Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Edge reports durango to block used games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dendawg View Post
    So, essentially the videogame companies are losing a customer they never really had.
    Kinda, keep in mind that 50% covers all of my gaming habits, so old NES & Gameboy games are covered under it. I buy from Steam and Sony all the time, with the odd game here or there from Microsoft. Pretty much everything Nintendo I've played since about halfway through the GBA's lifespan I've pirated. So, Nintendo isn't really losing a customer, as they already lost me. I'd really like to stick with Sony, as they've been reasonably good to me, from the PS1 and on, but I don't know that I'm ok with this trumped up DRM thing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Also congrats on being part of the problem.
    Thank you. I try to do my part to make sure people who get all hot and bothered over piracy feel relevant.
    Last edited by JSoup; 02-06-2013 at 08:47 PM. Reason: For some reason, I chose to not finish one of those sentences before I clicked post.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    Assuming this is all actually true, then it is effectively download only. The existence of the discs would just be a means of conserving HDD space. I'd assume under these conditions every game would be offered digitally for those who'd rather go that route.
    considering Terrabyte drives are dirt cheap these days what you save on the blue ray player you put into the bigger hard drive and be done about it... I still don't see the point.

specially since everything is pushing this whole cloud service thing (which i am still not fond of). It will probably push the stuff you don't pay attention to onto a cloud service to be reused again later when you feel like playing it.
    Last edited by Collector_Gaming; 02-06-2013 at 05:35 PM.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Collector_Gaming View Post
    considering Terrabyte drives are dirt cheap these days what you save on the blue ray player you put into the bigger hard drive and be done about it... I still don't see the point.

specially since everything is pushing this whole cloud service thing (which i am still not fond of). It will probably push the stuff you don't pay attention to onto a cloud service to be reused again later when you feel like playing it.
    Terabyte drives are cheap, but only if you can buy your own. Microsoft still charges $130 (Edit: MSRP price) for a 320GB drive.
    Last edited by Kitsune Sniper; 02-06-2013 at 05:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I wonder if MS will fire up their old Windows XP licensing servers for this? I mean, you couldn't fool those.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dendawg View Post
    So, essentially the videogame companies are losing a customer they never really had.
    Also congrats on being part of the problem.
    And you sirs, have spoken like corporate mouthpieces w/ your heads up each other's butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I guess that makes it easier to spend $335 on a GTX 670, over paying that much for the next console.

If this is the way MS and Sony plan to go, I'll just ride out the software available for the PS3 and 360 until they drop support. The PC will be my source for next-gen gaming, since it's already more powerful than what these consoles are going to be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    And you sirs, have spoken like corporate mouthpieces w/ your heads up each other's butt.
    No. I believe in supporting artists and creators. As opposed to be an entitled toolbox.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We have not been able to confirm the veracity of this new report, which claims that Durango discs will ship with one-time-use activation codes that render them irrelevant to anyone but the person who first uses them.
    You know, all the talk has been about not being able to play used games but what will this do to used console sales?

Will all of the used Xbox 720 consoles in Gamestop already have a library of games pre-loaded in them or will used consoles not be able to be resold either? Maybe there will be a system restore of sorts when a console is resold.
    Last edited by Griking; 02-06-2013 at 08:51 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Congratulations, I am now a PC gamer for life.

As a life long PC gamer this always makes me happy to read.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about this whole thing.

This does appear to be the beginning of the end in regards to the rights we have as consumers of video games. The rights that we have, with physical games on the current platforms is something that so many of us take for granted. I can go to Craigslist or Ebay, and find a used copy of Halo 4. I can buy it, play it for as long as I want, and sell it off to somebody else. I can give it to my cousin. I can give it to a nephew. I can go to Redbox or Blockbuster and rent a game. I can have a rental service with GameFly. All of this, is eventually going to become a distant memory.

So, yeah... That part sucks.

On the other hand, there is the total and complete downfall of GameStop....

Man... which to choose , lol ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

WCP, the gaming community is already full of elitist snobs (sorry, but it's true). All Gamestop has ever done is level the playing field (no pun intended) so that normal people can have just as much fun with it as the rich kids. If Gamestop goes away, elitist snobs will be the only gamers left and, at least as far as I'm concerned, it won't be a hobby worth pursuing because even if you shell out the cash for a new console and games, you'll be surrounded by jerks all the time. Who in their right mind would want that? Not me.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    You know, all the talk has been about not being able to play used games but what will this do to used console sales?

