Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Edge reports durango to block used games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Edge reports durango to block used games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://kotaku.com/5982097/report-the...s?popular=true

A new Edge report suggests that Microsoft's next Xbox gaming console, code-named Durango, will require an Internet connection to use. It also won't be able to play used games, Edge says.

We have not been able to confirm the veracity of this new report, which claims that Durango discs will ship with one-time-use activation codes that render them irrelevant to anyone but the person who first uses them.

Edge also says that the next Xbox will use Blu-ray discs, ship with a new version of Kinect, and hold an AMD eight-core CPU that runs at 1.6GHz and 8 gigabytes of DDR3 RAM.

Early last year, Kotaku reported that the next Xbox will use Blu-ray discs, ship with Kinect 2.0, and contain some sort of anti-used game protection.
    http://www.edge-online.com/news/the-...nd-new-kinect/

Microsoft’s next console will require an Internet connection in order to function, ruling out a second-hand game market for the platform. A new iteration of Xbox Live will be an integral part of Microsoft’s next console, while improved Kinect hardware will also ship alongside the unit.

Sources with first-hand experience of Microsoft’s next generation console have told us that although the next Xbox will be absolutely committed to online functionality, games will still be made available to purchase in physical form. Next Xbox games will be manufactured on 50GB-capacity Blu-ray discs, Microsoft having conceded defeat to Sony following its ill-fated backing of the HD-DVD format. It is believed that games purchased on disc will ship with activation codes, and will have no value beyond the initial user.

Our source has also confirmed that the next Xbox’s recently rumoured specs are entirely accurate. That means an AMD eight-core x64 1.6GHz CPU, a D3D11.x 800MHz graphics solution and 8GB of DDR3 RAM. As of now, the console’s hard drive capacity is said to be undecided, but Microsoft’s extended commitment to online delivery suggests that it will be the largest unit it has put inside a console to date.

Though the architectures of the next-gen Xbox and PlayStation both resemble that of PCs, several development sources have told us that Sony’s solution is preferable when it comes to leveraging power. Studios working with the next-gen Xbox are currently being forced to work with only approved development libraries, while Sony is encouraging coders to get closer to the metal of its box. Furthermore, the operating system overhead of Microsoft’s next console is more oppressive than Sony’s equivalent, giving the PlayStation-badged unit another advantage.

Unlike Nintendo, Microsoft is continuing to invest heavily in motion-control interfaces, and a new, more reliably responsive Kinect will also ship alongside the next Xbox. Sony’s next-generation console camera system is said to have a similar set of features, and is expected to be discussed at the company’s PlayStation event on February 20.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As someone who has been using Steam for nearly 10 years to buy new games, nor makes a habit of trading games in, I don't really see a particular problem with this. What all this anti-used game trend seems to be geared to is pushing players to buying digital downloads over physical media. Because undoubtedly the NEXT general will be discless. So you better get used to it.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    As someone who has been using Steam for nearly 10 years to buy new games, nor makes a habit of trading games in, I don't really see a particular problem with this. What all this anti-used game trend seems to be geared to is pushing players to buying digital downloads over physical media. Because undoubtedly the NEXT general will be discless. So you better get used to it.
    And then they can price gouge us by selling us system-locked hard drives instead of letting us use our own (which the PS3 does... even if it has all that stupid DRM on it.) AND price gouge us on game downloads too since there won't be any competition or chances for clearance sales.

Congratulations, I am now a PC gamer for life. You'll take away my used games, but you'll never take away my DRM Free game purchases and cracks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not trying to troll, but I told you so. WiiU FTW!
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retroguy View Post
    Ive been expecting this whole time the Wii U would be the next console Id buy.

Im against cloud gaming as the future. This antisecond hand gaming is nothing but greed, stupid blind greed. You can say "Well, the people who bought our games used didnt matter anyway", but your games would be more popular if MORE PEOPLE PLAYED THEM. People buy used because they simply cant afford $60 for one game. For you to say "either buy or game at the price we want, or dont play our game at all." Is so stupid and people will simply choose another product over yours.

