out of date but it's still pretty high. You're right about why the costs in production have shot up, it takes more people to make modern games compared to older games. What can they really do now to reduce costs? Are they going to shrink the size of dev teams? Get rid of voice acting? Market them less? I'm pretty sure the easiest way to reduce costs are to cut salaries, drop them to around $30K and budgets will be cut in half.

I do know that their current wages are basically on par with other programming jobs in the industry and that game programmers generally do more work than other programmers in other fields, but there isn't really enough money in video games to support it. They really should be programming other things instead of games as those pay better if they really care about making money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Successful games make plenty of money. If anything, the people that actually make those games should be earning more. The problem is that there are just too many commercial failures, and too many projects that never even make it to market. It's a matter of business strategy more than anything.

Insert Coin (Level 0) zakthedodo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope it comes out soon so the PS3 will price drop.
    I'm always 1 generation behind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You and me both, brother. That's why I'm surprised to find myself actually wanting to get a WiiU ASAP. Usually I'm content to wait, but not this time.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Playstation 4 supposedly gonna be around $400 at launch

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/02/0...cost-about-400

I've been saying forever that this is the most Sony should launch the PS4 at or it's gonna be the PS3 launch all over again.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats how much I expected it to be. Im just wondering how many gigs itll have.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Merged with existing PS4 speculation thread.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    an easier solution would be if they offer a rewards coupon in each game, if you collect five coupons you can mail them in for a free game and some exclusive bonus item. One would assume that you wouldn't find these coupons in used copies as people would keep them to redeem, so it could convince people to buy new copies over used ones.
    That's actually a great idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    From Wikipedia;

Maybe that's out of date but it's still pretty high. You're right about why the costs in production have shot up, it takes more people to make modern games compared to older games. What can they really do now to reduce costs? Are they going to shrink the size of dev teams? Get rid of voice acting? Market them less? I'm pretty sure the easiest way to reduce costs are to cut salaries, drop them to around $30K and budgets will be cut in half.

I do know that their current wages are basically on par with other programming jobs in the industry and that game programmers generally do more work than other programmers in other fields, but there isn't really enough money in video games to support it. They really should be programming other things instead of games as those pay better if they really care about making money.
    I have no problem with programmers making a good wage. They're the ones generally putting in all the time and work.

Do programmers generally get a cut of overall sales? If so then perhaps a lower salary but with a cut at the end would be fine. But even then you have developers who force programmers to rush out work.