Will all of the used Xbox 720 consoles in Gamestop already have a library of games pre-loaded in them or will used consoles not be able to be resold either? Maybe there will be a system restore of sorts when a console is resold.
    You know you raise a very interesting point there. Which i just thought of how its gonna work. Everything's gonna work through cloud service. As messed up as that sounds. Its the only way. Unless.... You sell the console by what is on it for software.
    I am almost positive its gonna be cloud serviced which to me drops a super huge f bomb to the consumer. To me cloud is the worst thing ever to be made up in tech world. I dont trust it for one second.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about this whole thing.

This does appear to be the beginning of the end in regards to the rights we have as consumers of video games. The rights that we have, with physical games on the current platforms is something that so many of us take for granted. I can go to Craigslist or Ebay, and find a used copy of Halo 4. I can buy it, play it for as long as I want, and sell it off to somebody else. I can give it to my cousin. I can give it to a nephew. I can go to Redbox or Blockbuster and rent a game. I can have a rental service with GameFly. All of this, is eventually going to become a distant memory.

So, yeah... That part sucks.

On the other hand, there is the total and complete downfall of GameStop....

Man... which to choose , lol ?
    That also includes the luxury of being able to take a game to a friend's house for play. Will you be able to do it, if you log in on your friend's console?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

All I know is, 2013 is going to be very, very interesting year in gaming. Can't wait for Feb. 20th and the PS4 announcement, and then of course, Microsoft will have a MTV special or something. If both companies are jumping on the anti-used game bandwagon, we're going to find out pretty soon. This is something I'd imagine both companies would want to leak out early to "prepare" consumers for this new paradigm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    You'll take away my used games, but you'll never take away my DRM Free game purchases and cracks.
    I read that totally hoping you were going to end with a Braveheart-esque " but you'll never take my FREEDOMMMMMMMMM" monologue. Maybe next time.

Quote Originally Posted by retroguy View Post
    Not trying to troll, but I told you so. WiiU FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    Third Parties are going to have to go to the Wii U if they want their games to be sold. This thing single handedly kills the Durango. Besides Bayonetta 2 is coming out soon.
    I think you two are overestimating the WiiU. I have a feeling that even if the Next Box and PS4 didn't allow used games they would both still outsell the WiiU, atleast here in the US. I'm going to give all three the benefit of the doubt but the WiiU doesn't seem to be exciting gamers the way past Nintendo systems have. From all the feedback I've gotten(based on my personal experience of course) gamers are more excited about the PS4/Next Box and neither have even been announced yet. I'm not completly counting Nintendo out yet but I don't see the WiiU being another run-away success for Nintendo.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    If this is the way MS and Sony plan to go, I'll just ride out the software available for the PS3 and 360 until they drop support.
    This is what I was thinking at first but honestly the used game thing doesn't kill it for me. Now if the next gen systems ONLY played digital games and they were still $50-$60 on release then yes I would stick with my PS3/360/Wii.

I know alot of people are complaning about this but you know that alot of them would still buy it anyway. I mean it's already happening this gen. All of Sony's first party games for the last two years have required online passes for the multiplayer and the same thing can be said about EA's games. Yet this has not slowed down sales of Uncharted, Madden, Battlefield, etc. I personally buy most of my games new but I definitely enjoy buying games used at yard sales and flea markets too. I may not like it if Microsoft and Sony did this with all their games(especially since I play alot of online multiplayer) but it's something that people would just have to get used to. But it's not going to kill off console gaming over night and I also doubt it will send waves of people flocking to the WiiU.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Cherry (Level 1) Jack_Burton_BYOAC's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As someone who has been using Steam for nearly 10 years to buy new games, nor makes a habit of trading games in, I don't really see a particular problem with this. What all this anti-used game trend seems to be geared to is pushing players to buying digital downloads over physical media. Because undoubtedly the NEXT general will be discless. So you better get used to it.
    Or... if enough people get pissed off and refuse to buy the thing, they might wise up.

