Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Majora's mask or Ocarina of time

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile Majora's mask or Ocarina of time

I am thinking what to download.Majora's mask or Ocarina of time.I dont really have a time to download those 2 so im thinking what's better to download.I want a game that is not for noobs but not for experts.I want a game for normal players and a little bit of action.Also please recommend me some games for n64

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oot, for sure.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OoT is one of my top 3 games of all time.

MM had me all stressed out about time constraints, I much prefer this game if you use an emulator and can do state saves. Theres no way Id play it without those. NO WAY! That said its really good and it being so different in more than just the time tables makes it worth playing. It has really cool graphics and art design too.

If youre gonna download, you might as well use Project64 on your computer. Theyre pretty small files.
    Last edited by IHatedSega; 02-01-2013 at 12:09 AM.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

... "Download?" Be a man and buy the actual carts! Or Minidisc... (Unless you mean "Download" as in like, for the Virtual Console or something)

Anyway, I'd say Ocarina is the better waste of your money. Majora's Mask was when the Zelda series stopped being good.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Majora's Mask has more personality and is a more interesting game, seeing as Ocarina of Time's concept is basically A Link to the Past rehashed, but it's sort of designed to be played following Ocarina of Time. It's not quite as cool if you can't catch the strange twists they put on the Ocarina of Time cast. I wouldn't recommend Majora's Mask without prior Ocarina of Time experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

These games use the same engine, and most of the same models, so really I find it unfair to not label them two halves of the same game.

They complement each other amazingly.

If I had to choose one though? Majora's mask was more difficult, had re-playable boss battles, and NPCs that mattered (they actually had stories & personality)

I think most of the reason was the game was more emotionally involving, so it left a larger mark on me.

Cherry (Level 1) Jack_Burton_BYOAC's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think you can really appreciate Major's Mask right without having played Ocarina of Time first. So much of that game depends on subverting your experiences from the previous one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to agree with some of the others here; Ocarina of Time is quite good, but Majora's Mask has much more personality because of all the details in the game, and how much more character driven it is. And personally, I think that game is better than Ocarina of Time, as well. But even though you can, I really don't think you should play it without having played Ocarina of Time first.

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Majora's Mask is better

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I'm actually a little shocked at all the votes for Majora's Mask. I was under the impression it was some sort of black sheep of the Zelda franchise because of the whole "three days" thing.

(That's why I could never get into it, anyway)

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Even though majora's mask is my favorite 3D zelda game of all time, I have to reccomend playing through OoT first. MM adds a lot to OoT but the three days limit doesn't really let you screw around with the world as much as you can in OoT and, while still anything but linear, makes you really consider what kind of side things you want to do and if you can do them in time.

Play OoT to be in it for the adventure. Play MM to be in it for the mission.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I'm actually a little shocked at all the votes for Majora's Mask. I was under the impression it was some sort of black sheep of the Zelda franchise
    The true black sheep are the three cd-i Zelda games.

As for my vote, I'm going to say neither. Why? Because someone had to do it. Actually, it's because I haven't played either yet. Thats kind of amusing considering I have both the complete US and Japanese N64 versions of each. I just haven't had time to play them. Stupid backlog.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

See, I think the time constraints ruin majora's mask. Having to redo every dungeon several times was more than I could take, and I gave up.

Oot is one of the best video games ever made, period. Regardless of the order in which you play them, just make sure that you do eventually put the time in for oot. You won't be sorry.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

OoT for sure here. I loved the hell out of that game. Bought Majora's mask and played it for maybe an hour and never played it again. Jus could not get into it for some reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The three day limit of Majora's Mask really isn't as restrictive as the naysayers make it out to be. From what I've seen, most people who harp on it either haven't played the game or played it so little that they never truly got to experience how it plays out. There is some repetition involved, but that usually entails doing things differently the second time around, as you keep what's important. It's a really interesting system, in actuality. Granted, the game does expect the player to be somewhat skilled at 3D Zelda, since it's assumed that the player already has played Ocarina of Time.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Okay, so here's a little bit of my opinion:

Ocarina of Time is a great game, no doubt about it. It's aged very well and is still fun to play through. However, I've always had a few problems with it. What stuck out most to me was the use of different songs to go to different places. This definitely sounds like a cool idea to begin with, but there's a reason why all future Zelda games had only one song you needed to learn. The dungeons are fun, though some you feel like that the difficulty is unbalanced or that they intended something all together.

