Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shin Megami Tensei series, help me out here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Shin Megami Tensei series, help me out here.

Okay, a couple things. A) I just bought a 3DS today. B) I've got a strange urge to play a JRPG franchise I've never played before. C) Shin Megami Tensei looks like a series a bit different then the norm.

What I know is that the Megami Tensei is a pretty long running series that only a small part has ever made its way to North America. The Persona series is a spin-off of it, a series I've never played or had any particular interest in playing.

I recall when Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey came out for the DS I was sort of interested in its themes, but I wasn't really playing games at the time so I sort of forgot about it. Now that I'm rummaging through the DS back catalog I'm wondering if I might have let it slip by. But here's the thing, there's a 3DS title coming out in the near future? Maybe several? Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers appears to be a remake of an earlier game coming out in the near future. Also there seems to be a couple of other DS games, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor, that might have a 3DS update with Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked?

I think Devil Summoner and Devil Survivor might be spin-offs of the the main series.

So I guess my question is, should I go back and give Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey a try? Or try this upcoming Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers game? Apparently there might be a 4th main Shin Megami Tensei title coming out for 3DS latter this year? Should I wait for that one?

Any advice, suggestions, or otherwise would be much appreciated.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Theyre really cool games. The overclocked version though isnt worth it if you have the normal game that its barely an update of. Definitely give Strange Journey a try. The Persona games are becoming more and more popular, but these other games dont deal with teen drama like those do. Theyre for the hardcore types of RPG players since they all can be really long and complex. I like to think of them as Pokemon for older people who like creepy weird themes. They even tried to cash in on the Pokemon craze with Devil Children.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    The overclocked version though isnt worth it if you have the normal game that its barely an update of.
    So if I'm reading this right... if I don't have the DS version, is the 3DS one worth getting.

Definitely give Strange Journey a try. The Persona games are becoming more and more popular, but these other games dont deal with teen drama like those do. Theyre for the hardcore types of RPG players since they all can be really long and complex.
    I've definitely gotten that impression based on what I've been reading. So that's good. I can dig it.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The DS version is cheaper by now so Id get that one.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Strange journey is awesome. Definitely check that out.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I'd say get Strange Journey and wait for Soul Hackers and SMT4 if you're interested in playing the series.

Also, Devil Summoner is a set of sub series of the SMT series, although they're not SMT. Just like SMT was slapped onto the Persona series until it became popular when rereleasing the series, the same thing happened with Devil Summoner Raidou Kuzunoha and Soul Hackers. Persona dropped the SMT name since it's now more popular than the base SMT series. Persona might be more popular, but I don't think it's better.

Atlus has SMT Nocturne on the printing press. Printing copies of this game like candy. I'd recommend playing this. It's not for the DS or 3DS, but get out your PS2 and play it. Best game in the series by far. One of the best games, period. http://www.amazon.com/Shin-Megami-Te...ensei+nocturne
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So are the plots connected in any of these games? Or are the spin-offs just thematically linked to the original series? Are core Shin Megami Tensei games direct sequels (plot wise) to each other?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The biggest connection is through the demons you encounter and try to have join you and you use them to make stronger demons. Each series is different, but if you learned how to play one game you will be familiar with themes. I havent played all the way through them since theyre pretty daunting to me, but the remade versions on the Super Famicom are worth playing if you can find a very easy to find english patched version online. The music is amazing.

Theres some videos about the series, but not like with Final Fantasy. Its not as well know so Im still trying to find good videos about the series.
    Last edited by IHatedSega; 02-04-2013 at 01:24 AM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    Useful.

Also brought to my attention how expensive some of these games are. Adding most of them to my 'keep an eye out for' list for general Flea Market diving.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you find any of these games at a flea market please tell me.

