Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Edge reports durango to block used games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    I know this is anecdotal evidence, but nobody I know who has an Android device pirates games or apps. I'm not saying piracy doesn't exist on Android, but out of the hundreds of millions of people who use the platform (phones, tablets, Kindle Fires, etc.), it has to be an extremely small percentage. It's simply too much trouble for the average user, plus the fact that the Play Store is so convenient and inexpensive.
    I'm going mainly by what I've heard from developer press releases, news stories, and android developer forums.
    Here's a few that a quick google search yielded...
    http://www.develop-online.net/news/4...80-piracy-rate
    http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...et-game-piracy
    http://www.develop-online.net/news/3...an-iOS-edition
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Insert Coin (Level 0) LordsOfSkulls's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    LordsOfSkulls
    PSN
    LordsOfSkulls

only problem is when it comes to unable to buy used games.... is that some games out their are $100+ dollars, because they had limited physical copy printed out/people hold on to good games,

I hate buying games digital, i prefare to have my games a physical copy, not for resale, but for the fact that i dont have to download a game i want to play and wait 3-7 hours before it finishes to play the game.

Also it makes me feel like i actually paid for something... with physical copy of box/manual and box art, than some data on the internet.

That why i am supporting/signed up for

http://www.gaijinworks.com/

in line for a pre-order/copy of a physical for PSP Class of Heroes 2.

Only time i am okay with digital copy is if the developers cant bring the game in any other format than a digital copy to state side (form of a good game i take it any way as long as i can have it). For example Unchained Blades for 3DS on eStore, or Corpse Party 1 and 2.

Heck i bought and imported Arcana Heart 3 and Siren's Blood PS3 copies from europe just so i can have a physical copies of this games over digital.
    Last edited by LordsOfSkulls; 02-07-2013 at 12:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interesting. If I had a PSP, I might preorder it too, but I don't. Oh well.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retroguy View Post
    It depends. Wii Sports is fun and all, but I wouldn't buy it unless it was five bucks or something. Super Mario Galaxy, OTOH, would absolutely be worth it, at least for me. Ditto Skyward Sword.
    I am exaggerating a bit, yeah. There are plenty of current Nintendo products that are provably worth the price tag. I normally find the Pokemon and Zelda games deliver quite a bit for what is being asked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If and when consoles all go primarily digital download I doubt that physical copies will completely disappear though pre-orders may actually become required for some games. Think about it this way, down the road there will likely be a lot more rare and desirable games for collectors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    I'm going mainly by what I've heard from developer press releases, news stories, and android developer forums.
    Here's a few that a quick google search yielded...
    http://www.develop-online.net/news/4...80-piracy-rate
    Based on the comments, a lot of people think that game is overpriced ($11 USD) and was a quick, sloppy port of the iOS version. I'm not defending piracy, but an expensive sloppy game isn't going to rake in sales.

That game appears to be a glitchy mess. "The audio was so buggy we couldn't work out how to fix it, so we didn't," said Appy Entertainment exec Steven Sargent. Again, a sloppy game isn't going to rake in the sales.

People want an easy, convenient way to buy games *and* good value for their money.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 02-07-2013 at 01:22 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    Good points, but again, iOS and Android are extremely successful and are based solely on digital distribution. There is *no* physical media whatsoever on either platform, but somehow hundreds of millions of people are perfectly fine buying games and apps.
    I think the difference is that outlets like iOS, Android, Steam, etc. didn't have an established status quo. They emerged as independent alternatives. If run of the mill console gaming is Coca-Cola then an iPhone is Diet Coke or even just Pepsi. But taking something that's already established and running smoothly and suddenly replacing it with something else, that's New Coke.