This is definitely going to lead to gaming being less popular if Sony also implements its patents to also stop second hand games being played on the PS4.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retroguy View Post
    I have a WiiU and I'll be honest and say I haven't played it since Christmas. The game selection is poor and third party support is virtually non-existent. I'm hopeful that better games will come out in the future, but for now I'm not sure how anyone could be a strong advocate for the platform.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Third Parties are going to have to go to the Wii U if they want their games to be sold. This thing single handedly kills the Durango. Besides Bayonetta 2 is coming out soon. :D

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    Ive been expecting this whole time the Wii U would be the next console Id buy.

Im against cloud gaming as the future. This antisecond hand gaming is nothing but greed, stupid blind greed. You can say "Well, the people who bought our games used didnt matter anyway", but your games would be more popular if MORE PEOPLE PLAYED THEM. People buy used because they simply cant afford $60 for one game. For you to say "either buy or game at the price we want, or dont play our game at all." Is so stupid and people will simply choose another product over yours.

This is definitely going to lead to gaming being less popular if Sony also implements its patents to also stop second hand games being played on the PS4.
    As noted in all of the other threads about these rumors, people are already paying $55 or so for used games from Gamestop, so asking people to pay the full $60 is not really that much of a stretch. That doesn't even include all the sales and discounts that retailers apply on a regular basis which results in many games selling well below $60. Publishers can also adjust MSRPs and respond quickly to sales numbers and set prices accordingly, especially if they are getting 100% of revenue instead of losing a significant portion to use sales. The reality is that unless something changes fundamentally in the business model, console gaming is not something that can survive long-term, especially in the face of more and more powerful mobile and set-top devices with massive libraries of cheap games.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Third Parties are going to have to go to the Wii U if they want their games to be sold. This thing single handedly kills the Durango. Besides Bayonetta 2 is coming out soon.
    Not gonna happen. If sales collapse on the next Xbox and Playstation, publishers will simply move to other platforms like mobile, iOS and PC where there are massive user bases. Bayonetta was a great game, but it won't move hardware in the United States.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I have a WiiU and I'll be honest and say I haven't played it since Christmas. The game selection is poor and third party support is virtually non-existent. I'm hopeful that better games will come out in the future, but for now I'm not sure how anyone could be a strong advocate for the platform.
    Well, even though I'm a huge Nintendo fan, I was skeptical of it at first. But when I tried Nintendo Land at my sister's house and saw how the gamepad could be used for entirely fresh takes on old gameplay concepts, as well as having the potential for brand new concepts that haven't been thought of yet, I was seriously impressed. If the purpose of that game was to sell people on the system, it worked. And seeing videos of ZombiU and New Super Mario Bros U makes me want one even more. I'm hoping I'll be able to save up and get one for my birthday, but time will tell.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not gonna happen. If sales collapse on the next Xbox and Playstation, publishers will simply move to other platforms like mobile, iOS and PC where there are massive user bases. Bayonetta was a great game, but it won't move hardware in the United States.
    So, a console game company will stop making console games rather than try making them on a different console? Im sorry, but I dont see how mobile gaming will take over the console gaming market. Its different.

I just cant see Street Fighter 5 or Final Fantasy 15 or GTA 6 being released for an Iphone.
    Last edited by IHatedSega; 02-06-2013 at 02:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, anyone who buys this is LITERALLY the cancer killing video games if these rumors are true. I only own an XBOX 360 for the better versions of Bayonetta & Ashura's Wrath, and I never even go online with the thing. I don't even like the 360, and buying their next system looks like it would be the biggest case of buyer's remorse of all time for me if I wasn't informed about this sort of thing beforehand.

You bought your system WAY too early. Just like with the DS & 3DS, the system launch and lineups start slow, but usually build up steam a year or two after the system launches. There's a lot to be excited for, but clearly owning one right now is not the time. This list may not seem like much, but I would wait until E3 to see what the system really has to offer.

