Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Majora's mask or Ocarina of time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Once you learn how to slow down time early in the game, I never ran into an issue with time in Majora's Mask. Always had adequate time to do the tasks I was doing at my own pace.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Sundowner's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think Majoras Mask is much better. It was much more interesting and the time limit never bothered me at all. In OOT I always get frustrated in the water temple. I think that has to be the worst dungeon I've ever played in a zelda game. boots on, boots off, boots on, boots off....

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone and I mean ANYONE who thinks Majora's Mask "rushes" you and makes you do dungeons over either didn't find the inverted song of time at the very beginning or is just a non functioning being at videogames.

When I first played Majora's Mask when it came out I gave up very early on and deemed it "stupid" and felt that the time element ruined the game...
    Then last year I started thinking about how dark and weird the game was for zelda. It's like a horror themed zelda game and It seemed so cool on a surface level that I wanted to give it another chance.

I played it for a week straight at age 26 doing everything possible in the game and never felt rushed because you just have to manage your tasks. You really get into that feeling of doom and despair the world is experiencing. With the inverted song of time you have MORE than enough time to complete every dungeon the first time through. When you do all tasks to meet whatever you are trying to do or get to an owl statue just skip forward in time and start over. Then you can warp to the dungeons entrance via owl statue and play the inverted song of time. you will have plenty of time plus some for EVERYTHING. Save states? REALLY? That would destroy them game in my mind. That sense of urgency would be killed that way and like I said I never had to do any dungeon more than once and I am not an expert at 3D zelda in anyway. Majora's MAsk is AMAZING! PLAY IT!

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

Wind Waker over both

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ryudo View Post
    Wind Waker over both
    Wind waker was much too easy, especially as a followup to Majora's Mask. Additionally, it was very clear that they were rushed to meet deadlines and cut things from the game. One island being blown up and ruined by Ganondorf followed by the big fish giving you a Macguffin instead of having you go through a dungeon to get it like you got all the others were clear indicators of this.

And let's not all forget the Triforce piece collecting.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but it could have been so much more if they had given it more time.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Everyone hates the Triforce collecting. I preferred it, it was fun. I also liked the picture taking mechanic, even if it did break the fourth wall a bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

The correct answer to "Majora's Mask or Ocarina of Time?" is obvious:

Link to the Past.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Everyone hates the Triforce collecting. I preferred it, it was fun. I also liked the picture taking mechanic, even if it did break the fourth wall a bit.
    And it was also short. Some talk like it takes hours upon hours. I think I spent perhaps a bit over an hour on it earning rupees in that boat obstacle course to get maps translated by Tingle and then going out and retrieving everything. A bit unnecessary and long but not the tedious and long task some would have you believe.

It was one of the lesser problems Wind Waker had (A fine game, but not short of significant issues).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Majora's Mask is my least favourite 3D Zelda game by far, despite having the most interesting premise.
    It's more awkward than it is challenging, the different characters you can become are Rare-level cheese, and the save system sucks.
    I really hope it gets the remake treatment like OoT, though, because it has a lot of good ideas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What's wrong with the save system? It has the hard save that sends you back to the start of the cycle with your major items intact (And rolling around the field as a Goron for a minute or so will restock all your items) and it has temporary saves at strategic locations if you're in the middle of some task that you want to resume the next time. You can even put your rupees in the bank so you don't lose them.

I think the only change I'd of made on the N64 is make the temporary saves act more like Ocarina of Time's standard saves. Allow you to save on demand via the menu and return you to the last entrance you went through. I don't see why they had to restrict it to just those owl statues since it can be a bit of a pain if you're saving mid-dungeon. Sometimes Nintendo can be too clever for their own good and I imagine this was one of those instances.

With the 3DS and what I imagine is the inevitable follow up to Ocarina of Time 3D, I would hope the temporary save would put you back right where you left off thanks to the progress of technology making such a thing easier to impliment than back in 2000 so no back tracking in a dungeon is necessary to reach where you had left off.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-04-2013 at 04:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    What's wrong with the save system?
    You seem to have done a pretty good job of answering that yourself.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah thats another thing I hated about MM initially. That save system scared me, and I couldnt rely on save states on project64 after too long since they disappear when you turn off your computer. I want to play it again though to finish it, I got half way through the game. I have NO clue why they did it that way, if my money can be saved in the bank then let me just save the game normally.

Cherry (Level 1) Jack_Burton_BYOAC's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I enjoy the save system in Majora's Mask, among many other elements. The game does require you sit down and invest at least an hour to get much of anything done. In a way, it feels sort of 8-bit.

To me MM feels like an epic hack of OoT (which it was), everything you know and expect is turned on its head, and the overall difficulty level is quite a bit higher.

There are less dungeons, but it takes a looong time to complete one. It really feels like an event when you strike the final blow on the bosses.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    You seem to have done a pretty good job of answering that yourself.
    In a way I suppose I did. But I'd at least classify that more as a minor nitpick rather than a significant problem.

They did a decent job selecting spots for the owl statues so it's never a long trek to one to save your progress mid-task even if it is an unnecessary extra step.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-05-2013 at 12:32 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can you believe the Japanese version doesn't even HAVE the owl statues?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wingzrow View Post
    So they save system is just like in OoT? I hope not, thats a real middle finger to US customers if its not because of some coding issue with the us system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Playing the song that returns you to the start of the 72 hour cycle is nothing like Ocarina of Time's save.

What's wrong with Ocarina of Time's save system? It's on demand via the start menu and works just fine. You start off at the last entrance you went through so it could've been a bit better, but that's how 2D Zelda's handled things before then and many 3D games of the era and even later on did similarly.

It's only been this generation where I'm routinely seeing game saves that will stick me right back to exactly the moment I left off.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    So they save system is just like in OoT?
    No, the only save was the Song of Time.

Quote Originally Posted by wingzrow View Post
    Japan did have owl statues, you just couldn't save at them.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    I couldnt rely on save states on project64 after too long since they disappear when you turn off your computer.
    Errrrr, no they don't. You must be running the emulator from a compressed archive or something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If those are the only two choices, clearly Ocarina. Great story, large area, takes considerable time to finish, good weapons and enemies to mess with, and you really can work at exploring.

Majora is a turd. Far shorter, a higher pressure game with the timer(which eventually you can to a point manipulate), you lose some bits of your work and effort each skip back in time, pressure to finish areas before the time expires, story isn't as interesting at all...it's just not fun and a lot of the masks are just a burden and uninteresting.