Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A whole new world of VGA idiocy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also, there was a guy selling VGA'd 3DS games a while back for around 500-600 bucks. Derp.

And NOTHING beats the coffin'd Gold NWC cart that is actually back on eBay again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Burton_BYOAC View Post
    I can kinda see why some guys would want to slab a modern game, though. When are you ever going to have a better opportunity?
    If you think it's gonna be worth something, then throw it in an air tight bin for ten years. Then, if it actually does become valuable, send it to the VGA. No sense in wasting 50+ bucks if it ends up being worth absolutely nothing.

It's an absolute waste of money to have a modern game slabbed.
    Last edited by wiggyx; 02-07-2013 at 07:12 AM.

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is beautiful.

And there IS that guy with a 100 VGA Super Mario 3D Land that was linked a few posts back for $9999 too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hate to sound like a dick, but sometimes I really wish the bubble would burst and these people sitting on dozens upon dozens of VGA graded games that they paid way too much for would end up with heaps of slabbed worthlessness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AceAerosmith71

I think it's ridiculous to spend money getting ANY game graded. But, I really feel sorry for the dumb fuckers who think they're worth more boxed up with the little grading sticker on it.

A 100-graded copy of a piece of shit is still a piece of shit.
    “The world has, forever and always, been brimming with shit-heads.” - Dana Gould

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    I hate to sound like a dick, but sometimes I really wish the bubble would burst and these people sitting on dozens upon dozens of VGA graded games that they paid way too much for would end up with heaps of slabbed worthlessness.
    That's not a dick comment, that's just the voice of sanity. Sure it's a minority who slab games, but if you step outside our little box into the wider range of people who just get into games for selling purposes or those new to collecting that don't research first, these slab games do have an impact. If someone sees a game for $1000 a graded box, and then you have a sealed of the same, complete, cart+paper+sleeve, and a cart all side by side how many here would honestly think someone who wanted to make a buck or really had no clue wouldn't be in some way affected by this? You take a game sealed worth like $100 and get it slabbed, now it's supposedly worth $1000. That slabbed game sells and then the next sealed guy will try and ask even more or grade and try and beat that. In that moment of greed the next dude with the same game but less will think, fuck that noise I got the game+papers here why am I asking $20 when I can get $50? Sure it may not sell in a day or two, but someone new will come along or someone thinking 'this shit is just going to keep going up in price' and they'll pay.

The more these slabbed shitheels keep making up these prices higher and higher, as long as some chump is out there to buy them it will help inch up the other levels of completeness or what not for the same title a bit too. Sure I can't really go all scientific and prove it, but I've hung around enough places long enough like ebay, nintendoage, and others watching costs go up on stuff to see it happens. It's just like the stunts that happen where a heap of copies of a game are all snapped up online, then put back up at a higher price to dry and prospect out some extra cash and sometimes the game stays high and won't go back down like Run Saber/SNES, or others drop back down where they were like Guardian Legend/NES. To think slabbed games are immune to fucking with the sealed and opened up copies is just ignorant or denial.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm interested in slabbed games of the current generation, but only ones that I played and "wow"ed me. And only 90+ and higher usually. 85+ is a horrible grade on current generation. Anyone with a VGA eye could find a 90 or better copy in a retail store with a bit of patience.

At the 95 level you're really talking MINT though. As in, you pick it off the shelf and if the cashier handles it too rough, it's going to be 90 to 90+. I've been collecting 5 years now and I'm at the point where I want Mint stuff. It's the natural evolution of some collectors.

And for all of the "gamers", yes, I own a playable CIB of every single game that I own sealed. I just get sealed as a bonus for my favorites.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have never heard of of the VGA before. Let me get his right...

I send some random company a game, who give it a vague rating, seal it in a tomb of carbonite and then send it back to me? I can then never remove the game from the carbonite box of doom because it will lower the rating?

Someone needs to photoshop Han Solo in here somewhere.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    I have never heard of of the VGA before. Let me get his right...

I send some random company a game, who give it a vague rating, seal it in a tomb of carbonite and then send it back to me? I can then never remove the game from the carbonite box of doom because it will lower the rating?

Someone needs to photoshop Han Solo in here somewhere.
    Yes, exactly. And if theyre really crafty I bet some of them opened it, and took the disk and then resealed plastic over it. Oh, how do I know this? Because how are you going to find out they they didnt do that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    Yes, exactly. And if theyre really crafty I bet some of them opened it, and took the disk and then resealed plastic over it. Oh, how do I know this? Because how are you going to find out they they didnt do that?
    Have you seen their new Schrdinger 100 range?

Your game is placed inside a sealed black box (to protect it from sunlight). Each hour there is a 50% chance that an atom that makes up your game will decay, lowering it's value. However, there is a 50% chance that your game will retain its 100 rating. If you open the box your rating drops to zero automatically. In fact, if you open the box the resulting inrush of air will be so damaging that the game will probably spontaneously cease to exist, leaving you with an empty box.

Yours for just 250.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I buried 200 copies of Star Fox 2 under my driveway when wed had it re-poured. They'll last forever and are worth billions right now. I may even have the VGA come over and grade my driveway.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Echo scan the case?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Sundowner's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wiggy, that was a hilarious photoshop picture!

I'm against the VGA grading stuff. How would they know versus anyone else? What makes them official? I think that the people that buy this overpriced stuff are just to blame. Do people really buy this stuff?

Also, I think that someone should take a shit into saran wrap and mail it to them. That would be fuuunny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Couldn't agree more.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think I just died!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    Echo scan the case?
    How much would that cost?

Maybe they should have done the same to Schrdinger's cat till they could prove after awhile if it was finally dead?
    Last edited by IHatedSega; 02-07-2013 at 01:01 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

The grades should have been different values, for accurate consistency of the VGA.

Maybe they should have done the same to Schrdinger's cat till they could prove after awhile if it was finally dead?
    Just leave the cat in the box without food or water for a month and you'll know it's dead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do people really believe grades are given out at random? It's not like an eBay listing where you buy a "Mint" PS1 game and it arrives scratched to hell. I agree with a VGA grade about 80% of the time, and the other 19%, I'm usually within a + or so. Only about 1% of grades do I see and just disagree with entirely, but grading is subjective and there will always be a human element to it.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I just really can't see the point of having current gen games graded at all. While I don't support VGA, I can at least understand why someone interested in buying or selling an older, very expensive sealed game would want some kind of third party assurance that the condition of the item they are buying or selling is at a certain level. Similarly, I can understand the desire to have some assurance that something isn't a reseal. I just don't understand spending money to have something graded that was printed in millions of copies and which will be easy to find sealed for many, many years to come. It's like these few collectors doing this have resigned themselves to the fact that sealed NES games are super expensive now and they still want to collect prestige items, so they see this as a good substitute. To me it just seems ridiculous and is definitely not something that will maintain or grow in value over time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    The grades should have been different values, for accurate consistency of the VGA.

Just leave the cat in the box without food or water for a month and you'll know it's dead.
    I was so gonna give the outer box a lower grade, but I didn't have the time to spend looking for a a silver grade image that would work. Maytbe later tonight if I can't sleep :P