Majora's Mask is my favorite of the two. It took everything good about the first game and left out most of the bad. It had less actual dungeons, so you spent more time doing side quests and things like that. But the dungeons it did have felt better designed to me than the ones in Ocarina of Time. You get used to the three day cycle rather quickly. The most important things about your progress, dungeon completion, non-numerical items, and rupees, stay with you when you go back in time. You do have to beat the boss of a dungeon if you want to say, clear up the poison in the swamp or finally bring spring to the mountains, but that just entails beating the boss again from a warp. I also liked the story and transformation mechanics of MM a lot.

Give them both a shot, I'd say. I prefer Wind Waker to both of them, but given a choice between these two, I'd personally pick MM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    The three day limit of Majora's Mask really isn't as restrictive as the naysayers make it out to be. From what I've seen, most people who harp on it either haven't played the game or played it so little that they never truly got to experience how it plays out. There is some repetition involved, but that usually entails doing things differently the second time around, as you keep what's important. It's a really interesting system, in actuality. Granted, the game does expect the player to be somewhat skilled at 3D Zelda, since it's assumed that the player already has played Ocarina of Time.
    There are dungeons where you have to kill or capture a certain number of creatures to progress. When the timer resets they are all back in their original positions and you have to do all that work over again.

In addition, I felt the time pressure punishes you for being thorough and exploring. If you can't get to the bank before three days are up, for example, you lose all your money. There were plenty of times where I was making good progress on something, then the timer resets. Gameplay is interrupted, forcing me to trek back to the dungeon I was at. In addition, if you want to save, you have to reset the timer and get warped back to the town. This means that if you want to get anywhere in the game you have to sit there for 1-2 hours. I can't always devote that kind of time to a game. Why can't I just save and restart at the entrance to the dungeon, like every other Zelda game since 1992?

The game has merits, and there are some interesting puzzles and things to explore (the stealth sequences are really cool and unique for a Zelda game, for instance), but I just felt all the good things were undone by a punitive game mechanic. The game gives you a rich, vast world to explore, then punishes you for taking the time to investigate it. Maybe there was something I didn't understand, but I put in about 10 hours before getting frustrated. Maybe I'll pull it out again and see if I can figure out what I was missing, because I know the game is well regarded.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The game definitely requires strategizing around the three-day cycle. If you play it as if it's not there, then, yeah, it's going to be a headache. You have to have a sense for "This is a good time to go back to day 1", if that makes sense. The game does reward thorough exploration and playing in small chunks, but you have to pick and choose when is appropriate to start each task.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

It doesn't punish you for exploring it. It punishes you trying to do too many things at once.

The best way to go through the game, I've found, is to have a plan. I always would do this whenever I wanted to progress:

1. Play the Inverted Song of Time at 6 AM Day 1 to give you the most amount of time possible
    2. Plan to do only one thing during the three day cycle (complete a dungeon, collect creatures, do other side quest)
    3. Get the thing that you were after, return to Clock Town
    4. Put rupees gained in bank, play Song of Time and return to step 1

You can actually get a lot of things done in a relatively short period of time, mainly because you know where everything is. The game has more strategy than any other Zelda game. It's all about when is the right time to slow, speed up, rewind, or skip in time.

If you use the songs to your advantage, the game becomes a lot more fun. Playing it like OoT will only cause frustration. And always, always, ALWAYS play the Inverted Song of Time ASAP. It is your friend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    The game definitely requires strategizing around the three-day cycle. If you play it as if it's not there, then, yeah, it's going to be a headache. You have to have a sense for "This is a good time to go back to day 1", if that makes sense. The game does reward thorough exploration and playing in small chunks, but you have to pick and choose when is appropriate to start each task.
    Fair enough. I just felt the cues weren't obvious for that. I'll have hook up my GameCube and try it again.