View Poll Results: Which of these three next gen consoles do YOU think has the best design overall?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gamecube

12 44.44%
  • Playstation 2

3 11.11%
  • X-Box

3 11.11%
  • Dreamcast

9 33.33%

Thread: Best next gen console design...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Best next gen console design...

Which next gen home console do you think has the best design overall? I am talking console design, controller, all around everything. I am voting the Gamecube for a few reasons. One is how small the console is. The PS2 and Xbox are just huge by comparision. Second is the media the games are on for the system. Due to the fact that they are mini-DVD's, I believe this is a major factor as to why the Gamecube has not been pirated yet (and yes, I know games have been dumped, but I am talking about the modding/hacking of the console to play these dumps) while the other two consoles are abundant in pirate activity. Third is just how everything on the GC just "fits" in perfectly. The broadband adapter, the GC player...they just mesh with the system to perfection in my opinion, and it just seems that every cable or joystick you plug into it just "clicks" into place with literally no effort at all. It all just seems so streamlined. I do however still think the PSX joypad is better overall, but that alone doesn't sway my vote. I am not including portable systems in this poll, but am including the Dreamcast as I still consider it a next gen console worthy of being listed with the others. VOTE!

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

I was 2 seconds away from hitting Dreamcast... but when you say overall, including controller, I had to go with Gamecube.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gamecube get my vote just from the Wavebird alone. I do like the design of the system too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    I was 2 seconds away from hitting Dreamcast... but when you say overall, including controller, I had to go with Gamecube.
    Yeah, my second choice would have probably been the Dreamcast as well. Small, nice looking, 4 controller ports, decent joypad with the cool idea of allowing two ports for memory cards, and the LCD on the original memory cards was very inovative. The only real setback was that it allowed the booting of cd-r media. I believe if Sega had caught this in the beginning the Dreamcast would still be alive and kicking today...although we wouldn't have all of those neat-o emulators to play!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Drexel923
    Gamecube get my vote just from the Wavebird alone. I do like the design of the system too.
    I just got ahold of a Madkatz "MicroCon" controller for the system since my hands aren't that large and I was kind of having a bit of a problem using the d-pad for certain games that support it, and the gameboy titles of course. Great controller! Much smaller than the standard controller and super easy to access everything. Even includes a macro feature for programming combos and such.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have to go with Dreamcast. That little machine just looks so damn cool; it's exactly how a games console should look. How did Sony and Microsoft drop the ball on that one?

The GC is nice, but a little too Tellytubby-ish for me. The handle makes the thing look like a Fisher Price tote bag. And it's just so square; great design practically screams for curves. Know any beautiful women without curves?
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dunno, I kind of think the cube look is kind of futuristic in a way. Yah know what would be cool? If they released a Hellraiser exclusive Gamecube...with the design of the "box"!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dreamcast easily.

Best looking console. Most innovative controller. First of these consoles to feature online gaming. Best range of games. The fact that it's a Sega console....

...need I go on?

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gamecube gets my vote for the controller, and the inclusion of four ports.

HOWEVER

The PS2 is definitely the best LOOKING of the consoles listed (it fits perfect with a home theater system, and just looks damn cool), and the memory cards are far and away better than that of the GC.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I voted for the xbox, and you may think thats the worst aestetically of all the next gen consoles, but heres my reasoning...

I own all three, and have had them sit beside, under and on top of my tv for ages now, but a fortnight ago i bought the xbox for the first time, it sits perfectly and timelessly underneath my TV the same way a VCR or DVD player does.

People believe its too large and luggish, but this is exactly the point, consoles like the gamecube and ps2 are very 'now' but nintendo and sony will bring along new versions which will make them look dated, the xbox however is pretty much a stayer, its a simple design and apart from the green x on the top its perfect for sitting in any tv cabinate.

D

Strawberry (Level 2) Kevin Listwan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good topic.

PS2 and X box are ment to be and look like home entertainment systems ie VCR/DVD/CD players.

The gamecube got my vote even though I do not own one, nice simplistic design and looks like a game system too. Dreamcast is okay nothing special though.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, dosen't go away"

Phillip K. Dick

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bah. The Odyssey 3000 looks better, casing-wise, than any of these newfangling video game apparatus you're mentioning here.

Still, my vote would have to be...GBA SP. Thank you.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dreamcast. I can't abide the GCN controller.

Curse you PDF! GBA SP is not a valid option!
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY