Thread: What to do on a trade I know isn't fair?

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What to do on a trade I know isn't fair?

I'm trading a few games with a friend. He wanted a bunch of commons (doubles I had from lots mostly) for a few moderate-rares initially as he wants to try to start gameselling and knows a ton of cheap wanted games (like sonics, etc) move faster than a few expensive ones that aren't so wanted, and the deal was about fair. However, he soon threw in a few others that really unbalanced the deal on his side and asked for LESS games from me. All he asked for in place of about ten commons was a half-decent headset to do game commentaries with. Normally, I'd just go for it with no worries, but he is a friend of mine and bad deals can ruin friendships; I see it happen far too often. I agreed to the deal of course, but I feel pretty horrible about it even though he's fully aware of the values of the games he's giving me and I specifically told him that the titles I'm giving him aren't worth a lot.

What can I do to balance this out and not feel horrid about myself?

EDIT: I think I've found a way to level the playing field at least a little, but if anyone thinks of something they'd like to mention, I'll hear it out.
    Last edited by recorderdude; 02-05-2013 at 12:18 AM.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Well I'd just leave the original trade on the table. Let him take what was agreed upon before and call it a day. It may not balance the whole thing out, but If he's happy taking what was on the table then you've at least given it a mostly fair shake.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If he wants to get into game selling you might want to do him a solid and point out his mistake at the last moment to get him some wisdom in putting together a good deal.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

A good trade is one both parties are happy with. Sounds like the case here. You were very clear on value and your friend was still fine with it.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I'd say your fine. If you're really that worried, toss him a couple commons for free later on outside of the deal. One of those "eh, I don't really need these, so you can take them." If he knows what its worth, I wouldn't stress about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess it'll be allright, then.

I did offer to do a quick art commision for him as part of the trade to help even it out. I figure that way he's getting something else that, while not in possession of an exact value, he'll enjoy equivalent to the enjoyment I'll get out of what he's trading me.

...I think it's ME that wasn't happy with the trade since I'm too darned much of a nice guy :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by recorderdude View Post
    I'm trading a few games with a friend. He wanted a bunch of commons (doubles I had from lots mostly) for a few moderate-rares initially as he wants to try to start gameselling and knows a ton of cheap wanted games (like sonics, etc) move faster than a few expensive ones that aren't so wanted, and the deal was about fair. However, he soon threw in a few others that really unbalanced the deal on his side and asked for LESS games from me. All he asked for in place of about ten commons was a half-decent headset to do game commentaries with. Normally, I'd just go for it with no worries, but he is a friend of mine and bad deals can ruin friendships; I see it happen far too often. I agreed to the deal of course, but I feel pretty horrible about it even though he's fully aware of the values of the games he's giving me and I specifically told him that the titles I'm giving him aren't worth a lot.

What can I do to balance this out and not feel horrid about myself?

EDIT: I think I've found a way to level the playing field at least a little, but if anyone thinks of something they'd like to mention, I'll hear it out.

Does he really know the values of what he's giving up and what he's getting in exchange? If he's really a friend and if you're going to feel guilty about it then tell him exactly what you just told us. If he still wants to go on with the trade then that's his decision and you shouldn't have a guilty conscious any more

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

okay, so I talked with him again and he's perfectly fine with the deal even though I explained everything yet again. He's really excited about the commision I suggested so I guess that balances it out for him

I'll let yall know when everything goes through.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SlowGolf2004
    PSN
    ownerizer
    Steam
    WDENNIS5280

I agree that a fair trade is one both parties are happy with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It is not about the value of the items, but the value someone places in the items.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SlowGolf2004
    PSN
    ownerizer
    Steam
    WDENNIS5280

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    It is not about the value of the items, but the value someone places in the items.
    Think about the trade this way, what you're doing with your friend is the exact opposite of the MASSIVE INFLATION right now seen on CL, eBay and other sites. This is your ray of sunshine and one day your friend will need his. When he does, be there for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if after explaining the unbalanced trade and he still wants to do it go for it. next deal pile on extras. sometimes you get more for less and sometimes you get less for what you have. if its a friend you deal with alot it will balance out in the end.
    Current Collection Stats As Of 12/10/2013 : Cartridges - 206 ( 182 unique titles 24 label variations ) : Cassettes - 21 :

Currently in the market for :

+ Atari 8 bit game cartridges ( all brands and most titles )
    + Atari 8 Bit Prototype and Demo cartridges
    + Atari 8 bit manuals and boxes

PM me if you see anything above that you have doubles or interest in getting rid of.

Check out my
    Atari 8-Bit Museum Site at http://www.a8museum.com
    Atari 8-Bit Museum on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/groups/392317377550512/
    And on Ebay under the handle ThePaperVault

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually did throw in a bit already: offered to get him any game under $6 on amazon and he really wanted a copy of jak and daxter on the PS2, so he's getting that as well. Not worth a whole lot, but hey, when you forget games are supposed to be played and enjoyed, too, you stop being a gamer. Also, he loved the headset I ordered for him so I don't really feel ill about the whole thing at all anymore.

In the end, he's getting:

New headset
    Sonic 1 (GG)
    Sonic 2 (GG)
    Sonic Chaos (GG)
    Shinobi III (GEN)
    Jak and Daxter (PS2)

and a song commision for his youtube channel.

Sorta don't wanna say what I got here till it arrives in the mail since DP <3 Pictures and it'll be a better reveal that way, but he's already sent it out a few days ago so it is coming.

EDIT: posted resuts in feb finds thread.
    Last edited by recorderdude; 02-22-2013 at 12:46 PM.