Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Mario Family Tree Infographic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Super Mario Family Tree Infographic

Hey!

I created an infographic that displays the majority of Mario's in-game sprites from 1981-1996 (excluding some ports and games where they obviously used the same sprite).

Would love to hear the community's thoughts on it! http://www.retronick.com/mario-family-tree-v-1/
    Last edited by Retronick; 02-04-2013 at 10:01 AM.
    Dig it old-school?
    Visit http://www.retronick.com
    or follow me on twitter: @Retron8

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very cool! You should do one for the Legend Of Zelda series.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retroguy View Post
    Very cool! You should do one for the Legend Of Zelda series.
    Thanks! I was thinking of doing a Sonic the Hedgehog one too.
    Dig it old-school?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Very nice and well laid out. The only thing I might change is the color of the info boxes. I do not like that teal color. I was thinking maybe a soft gold or yellow. That may stand out too much but the teal just isnt the best. Maybe even green.

Other than that nit-picky suggestion, the thing is bad ass! You did a great job and should be proud!

Name:  example.png
Views: 87
Size:  10.3 KB

I am not an artist, but this is kinda what I was trying to describe to you.
    Last edited by MachineGex; 02-04-2013 at 11:54 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    Very nice and well laid out. The only thing I might change is the color of the info boxes. I do not like that teal color. I was thinking maybe a soft gold or yellow. That may stand out too much but the teal just isnt the best. Maybe even green.

Other than that nit-picky suggestion, the thing is bad ass! You did a great job and should be proud!
    Thank you! I'm not a huge fan of the teal either. Went with it because it's the same style as the HUD and some of the dialogue boxes from Super Mario Bros. 3. Going to take a different approach with part 2 I think.

Thanks again!
    Dig it old-school?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's awesome. It's full of creativity. Good job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post

Name:  example.png
Views: 87
Size:  10.3 KB

I am not an artist, but this is kinda what I was trying to describe to you.
    That's a good look for them actually. It would mess with the image map on this one, but I'd be willing to give it that sort of treatment for the next one.

Thanks!
    Dig it old-school?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

For some very odd reason, I had not seen the connection between The Wizard and Tommy until now. So, how about that: something new!

Is there a Youtube video of Mario in NES Tetris? I was not aware of an appearance there.

I don't see F1 Race GB and Game Boy Tetris, but I guess those count as ports.

I was going to suggest Wrecking Crew 98, but that would be out of bounds.
    Last edited by Jorpho; 02-04-2013 at 09:58 PM.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    For some very odd reason, I had not seen the connection between The Wizard and Tommy until now. So, how about that: something new!

Is there a Youtube video of Mario in NES Tetris? I was not aware of an appearance there.

I don't see F1 Race GB and Game Boy Tetris, but I guess those count as ports.

I was going to suggest Wrecking Crew 98, but that would be out of bounds.
    There are many obscure Mario games he didn't add, but I think it would be a little bit much. Mario Teaches Typing 2, and a bunch of other PC games could be added.

Superb job Retronick!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    There are many obscure Mario games he didn't add, but I think it would be a little bit much. Mario Teaches Typing 2, and a bunch of other PC games could be added.

Superb job Retronick!
    Thanks for the kudos!

I'm considering doing a revamped version of this one with some of his port appearances (like his appearance on the Game Boy version of Tetris for example). Since Wrecking Crew '98 and "Teaches Typing 2" are from 1998 and 1997 respectively, they won't be appearing until the next graphic that deals with the post Super Mario 64 world. I also didn't do unlicensed stuff (Mario Bros. 2 on the Commodore), or unreleased stuff (Super Mario's Whacky Worlds). You'll also notice cameos where he's sort of an inanimate prop or it's just his visage on a billboard, or he isn't a free-standing sprite (Sim City, Stunt Race FX, and Kirby Super Star).

Thanks for the kudos! If anyone can get me the sprites for his Game Boy Tetris appearance or some other more obscure stuff (not counting his unofficial appearance in Astal as part of the code), I will stockpile it and throw it into v.1.2.

Thanks again!
    Dig it old-school?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

He was the pilot in Alleyway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome work!!! Thank you.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Fantastic work! Love it!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Superb job Retronick!
    Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    He was the pilot in Alleyway
    You are absolutely right! I even have a sprite of him from that game. Unfortunately, after my fifth attempt at nailing the layout, and discovering that I had indeed forgotten Alleyway, I elected to add it to the list of omissions at the bottom. If I can get sprites from 2 more games (like the sprites of Mario from the Game Boy version of Tetris or him as the pitcher in Baseball), I'll throw the sprites from Alleyway in there.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback! I will be revamping this some time in the future.
    Dig it old-school?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by Retronick View Post
    Thanks for the kudos!

