Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Super Nintendo Gems

I enjoyed reading about genesis gems here

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...8-Genesis-Gems

I wondered if anyone have an recommendations about SNES games

Just like the Genesis thread... I am interested in something unique, something not many have heard about but that I could find fairly easily.

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cheapest gems I can think of:

The Lawnmower Man - I picked mine up for $3 from a retail store. REALLY interesting gameplay soup of a run-n gun, first person flying, first person shooting, and hyperzone-esque spaceship shooting. Pretty solid, too.

DinoCity - Yes, I know JonTron reviewed it so it's not exactly obscure anymore. Still, really fun game that most still haven't heard of. Only ran me $6 in-store, but watch out as people have started to charge more for it ever since the JonTron episode became popular.

TinStar - Probably the best lightgun game on the SNES that doesn't require a lightgun. Sort of a parody of a sphagetti western with robot cowboys with many different styles of gameplay. My copy only ran me $4.

Bonkers - Why does everyone forget this game? It's a capcom disney game like tons of others and, imo, one of the best. It averages around $8-10 (I still need to nab a copy), and it's pretty short, but it's really quite a ride. The music is GODLY, by the way. Especially the "Luxurious Yacht" theme that I ended up turning into an entire lyricized song a while back.

Inspector Gadget - Ghosts N Goblins made love to Castlevania. Convinced yet? Averages around $7-8.

Those are the best cheap titles I can think of at the moment. There's plenty more that's good, but you did mention you want easy-to-find and obscure titles, and that usually overlaps with price.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are lots of interesting and lower profile commons on the SNES. A few that spring to mind:

Operation Logic Bomb - A sequel to the Game Boy smash hit Fortified Zone !! Quite an enjoyable overhead run 'n gun / exploration thing in a sci-fi setting.
    Plok - An enormously colourful and energetic platformer that offers quite a wicked challenge. This one appears to have gotten a bit more attention in recent years.
    Super Baseball Simulator 1.000 - The best and most interesting baseball game in the SNES library, I'd say, and as dirt cheap as you'd expect a sports title to be. Tons of fun to be had with the Ultra League teams and all their zany pitching & batting specials.
    Wild Snake - It's an interesting take on the falling block puzzler. Not the most refined or engaging puzzle game, but unique.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll second Tin Star. I picked up a complete copy for 6 back in Dec and found it to be refreshingly original.

Lawnmower Man? Eh, I don't have a very fond recollection of playing that game back when I was younger. We purchased it from a video store and ended up returning it. I was around 7 years old at the time and the box art creeped the hell out of me.

My nominees:

Sky Blazer
    X-Men Mutant Apocalypse
    Cold Shadow - One of the last great Disney games from that era. The animation is exquisite and the music is fantastic. I remember playing the Flying Duckman stage with the surround sound in the dead of the night and feeling absolutely haunted by the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojeb8d0NQbc

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll admit that lawnmower man isn't perfect, and way too hard, but I found it way more enjoyable now that I'm older and can stand the challenge. If the 3D stages are too hard, try the genesis port. It has more difficulty settings and lets you take hits in the normal flying stages instead of just the ones where you have to shoot things too.

(by the way, you can actually charge a shot ala megaman with either the A or shoulder buttons. I've known about the game for about 3 years and I only discovered that now.)

As for Cold Shadow, there's really two different versions of it: PC/Genesis and SNES. The PC one is a bit slower-paced and harder, and sounds a bit better overall. I'd reccomend that one more, but the SNES port isn't bad, even if it really takes liberties with the game's speed and level design.
    Last edited by recorderdude; 02-02-2013 at 02:55 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Demon's Crest, Twisted Tales of Spike McFang, Prehistorik Man, B.O.B., etc.

There's so much more to life on the SNES than Super Mario World and Super Metroid...

If you explore the Japanese SFC scene as well as the repro scene... man, there are just too many gems out there... from "Secret of Mana 2" to "DoReMi Fantasy" to "Terranigma" to... the list just goes on and on. <3 this system...

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Strawberry (Level 2) FrankSerpico's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Saturday Night SlamMasters can usually be had for 15 bucks or less and it's one of the better two player games on the console. Robotrek is a fun little rpg from Enix that is just about the cheapest rpg other than Lagoon that you can score for the SNES. If you like D fighters, I'd also recommend the SNES ports of Power Instinct and World Heroes 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If you like shmups, try Space Megaforce, a kind of pseudo-sequel to Blazing Lazers by Compile.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Plok! - Amazing color, difficult platformer

Skulljagger - not that bad of a platformer, interesting pirate theme

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Theres a version of Popful Mail on the SFC.
    The Great Circus Mystery starring Micky and Minnie is very fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Michael Jordan - Chaos in the Windy City. Only released on SNES and quite a gem at that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Wildguns
    Magical Pop'n
    Sunset Riders

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a few recommendations myself:

Tetris Attack

Clock Tower

Buster Busts Loose

Kendo Rage

Super Tennis

Strawberry (Level 2) starsoldier1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I been playing a few Snes games as of late and these are a few good ones I really liked despite being more uncommon titles:
    Legend of the Mystical Ninja http://youtu.be/IsbcjTYQO_U

Metal Combat http://youtu.be/HWpU7ArVVIc

Sparkster http://youtu.be/U7zVhpjqMhE

UN Squadron http://youtu.be/oA-NKGQMvSw

Wild Guns http://youtu.be/T8G99L76B20

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    I been playing a few Snes games as of late and these are a few good ones I really liked despite being more uncommon titles:
    Legend of the Mystical Ninja http://youtu.be/IsbcjTYQO_U

Metal Combat http://youtu.be/HWpU7ArVVIc

Sparkster http://youtu.be/U7zVhpjqMhE

UN Squadron http://youtu.be/oA-NKGQMvSw

Wild Guns http://youtu.be/T8G99L76B20

I almost listed UN Squadron above in my post, but felt like it maybe it's already pretty well known among gamers. But yeah, no question UN Squadron is awesome. It's pretty damn hard, but awesome.