To me, it seems like a sucker bet since at the risk of pissing people off and suffering whatever consequences that can come from people being pissed (which in the digital world usually means focused attempts at piracy), the benefit of cutting off used games is unlikely to be significant enough to overcome the financial woes that are likely the result of bloated budgets. I just can't see the revenue stream growing that much if the only meaningful change is the annihilation of the used market.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 02-07-2013 at 02:13 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So... if Atlus releases some cool Japanese game, and they only print a few thousand copies, which are all bought up, and I really want to play that game, my only option is an astronomically priced sealed copy?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    To me, it seems like a sucker bet since at the risk of pissing people off and suffering whatever consequences that can come from people being pissed (which in the digital world usually means focused attempts at piracy), the benefit of cutting off used games is unlikely to be significant enough to overcome the financial woes that are likely the result of bloated budgets. I just can't see the revenue stream growing that much if the only meaningful change is the annihilation of the used market.
    Also, whenever the media companies develop some draconian anti piracy scheme, hackers and modders always respond. I know MS did a pretty good job keeping console modding at a minimum with the 360, but I think the demand for used games is going to be a much more significant force than the average mod-chip customer in the past. Perhaps they can make mod chips that redirect the internet connectivity to some P2P thing on TOR that hosts cracked versions of whatever the game is trying to access?
    Last edited by XYXZYZ; 02-07-2013 at 03:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    So... if Atlus releases some cool Japanese game, and they only print a few thousand copies, which are all bought up, and I really want to play that game, my only option is an astronomically priced sealed copy?
    Or you can buy he digital copy, who's price will gradually lower over time, or get offered at a steep discount sale periodically.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by AlphaGamer; 04-02-2017 at 11:37 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaGamer View Post
    I can purchase a used copy of Rainbow Six Vegas at Gamestop for $2.99. You can't buy it digitally on the Xbox 360 Marketplace that cheap.
    I bought Deus Ex Human Revolution for $5 off Steam at Christmas time, I've not seen it that cheap elsewhere.

Anecdotal evidence is not a statistic.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Companies are generally smart enough to have multiple server locations for just this reason. That's what the 'cloud' is all about. Data isn't stored in one place. Its spread out, duplicated, redundancies on redundancies. It can't be disrupted easily.
    What happens when the company decides years later that it's no longer worth keeping the servers running? That's what happened with Adobe CS2, they decided it wasn't worth keeping the activation server running so they shut it down. Plenty of people were complaining that they couldn't reinstall their copies of CS2 so Adobe did the right thing and basically released it for free, they made available a version that doesn't require online activation and provided everyone a new serial number. That doesn't mean other companies will release their products for free if they take down the servers, you could just be out of luck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    What happens when the company decides years later that it's no longer worth keeping the servers running? That's what happened with Adobe CS2, they decided it wasn't worth keeping the activation server running so they shut it down. Plenty of people were complaining that they couldn't reinstall their copies of CS2 so Adobe did the right thing and basically released it for free, they made available a version that doesn't require online activation and provided everyone a new serial number. That doesn't mean other companies will release their products for free if they take down the servers, you could just be out of luck.
    Its a multi billion dollar industry, and online distribution is a lucrative future, the danger of a (growing) distribution channel like Steam or Marketplace going away is practically nil. Or at least no more dangerous then the already existing phenomena of online play servers being taken down over time, or MMOs shutting down. I mean, where online play is concerned that is always a concern. Gaming being physical media based is irrelevant in those cases.

Also, fun fact. You can back up all your Steam purchases locally for personal back ups. I'm not an expert, but I think you can back up your console purchases too for safe keeping. But don't quote me on that.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by AlphaGamer; 04-02-2017 at 11:34 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by AlphaGamer; 04-02-2017 at 11:32 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    Third Parties are going to have to go to the Wii U if they want their games to be sold. This thing single handedly kills the Durango. Besides Bayonetta 2 is coming out soon.
    You speak with your emotions and not your brain.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I could excuse a one-time activation that authorizes the game on that console, since XBLA games already do that, but requiring a persistent connection is crossing the line.

I don't even really mind that the disc has become nothing more than a convenient alternative to choking your internet connection with a multi-GB download, and ideally you could just toss it after it installs or pass it along to a friend. I just don't want to be cut off from my games whenever I have no connection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

If this really happens, ill just stick to collecting retro games and playing those. Just got a X'EYE today and playing rocket knight adventures!

Insert Coin (Level 0) zakthedodo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't understand why you wouldn't make a system as user friendly as possible.

I think it was Sony a few years back that tried to make rip protected CD's.
    So you buy the music, but can't rip it to your collection to put on your MP3 player without a code or something.
    It didn't last very long.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think part of this is the whole piracy thing. Microsoft suffered pretty strongly with piracy this generation. If you look on any craigslist, you'll see people with advertisments to mod your 360 and make you backups. They want to kill GameStop, GameFly and Piracy in one fell swoop.

The thing is, has any of these always-on connections really worked when it came to piracy ? For example, with Diablo 3 was Blizzard able to avoid a lot of piracy with that game, or was it pirated just as much as anything else ? You have to wonder why companies go through with these measures if they really don't work very well.