Thread: Stop inverting!

Insert Coin (Level 0) zakthedodo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Stop inverting!

Nightshade for the PS2.
    Good game but this inverted camera is really an issue.
    95 % of the time I get it, but fighting my instinct of what's right and left & up and down is not enjoyable.
    Why do they program games like they're flight simulators?
    At least offer the option to reverse it in the options menu.
    I have to wonder if the reason R3 re centers the camera was put in because they thought better of it.

Had to get this off my chest.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I like left is left and right is right, but when it's up and down, it has to be inverted for me.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Inverted up and down for life, yo.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Up and down??? Are you sure you're holding your controller correctly?
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Insert Coin (Level 0) zakthedodo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I like left is left and right is right, but when it's up and down, it has to be inverted for me.
    Inverted up and down is easy enough to get a handle of, fighting left and right as well is pretty bad.
    Once you get a handle on it, it becomes close to fine.
    The movement and attacks are fine, but the movement is really killing this game for me.
    The camera sways way too fast and although this is adjustable it's still very slippery.
    Kind of reminds me of the camera to Without Warning which really swings around quickly as well.

Alternate button mapping or even simply an option to invert and axis would be nice.

Like I said, I'm just griping out loud.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Right and left are reversed? I wonder what they were thinking when they did that.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I totally agree. I hate inverted look. We don't live in Wonderland here. Where up is down and down is up..left is right and right is left. Why do they do this?! Perhaps, video game makers are the biggest trolls of all. They need to stop it!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For some reason, pulling the analog stick back to go up seems good to me in flying games, and pushing forward to go down is good too. I havent run into the left is right right is left problem, thats stupid. I played Rez recently and its push up to shoot up and pull back to shoot down and Im not used to it, but I can change the input in the config menu of the emulator so thats good.
    Last edited by IHatedSega; 02-17-2013 at 06:39 PM.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

I'm weird about this, find it really difficult to play any game non-inverted up/down with a controller but for 99% of PC games I go standard. Not quite sure why either as I've used both controllers and mouse/keyboard since a child and didn't grow up on flight sims or anything but it somehow this way is just natural for me. A game that doesn't have the option to switch either can easily ruin the experience.

I don't understand the inverted left/right though, doesn't make sense to me in any context and yet I run into it occasionally on third person games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Flight sims like Star Wars: Rebel Assault II are the only things I play inverted. I hate when I'm in a game room at an anime convention or somewhere similiar and the person who used the controller before me had all sorts of retarded control treaks, including inversion. My ex played Halo Reach with inverted controls but only because thats how she started because she wasn't aware that was the wrong way. I've been trying to ween her off of it for awhile now.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Inverted up/down only makes sense with pitch/roll control schemes.
    When it comes to camera controls, and this includes FPS aiming, up/down inversion makes no more sense than left/right inversion. There's no logical reason for one axis to behave differently than the other.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

The only time I've ever encountered inverted left/right is in Poisonous Pipeline in Donkey Kong Country 3 when swimming and the fight against Kaptain K Rool in Donkey Kong Country 2 if you touch the purple cannon smoke.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

That's a different, that's one of Rare's ideas for a cheap single-level difficulty-inflation gimmick (and perhaps one of the reasons the third game is not as well liked as the second).

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When you think about it, inverted controls make sense. When you look up you are tilting the camera or your head back, and when you look down you are tilting the camera or your head forward. I also find that when in third person having inverted left and right makes perfect sense. When you move the stick left the camera moves to the left causing it to look right if the view stays centered on your character. I can't even understand why this should be called "inverted" when this way is the only natural way of doing things.
    Last edited by RP2A03; 02-18-2013 at 07:59 AM.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

People prefer different things, and that's obviously fine.

There should always be the option though. I think it's one of the basic things of good game-making of today to offer the players as much options to tweak their experience to their liking as possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, yeah, people should of course use whatever they find most comfortable. It's good to have options.
    Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    When you think about it, inverted controls make sense. When you look up you are tilting the camera or your head back, and when you look down you are tilting the camera or your head forward. I also find that when in third person having inverted left and right makes perfect sense. When you move the stick left the camera moves to the left causing it to look right if the view stays centered on your character. I can't even understand why this should be called "inverted" when this way is the only natural way of doing things.
    At least you're treating both axes in the same fashion for TPS, but like I mentioned already, there's no reason why you shouldn't do the same for the x-axis in FPS. I've read all sorts of weird justifications and abstractions for why the control should be reversed, but to me, pressing the stick in the direction you want to look is just intuitive.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    At least you're treating both axes in the same fashion for TPS, but like I mentioned already, there's no reason why you shouldn't do the same for the x-axis in FPS.
    In a FPS it's all about the head movement. Tilt your head/stick back to look up and forward to look down, thus the inverted x-axis. Move the stick left to turn your head left and right to turn your head right; no inverted y-axis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In general, Y is up/down and X is left/right, but I know what you mean.

If you want a more defensible reason to stick with inverting one and not the other, you could just say left and right actually turn the body, while up and down tilt the head. Then it makes a little more sense to treat them differently, like pitch/yaw in a flight sim.

For me personally, it's all about 'moving' the targeting reticule, which is why I prefer the 'normal' control scheme.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In general, Y is up/down and X is left/right, but I know what you mean.
    *facepalm.jpg*

For me personally, it's all about 'moving' the targeting reticule, which is why I prefer the 'normal' control scheme.
    A different frame of reference. I suppose that makes sense.