Strawberry (Level 2) starsoldier1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I originally thought UN Squadron was pretty popular enough to not be considered obscure but then I remembered there was never really a sequel either. I also rarely see this game around my retro stores like it use to be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Namakubi86

I'm going to recommend games that are under the radar - so no Nintendo franchises or Square RPG's - but I'm also going to recommend games that aren't going to cost you an arm and a leg to own (so titles like Hagane, Wild Guns or Demon's Crest aren't going to pop up in my list) the SNES after-market has exploded in the last year or two, so these will all be games that are easily obtainable for under $20 each.

Name:  Super_Adventure_Island_Coverart.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  15.7 KB

Super Adventure Island - One of my favorite platformers on the system. Large sprites and colorful graphics, lots of level variety, a good difficulty balance (not nearly as hard as the NES original) and of course, Yuzo Koshiro's outstanding house / hip-hop / chill wave influenced soundtrack. It's worth checking out just for the music alone. It's currently available on Amazon used for less than ten bucks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bob.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	6267

B.O.B. - This is a neat little platform shooter starring a goofy looking teenage robot. If I had to compare it to anything, it plays similarly to the Turrican series crossed with Mega Man. Nice shaded style sprites give it something of an Amiga look. Lots of fun gadgets and different types of weapons to use on the adventure. It can be found used on Amazon right now for less than $5.

Name:  image.php.jpg
Size:  18.0 KB

Joe & Mac - I used to rent this game all the time from the local mom 'n pop video store in my neighborhood.A cartoony Contra-style run and gun starring two "cave dudes" who go around whacking dinosaurs and neanderthals to get their cave cuties back. Short, but fun the entire time, definitely worth playing two player with this one. Can be had used from Amazon for less than $15.

Name:  Congos-Caper-U.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  31.0 KB

Congo's Caper - pseudo prequel / spiritual successor to Joe & Mac. play as a little monkey kid who has to save his girlfriend. Super bright, colorful graphics and large areas to explore. Definitely worth the pick up on Amazon marketplace for six bucks.

Name:  412VwhidOhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  14.4 KB

Magic Sword - Faithful arcade port from Capcom. Play as a loinclothed warrior working his way up the tower of an evil sorcerer, and find allies of different fantasy role playing class-types to team up with that accompany you on the quest. While not a long game, it can be quite challenging. Worth it at less than ten bucks used.

I also echo the recommendations for Inspector Gadget and Skyblazer. Will return with more suggestions later!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Namakubi86

More cheap titles to check out!

Name:  true_lies_snes.JPG
Views: 42
Size:  11.4 KB

True Lies - surprisingly competent overhead shooter from, of all companies, LJN. Surprisingly faithful to the Arnold / Cameron flick. Hilariously bloody for such squat little sprite characters, a bit like Smash TV in that regard. Definitely worth the used price of under seven bucks on Amazon.

Name:	images 1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	6272

Cybernator / Assault Suits Valken - This one I was on the fence about including as it's nearly a bona-fide classic, but considering it's under ten bucks used, it's absolutely worth purchasing if it's not already in your collection. Fantastic mech action, huge bosses, great explosion effects, fantastic music, it's all good. Also blisteringly difficult, so be ready.

Name:	tmnttournamentfighters.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	6273

TMNT: Tournament Fighters - Yeah, it's a Street Fighter clone, but what a clone! Made by the same dev team at Konami that ported Turtles in Time to the SNES, it's got big, colorful Konami sprite work, and it's straight up great for some multiplayer fun with a few buddies, and some pizza and beer. Looks like it's just under $12 used on Amazon.

Name:	snes_operationlogicbomb_front.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	6274

Operation Logic Bomb - A pseudo-sequel to the game Fortified Zone on the Gameboy. Ball-bustingly hard top down action shooter with some minor stealth elements. Really good, overlooked little title. Also similar to The Ignition Factor, also from Jaleco. Can be own for around three to six dollars.

Hope these lists of overlooked / underrated and affordable SNES titles will tide some folks over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Namakubi View Post

Name:  Super_Adventure_Island_Coverart.jpg
Size:  15.7 KB

Super Adventure Island - One of my favorite platformers on the system. Large sprites and colorful graphics, lots of level variety, a good difficulty balance (not nearly as hard as the NES original) and of course, Yuzo Koshiro's outstanding house / hip-hop / chill wave influenced soundtrack. It's worth checking out just for the music alone. It's currently available on Amazon used for less than ten buck

Yeah, the music is really good, and probably the best stage in the game, musically, is the one where Master Higgins is swimming inside a whale. The music in that stage, reminds me of something....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Tecmo Super Bowl 3 Final Edition was the best football game on this system in my opinion. Thats my Gem.