Oh yeah, Persona 4Arean is my favorite fighting game now, it has spoilers in it since it takes place 2 months after the ending of the game.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Also brought to my attention how expensive some of these games are. Adding most of them to my 'keep an eye out for' list for general Flea Market diving.
    They're not really expensive. Except for the first Devil Survivor and Raidou Kuzunoha, the ones post PS2 can be found less than $20 new.

In my previous post I didn't even think of mentioning Digital Devil Saga, which is another completely different series than SMT as well, but it's almost as good as SMT3 because it uses the press turn system and still has good gameplay. This one has no monster taming and whenever you learn your skills you keep them indefinitely but can only use eight at a time, so you can switch them out when not in combat whenever you want.

So checking on Amazon, SMT Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2, Devil Survivor 2, Strange Journey, Persona 3 FES and Portable, Persona 4, Persona PSP, and Persona Innocent Sin PSP are all less than $20.

Would you rather find them at the Flea Market for $10 or so with scratches on the disc based games or would you rather have them in brand new condition? There's no reason not to buy new because the games have never hit greatest hits status.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Insert Coin (Level 0) LordsOfSkulls's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    LordsOfSkulls
    PSN
    LordsOfSkulls

Some people said you shouldnt get 3DS version of Devil Survior , cause DS game is cheaper.... dont listen to them.

Get the 3DS Overclocked version for couple reasons, 1 the game is longer by having extra chapter then original DS game ended with sort of a cliff hanger, voice acting also the game will play better.

The SMT: Soul Hackers that coming out in april is a SMT game that was only released in Japan. So seeing this game finally coming to USA makes me look really forward of picking it up.

Strange Journey is worth picking it up, but Devil Survior 1 and 2 are alot better also find their story little bit more interesting.

Their only few games were the plot is connected.

For example Persona 2 Innocent and Eternal are connected. Devil Summoner 1 and 2. Digital Saga 1 and 2. Persona 3 and FES is connected, in Persona 4 u see some familer characters from Persona 3.
    Last edited by LordsOfSkulls; 02-07-2013 at 11:55 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers is a month away from North American release, and Shin Megami Tensei IV is a few months out from its Japan release, I figured I'd take a moment to post a bunch of gameplay trailers that have been released recently. Because... I'm getting seriously hyped.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers Gameplay Trailer (English)

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers Story Trailer (English)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Shin Megami Tensei IV 'FORCE' Gameplay Trailer

(wtf Demonica Armor at 3:32?!)

Shin Megami Tensei IV Field Gameplay Video

(Enemy Encounters appear to be non-random. HUZZAH!)

Shin Megami Tensei IV Field Character Dialog Gameplay Video

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And because I'm being generous, here are some teasers for the Devil Survivor 2 anime adaption, that is also coming soon (to Japan).

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dashopepper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Today I was at a local thrift store and bought DemiKids Dark Version for the GBA. I had no idea what it was but new the name Atlas from snowboard kids 2 Which I had purchased from the same thrift store about a month ago ($4). I had no idea it was a SMT spin off until I got home and was looking it up on the Internet. So is it worth a play? Or what else is a better game to introduce me to the various series?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I started several games, they really interest me, but I cant stick with them long, because of how long they are. I need cheat coeds, if thats even possible with these games.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dashopepper View Post
    Today I was at a local thrift store and bought DemiKids Dark Version for the GBA. I had no idea what it was but new the name Atlas from snowboard kids 2 Which I had purchased from the same thrift store about a month ago ($4). I had no idea it was a SMT spin off until I got home and was looking it up on the Internet. So is it worth a play? Or what else is a better game to introduce me to the various series?
    If you want a true MegaTen experience, go with Nocturne. It's still the only game in the main series to receive an official English release (well, Strange Journey is kind of in the main series, but it isn't numbered), and it's an amazing game. If you'd prefer something a little more modern and mainstream (Nocturne can be pretty brutal and it's rather old school), just about everybody loves Persona 3 and 4.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

So here's a question, of the PS2 releases, what's one i should definitely try to play (including the Perona series)?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)