Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Edge reports durango to block used games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Insert Coin (Level 0) danawhitaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    I kinda dont see it as a crazy risk making a console not able to not play used games. I think nintendo microsoft and sony are all tired of getting their profits raped by gamestop. If good games are made for the ps4 and they are reasonably priced people will definitly buy them. I know there are other places to buy used games, but I think many consumers only have the choice of getting video games new or used from local retailers, so they always end up at gamestop.
    The one risk I see is what happens when a game's been on the market for a year or two, and you can't *find* new copies anywhere. Then you're forced to go the Gamestop route. If Microsoft theoretically does this, that means that publishers will have to keep up the supply of games or people won't be able to find them at all. And while I know they don't directly make money off the second-hand sales, they might still end up losing out on potential revenue from DLC purchases as well as just making consumers frustrated at not being able to find what they're looking for.

I've sometimes wondered if that hasn't driven used sales a bit. When I'm buying games for my daughter, I always try to buy new games because they're usually gifts. But occasionally I've run into titles that have been out for several years that I wanted to buy her that I couldn't find new anywhere local. I could sometimes order online, but I couldn't find a new copy in stores to save my life. Perhaps they'd do a better job of this under the locked-to-console model.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by danawhitaker View Post
    The one risk I see is what happens when a game's been on the market for a year or two, and you can't *find* new copies anywhere.
    I would agree with this in the case that you would need a disc to play, as opposed to downloading all the content from the playstation network. I think eventually there will be no media and the content will all just be transferred online and bought from the playstation network. I think this would eliminate the need to go out looking for older games. The current library of games currently on the playstation network is pretty big, and over time the older stuff gets cheaper (so many really good cheap ps1 titles for example), and they often have sales. They dont remove the older titles from sale so nothing becomes rare or unavailable, just cheaper.

Insert Coin (Level 0) danawhitaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    I would agree with this in the case that you would need a disc to play, as opposed to downloading all the content from the playstation network. I think eventually there will be no media and the content will all just be transferred online and bought from the playstation network. I think this would eliminate the need to go out looking for older games. The current library of games currently on the playstation network is pretty big, and over time the older stuff gets cheaper (so many really good cheap ps1 titles for example), and they often have sales. They dont remove the older titles from sale so nothing becomes rare or unavailable, just cheaper.
    Yeah, some of us still prefer purchasing physical media though. I love technology, but I have yet to embrace digital content. Blizzard games are my only exception to this, and that was to negate standing in line on launch night so I could play with my guild immediately when the expansions went live for WoW. Developers have already said that this generation won't be fully digital, so I may have to worry about that a generation or two from now. But not yet.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    The watermark and the online requirement seem kind of redundant. If you're signed in to your account, and the game is authorized to it, what does it matter if the watermark matches?
    Not really. In theory, games would be released long after a particular piece of hardware was in the field, so the watermark database would continue to be updated and the console or user would have to log in at some point so the check could be performed. Similarly, the authorization probably won't happen at the point of sale, so there would have to be some type of on-line authentication check in case pirates figured out a way to override the security or there was some kind of glitch in the watermarking and a change had to me made.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zthun View Post
    I'm seriously doubting that Microsoft will go this route in the end; especially after Sony announced that the PS4 will play used games.

In order for this to work, all major console makers will have to do it. If only Microsoft does it, it will be suicide for their next gen system. With the amount of consoles coming out next generation, Microsoft has too much competition to be taking crazy risks like this.
    Thats what I'm thinking. Of course the technology is already in place if Microsoft or Sony wanted to go this route(even on today's consoles) but I don't see that happening. I could be wrong but I don't think thats a gamble Microsoft wants to take. Maybe if they had been number one worldwide I could see them being that...arrogant, for lack of a better word. But they are only dominating the US and parts of Europe so it's not like they are the one system to rule them all. And they will have a difficult time achieving that status if they start doing stuff like blocking used games. But we'll find out the truth in a few months when they make their official announcements.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by danawhitaker View Post
    Yeah, some of us still prefer purchasing physical media though.
    I understand this and I think alot of people feel this way. Its ultimatly up to sony to create a product that you want to buy. Here is an example of how I think digital downloads CAN BE (not nessecarily ARE, though) better than buying media on disc. Both me and my brother wanted to get Marvel v Capcom Origins so we could play together online. Its a 15$ download in the playstation store. The game was not released on disc because its probably not finacially feasable and/or there is just not a big enough audience. Also, because you can share your account with one other user, we were able to split the cost and share the download, so it cost us both 7.50$ each, and we both can play it all we want. If we needed the disc we would have each had to buy our own hard copy, which also would have cost more due to packaging costs.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Words iManifest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Edited...Sorry, had a few windows open and replied in the wrong topic and not sure how to delete.
    Last edited by Words iManifest; 02-27-2013 at 12:51 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I personally have zero problems with used games being a thing of the past.

At the start of this gen I was really hesitant about buying digital download games, but I own quite a few now, and have no problems buying them, not being able to trade them in if I dislike them, and not being able to find them cheaper used somewhere.

Disc based games that work the same way at least give me that physical copy I like. Although even then I'm trying to get over the fact that owning the physical copy doesn't actually matter - what matters to me most is that I enjoy the game. And I kind of like the fact that if I feel like buying something new at 10pm on a Wed night, all I have to do is log onto the PS Store with my Vita and buy away, as opposed to waiting until I have time to drop by a store or waiting for the postman to arrive with my online order.

Will I miss it? Well yes and no. I like buying stuff for my 360/PS3 used and saving a few bucks (not the $5 off a newer game, I'm talking getting something for $20 that retailed at $60 when it was new). So I'll miss that. But I'll always be able to buy used copies of games for older systems, and I'll always be playing older systems, so from that perspective there is nothing to miss
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Without weighing in too much on this topic - you know what I'm NOT going to miss when there's a full transition from physical to digital?

Not being able to find something because it's "sold out" (or some similar thing).

How many hours of our lives, miles on our car, money on gas/transportation fees have we collectively spent "looking" for games that happened to be out of stock/sold out/out of production/"rare"/hard to find, etc.?

Sure, "thrill of the hunt" will be gone, but that's more of an irrational side effect of this supply/demand system in the first place.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 02-28-2013 at 10:30 AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Without weighing in too much on this topic - you know what I'm NOT going to miss when there's a full transition from physical to digital?

Not being able to find something because it's "sold out" (or some similar thing).

How many hours of our lives, miles on our car, money on gass/transportation fees have we collectively spent "looking" for games that happened to be out of stock/sold out/out of production/"rare"/hard to find, etc.?

Sure, "thrill of the hunt" will be gone, but that's more of an irrational side effect of this supply/demand system in the first place.
    I think the risk becomes that the item is no longer available for download. Then you are chasing people who have downloaded it and you probably need to crack the file to make it work.

EDIT: I am actually very much in favour of Digital Downloads, but that is by-the-by.
    Last edited by Daltone; 02-28-2013 at 09:56 AM.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    I think the risk becomes that the item is no longer available for download. Then you are chasing people who have downloaded it and you probably need to crack the file to make it work.

EDIT: I am actually very much in favour of Digital Downloads, but that is by-the-by.
    I know. Nothing sucks more than a de-listing!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have no love for optical disks or floppies.
    To me, if it's not a cartridge, it may as well just be a file on my hard drive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Well, sounds like my gaming ends with this generation...

Oh wait, I never sell my games anyway. I don't care.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.