UPCOMING WII U EXCLUSIVES

Bayonetta 2
    wonderful 101
    new xenoblade sequel
    Shin Megami tensei x fire emblem
    Dragon Quest X
    New mario kart
    New 3d Mario
    Pikmin 3
    Monster Hunter
    Super Smash Bros sequel
    Legend of Zelda Wind Waker HD remake (upscaled port, but whatever)
    New Legend of Zelda game
    Game and Wario
    Rayman Legends
    New Yoshi Game
    Last edited by wingzrow; 02-06-2013 at 03:10 PM.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

...this shit again.

Have fun kids.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If it happens then it happens. We'll see how it plays out. What is it, like the 50th time a rumor like this has circled? At this point I kind of wish it'll just happen so we can see the actual results.

Digital distribution isn't so much a bad thing (in fact, it can be extremely good) as it is highly dependent on just a couple of variables to maintain equilibrium, unlike physical media which has at least a few more elements protecting the institution from total collapse. Steam managed to strike a great balance, successfully managing convenient distribution along with customer satisfaction and should probably be the model for future endeavors.

It's just that digital distribution can suffer in ways physical media can't. No matter how many roms a person downloads, they'll never own the cartridge (barring advancements in 3D printing, at least). There's at least a psychological benefit that comes from real ownership preventing everyone from becoming pirates. You don't want to get to the point where people start to feel that paying for something doesn't net them any gain over outright piracy, which generally doesn't repel people as the idea of physical theft might. If your $60 game gets you exactly the same thing as my free game, well, it's a tough sell once the digital locks in place are inevitably circumvented and the five finger discount is anonymously available at the push of a button.

What's worse is if people have a reason to feel like piracy is the better option for more than just financial reasons. Then there's going to be hell to pay in the long run. Continuing with physical media at the very least maintains the status quo which can prevent the formation of united efforts to undermine the system due to outrage, justified or not. Ex: the PS3 probably wouldn't be nearly as compromised if not for the OtherOS debacle. And at least with physical media there are other forces at play which keep your average PR nightmare from leading to mass thievery. If there's something about the infrastructure that's off-putting in just the right (wrong?) way to cause the pot to boil over, it'll become a free for all. Righteous indignation is one of the most powerful human emotions. Entire governments have fallen to it.

I think that's the real flaw of digital distribution. As good as it can be, it's also extremely volatile. And the mere delivery method is unlikely to increase or decrease consumer activity in any meaningful way. The fantasy publishers seem to have is that it's a panacea to their revenue woes when it's really a game of whack-a-mole. They see a problem and they blame used games so they "cure" that. But it's not going to solve much of anything because tomorrow they'll have the same problem and they'll try a different cure. And so on. To me, digital distribution is no better or worse. It's just different, with its own benefits and flaws.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 02-06-2013 at 03:25 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I've said it once and I'll say it again. If this anti-used game crap comes to pass, I'll be switching to 100% piracy (up from my current 50%).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

o hai, not buying the next Xbox then. Simple as that. :P

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

So, a console game company will stop making console games rather than try making them on a different console? Im sorry, but I dont see how mobile gaming will take over the console gaming market. Its different.

I just cant see Street Fighter 5 or Final Fantasy 15 or GTA 6 being released for an Iphone.
    With hardware extremely rapidly on smart devices catching up to consoles. I'd give it 4 years and i bet it will be right on par with consoles and then screaming ahead.

The whole idea of buying a physical copy of a game and not being able to share it or anything like that is just pointless. If the console requires online capabilities and one time use discs. then might as well make it download only which at that point you are basically gonna feel like you got a dumbed down gaming pc. I might actually skip this generation of consoles. None of it tickles my fancy at all.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Collector_Gaming View Post
    The whole idea of buying a physical copy of a game and not being able to share it or anything like that is just pointless. If the console requires online capabilities and one time use discs. then might as well make it download only which at that point you are basically gonna feel like you got a dumbed down gaming pc.
    Assuming this is all actually true, then it is effectively download only. The existence of the discs would just be a means of conserving HDD space. I'd assume under these conditions every game would be offered digitally for those who'd rather go that route.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    I've said it once and I'll say it again. If this anti-used game crap comes to pass, I'll be switching to 100% piracy (up from my current 50%).
    So, essentially the videogame companies are losing a customer they never really had.
    Don't go away mad....just go away!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    Also congrats on being part of the problem.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12