Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Article says Gamestop to close 500-600 stores this year

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope they don't close the one closest to me. It's 30 miles away already. The nearest one after that is 50 miles away. Did I mention I hate living in the mountains?
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good I hope gamestop closes. Maybe then they would actually make an effort to retain customers. Quit gutting games and hire knowledgeable employees, overall be consistent. Why do some people have one gamestop they go to because all the others are bad or had bad experiences?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

"And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

As much as I hate gamestop, its bad news for the industry. A lot of bad stuff going on lately. THQ, Junction point, zipper interactive, etc. just release one bad game and they close. Nintendo not making profits??? Sony and microsoft too. Best buys closing stores. Something is wrong...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BricatSegaFan View Post
    Good I hope gamestop closes. Maybe then they would actually make an effort to retain customers. Quit gutting games and hire knowledgeable employees, overall be consistent. Why do some people have one gamestop they go to because all the others are bad or had bad experiences?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-brony-fluttershy-helps-everyone.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	6258.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    As much as I hate gamestop, its bad news for the industry. A lot of bad stuff going on lately. THQ, Junction point, zipper interactive, etc. just release one bad game and they close. Nintendo not making profits??? Sony and microsoft too. Best buys closing stores. Something is wrong...
    Only take a look at all the businesses projected to have massive store closings this year on my originally linked article to know the economy remains in the tank, despite what governmental leaders say. I always said that 'recession' was the wrong word to use in all the propaganda being spread by media and government agencies.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    Tired going out into the world and dealing with people and driving/walking/taking a bus to the store to buy your goods? Ya know one of the activities you humans do to maintain a healthy social lifestyle.

Hi there let me help you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1347917999-amazon.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	6259  

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

In all seriousness though I think them buying out EB games is what is the problem here. Most eb games turned into game stop and now there is more game stops then there is really needed in some areas like for instance in Burlington area vermont we have about 160,000 people to cater to. There is 3 game stops. I think we can deal with closing 1 of them.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Not to be a jerk about this, but this "article" is pure speculation. It's not like any of those retailers have even announced earnings for last year and while I have no doubt Best Buy and Gamestop are facing some financial issues as a result of the economy, both had pretty decent holiday sales. While I'm sure Best Buy and Gamestop may close stores this year, it's silly to speculate about it before anything is announced. In addition, didn't we just have a huge Gamestop bashing post this past week that had to be closed?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

Don't go away mad....just go away!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

iOS, Android and Amazon.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Collector_Gaming View Post
    In all seriousness though I think them buying out EB games is what is the problem here. Most eb games turned into game stop and now there is more game stops then there is really needed in some areas like for instance in Burlington area vermont we have about 160,000 people to cater to. There is 3 game stops. I think we can deal with closing 1 of them.
    That's the first thing I thought of too. Maybe GameStops are sparse in some areas, but everywhere I've ever been has had plenty of GameStops and could easily spare some. There's even a mall near me with two GameStops, one on the upper floor and one on the lower floor almost directly below it. It shouldn't take more than a couple minutes for anyone to get from one to the other, so it makes no sense.

Insert Coin (Level 0) danawhitaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    That's the first thing I thought of too. Maybe GameStops are sparse in some areas, but everywhere I've ever been has had plenty of GameStops and could easily spare some. There's even a mall near me with two GameStops, one on the upper floor and one on the lower floor almost directly below it. It shouldn't take more than a couple minutes for anyone to get from one to the other, so it makes no sense.
    Yeah, just near me I can think of five that would be within a reasonable driving distance. There's a few more that I'd only go to if I desperately needed something none of the others had - but they're still close enough I can say that I'd go. If they close any of them around here, I hope it would be the standalone one. I like the mall stores because it means that no matter which mall I'm going to for other shopping (some malls don't have the same stores as the others for my other shopping), I can always visit Gamestop.

For me, personally, they started to go downhill when they stopped dealing in older games. I liked being able to find older games without having to deal with thrift stores or eBay.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    beat_roc

Quote Originally Posted by retroguy View Post
    I hope they don't close the one closest to me. It's 30 miles away already. The nearest one after that is 50 miles away. Did I mention I hate living in the mountains?
    My closest one is over 100 miles away. That might be a good thing though haha, but I did travel there to get Xenoblade

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are several near me and closing one of two won't make much of a difference, except for the fact that I occasionally do work in some of them. So far the only one I know of that closed was Gamestop Kids but that was only suppose to be opened for the holidays anyway.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tired going out into the world and dealing with people and driving/walking/taking a bus to the store to buy your goods? Ya know one of the activities you humans do to maintain a healthy social lifestyle.

Hi there let me help you!
    Amazon.com rocks. You can find great prices for new and used games from their warehouse deals. Amazon and eBay are my go-to places. Newegg also has some good prices on games and they also sell on eBay. Let the games come to you and often far cheaper than retail or what you'd pay at Gamestop. Often there's no tax too and free shipping.

Insert Coin (Level 0) danawhitaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GhostDog View Post
    Amazon.com rocks. You can find great prices for new and used games from their warehouse deals. Amazon and eBay are my go-to places. Newegg also has some good prices on games and they also sell on eBay. Let the games come to you and often far cheaper than retail or what you'd pay at Gamestop. Often there's no tax too and free shipping.
    I do order new games off Amazon quite often. But when it comes to older used stuff, I really prefer to see the item in person first to check whether the disc or cartridge is in a condition I find acceptable. I will use eBay if I have to, but I got badly burned back in the Dreamcast days and I've never quite gotten over that. I ordered Samba de Amigo for Dreamcast - the sambas I received never worked properly, and the game was a pirated copy. Despite filing a dispute with eBay, I never got anything back, and the seller got away with it. And it was someone who'd had a 100% positive feedback and had quite a few sales.

When it comes to used games on Amazon, I see a lot of high shipping prices and a lot of sellers that don't seem to describe the item in enough detail. Maybe if you're buying in bulk the shipping pays off? Though I had a friend who contacted a seller on there about bundling a bunch of cheap games together to save on shipping and he got a flat-out "no" in response. I also see a lot of older games on there for ridiculous prices compared to eBay or Gamestop's used selection.

I love online shopping for anything new, don't get me wrong. But I just balk when it comes to used games, which is where Gamestop does well. At least when a used game or piece of equipment you buy there doesn't work, you can actually return it and not be hassled. With online shopping, you have to worry about shipping it back, and dealing with a seller who may just refuse to deal with it.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

It's nice to see a new Gamestop complaint thread posted, it's almost been a whole day since the last one was locked.

If the only way you can socialize is through shopping then there's something wrong with your social skills. You shouldn't have to get someone to talk to you as part of their job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Where did they pull 500-600 stores from when the actual forecast from the company was 200?

An awful lot of these are mall locations that have are having replacement locations opening up. They prefer stripmalls these days and even are building standalone stores frequently.

And if around here is any indication, they're still very much in an expansion stage rather than a retreat. We're just seeing a shift with how they like to conduct business away from malls that traditionally represented the majority of their retailer locations.