Insert Coin (Level 0) danawhitaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As someone who has been using Steam for nearly 10 years to buy new games, nor makes a habit of trading games in, I don't really see a particular problem with this. What all this anti-used game trend seems to be geared to is pushing players to buying digital downloads over physical media. Because undoubtedly the NEXT general will be discless. So you better get used to it.
    Hmm. Nope. I'm not going to get used to it. I'll simply choose not to consume the product I guess. Why does the game industry think they're so special when it comes to second-hand products? I don't see the car manufacturers moaning around about people buying used cars. Lots of people buy used books (look at stores like Half-Price Books). Lots of people buy used DVDs/Blu-ray discs. You don't see the Gap crying around about people buying their used clothing at thrift stores. Imagine this world if second-hand markets didn't exist for anything at all. I doubt there's anyone on this forum who likes the idea who doesn't have at least one second-hand product. Heck, imagine if all houses had to be new, and you couldn't buy a house that had already been built. Of course every company would prefer you pay for a brand new item rather than buying it used. But that's not only wasteful, it's unreasonable to expect. Buying second-hand products is a way for people to acquire things they want or need and still be able to afford other necessities.

One of the biggest problems I see with this idea is what happens fifteen years down the line, when this console becomes "classic". It will be difficult if not impossible to acquire games without resorting to paying the (what I'm sure would be) inflated prices they'd want on their download servers. For those of us who prefer physical copies, we'd have to be seeking out sealed copies with intact activation codes - and that of course assumes those activation codes would still be valid, and that the activation servers would be up and running for eternity. I value still being able to play my older consoles, and that's a freedom I don't ever want to give up. There's also the fact that sometimes, even after a few years on the market, a new copy of a game will be nearly impossible to track down. I had that problem with Super Mario Galaxy for the Wii. No one had it new, not even stores that only sell games new. I could have bought it online, but I wanted to purchase it from a physical store. So, I had to go the used route.

Now, while I don't agree with piracy, I also do not agree with the arguments that anti-piracy people love to make. Just because someone buys an item second-hand doesn't mean they ever would have paid full-price for that item in the first place. I know this has been the case for me with some games. I either wait until they go dirt-cheap on sale, or I buy them used at Gamestop. I'm a single parent, gaming is one of my few hobbies, and I like to stretch my budget as much as I can. I can still remember when new games would cost about $40, now they're generally up to $60 (plus any download content they want to milk you for, if you're into that). And exposure to products through second-hand means allows people to discover new content they necessarily wouldn't have been able to otherwise, and means they might start investing in newer stuff, and recommending games to their friends, who in turn will also buy them.

This move, along with the always-online component, is a deal-breaker for me. It basically turns console gaming into PC gaming, and if I wanted to game on my PC, I would. When I played World of Warcraft actively, and my internet connection would go down or would become unstable, I'd turn to my console. I do not want to be in the position of not being able to play my console games just because my internet connection is down. That's ridiculous. I should not need to be connected to the internet to play single-player offline games like Angry Birds Trilogy, or the single-player mode of Band Hero. That is the game industry trying to over-reach and control how I use my devices, and I want no part of that. I love the internet, but single-player games should not need an always-on connection to function. Diablo 3 failed hardcore in this regard. I played it a lot when I got it for "free" with a one year commitment to World of Warcraft. I had some issues with my internet connection over the summer after getting it at certain times of day that were hard to track down and fix, and whenever I would get disconnected, it would screw up whatever I'd been doing. It made me not even want to play (well, so did the game itself, but that's another story for another thread).

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

No. I believe in supporting artists and creators. As opposed to be an entitled toolbox.
    I believe in fair pricing for good products and rewarding artists/creators for not trying to spoon feed me absolute shit. As opposed to blindly encouraging those same artists/creators to make more shit by buying shoddily made products with my nose jammed in the air about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danawhitaker View Post
    Hmm. Nope. I'm not going to get used to it. I'll simply choose not to consume the product I guess. Why does the game industry think they're so special when it comes to second-hand products?
    They aren't special. All media is heading this way; from books, to magazines, to comics, to movies, to TV shows, to Video Games. Its just the way the economics are moving in the entertainment industry as a whole. Obsessing about the storage medium of a game being integral to the gaming experience is about as short sighted as saying the most important part about reading is being able to smell the book.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12