I'm considering doing a revamped version of this one with some of his port appearances (like his appearance on the Game Boy version of Tetris for example). Since Wrecking Crew '98 and "Teaches Typing 2" are from 1998 and 1997 respectively, they won't be appearing until the next graphic that deals with the post Super Mario 64 world. I also didn't do unlicensed stuff (Mario Bros. 2 on the Commodore), or unreleased stuff (Super Mario's Whacky Worlds). You'll also notice cameos where he's sort of an inanimate prop or it's just his visage on a billboard, or he isn't a free-standing sprite (Sim City, Stunt Race FX, and Kirby Super Star).

Thanks for the kudos! If anyone can get me the sprites for his Game Boy Tetris appearance or some other more obscure stuff (not counting his unofficial appearance in Astal as part of the code), I will stockpile it and throw it into v.1.2.

Thanks again!
    Mario Teaches Typing 2 was released October 31, 1996, but that's okay. You can add it to the 3D list from 1996-Present?

There is a great site to look up Mario info and games here. I've been visiting that site since the 90's. http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/games/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Mario Teaches Typing 2 was released October 31, 1996, but that's okay. You can add it to the 3D list from 1996-Present?

There is a great site to look up Mario info and games here. I've been visiting that site since the 90's. http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/games/
    Thanks!

Believe it or not, the source of my info had it as '97, but you're right! Ah well. Since it's still technically after Mario 64 (if only by a month), I guess it still works. I might add it into ver 1.2 when if I get around to updating this one.

Good catch!
    Dig it old-school?

Peach (Level 3) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Super Mario Family Tree Infographic

Wow! Great work!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Errata:

Bandai had no part in the Satellaview.

Super Scope 6 Lazerblazer and QIX were not on the NES.

How could the 1990 World Championships have inspired a 1989 movie? Also the Wizard is 6 parts Tommy and 4 parts Rain Man.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

So, Nick, did you debate including the original Famicom/NES Golf since it's often debated whether or not the player character is actually Mario? I think that the academic answer is that it's not officially Mario, but it's obviously an in-house produced game that for some reason used the character as visual inspiration.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 02-05-2013 at 06:41 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ccovell View Post
    Errata:

Bandai had no part in the Satellaview.

Super Scope 6 Lazerblazer and QIX were not on the NES.

How could the 1990 World Championships have inspired a 1989 movie? Also the Wizard is 6 parts Tommy and 4 parts Rain Man.
    Let me tackle these one at a time:

You're right, Bandai had no part in the Satellaview. Turns out that is a common mis-interpretation of English speakers. I hadn't even heard of it before tackling this project, so you can understand my error.

You're right. Super Scope Six and Qix were on the SNES and Game Boy respectively. Those are what we call typos. Fixing them won't be an issue.

As for this last one, the story is true, but they were not (as you have so diligently pointed out), the Nintendo World Championships. They were other Nintendo video game competitions of the time (if the wikipedia article is to be believed). See this excerpt:

During 1988, a shortage of ROM chips, along with Nintendo of America's preparation of a version of Super Mario Bros. 2 for Western gamers (since the Japanese SMB2 was deemed too difficult), prevented Nintendo from releasing SMB3 and some other games (including, according to the magazine "Nintendo Power", "Zelda II: The Adventure of Link") in North America on schedule.[15] The delay, however, presented Nintendo with an opportunity to promote the game in a feature film. In 1989, Tom Pollack of Universal Studios approached Nintendo of America's marketing department about a video game movie; inspired by Nintendo video game competitions, Pollack envisioned a video game version of Tommy for younger audiences. Nintendo licensed its products for inclusion in what would become the film The Wizard. During the movie's production, the filmmakers requested and were granted approval from Nintendo regarding the script and portrayal of the company's games.[16] Super Mario Bros. 3 was one of the products shown in the film, and was used in a final scene involving a video game competition.[16][17] The film was released in December 1989, a few months before the game was released.[18]

The fun facts (while planned for inclusion from the beginning), were crammed in last minute, hence the error. Thanks for you sharp eye! Perhaps one day I'll have as motivated a team of editors as you to help, instead of tackling this in my free time by myself.
    Dig it old-school?