Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I found some loose Sega Genesis games.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Unhappy So I found some loose Sega Genesis games.

This left me with an odd feeling. I was visiting a local good will and I noticed these Sega genesis games in the isle. I quickly scanned through and noticed that every game going for $1 was a sports game, sigh.

I like collecting sega genesis games, but I try to only collect box and manual if possible. But this made me feel a little sad that nobody wants these games.

I just wanted to show you all a picture that I though was interesting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130205_181656.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	6282  

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Honestly, I haven't seen more than a half-dozen Genesis games in any Goodwill I've ever gone into over the years, so I'm still impressed. As of late, it seems that none of the stores I go to have any games at all. They're probably selling them off through their auction site now.

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd still pick up the carts if you see anything even remotely hard to come by; box/manual can come later. Hell, even if it's something you already have, you can resell whichever loose one's in worse condition and have more to spend on what you actually want to collect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wouldn't those be worth it for $1.00 a piece if you sold them in a lot or something? There's GOT to be something in there worth buying.

not every big cart made by EA was garbage. There could be mutant league hockey or football in there!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Huh, that looks like one of those Atari 2600 "plug'n play" things, there.

Cherry (Level 1) Jack_Burton_BYOAC's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice model 1 Genesis there, did it have have the "High Definition Graphics" text? Seems like those are the ones to get.

Also, if the Genesis repro scene ever takes off like the SNES some of those $1 sports games might not be so worthless after all.

Insert Coin (Level 0) cholkavich's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cholkavich
    PSN
    Cholkavich

For $1 there is some fun sports games to be had even if just with a loose cart. I can say some of the PGA games are pretty fun, the NHL games, theres some Tennis games worth playing as well as some soccer games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm getting kind of sick of the whole "all sports game suck" idea. This isn't directed at the OP necessarily but its a general theme anymore. Watched a video where someone actually spent money to buy sports games for several systems and destroyed them. Stupid and a waste of money IMO.

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The tiny toons genesis sports game is one of the best I've ever played. It's like mario sports before mario sports was a thing - tbh mario hoops 3 on 3 stole a LOT from its basketmall mode. Super memorable music, too, real rarity for sports games. Even mario sports mostly uses remixes of super mario tracks or completely forgettable crap (though that goddamn three on three loop on the character select will never leave never leave NEVER LEAVE) Pick it up if you get the chance.

Also yeah, mutant league.
    Last edited by recorderdude; 02-07-2013 at 10:43 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Sundowner's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wow, I think that would be a good find. I'm sure there would be something in there for me. I'm surprised you found all that at a goodwill. Do you think someone dumped their collection there? Like many people, there are no games at the goodwills near me. It's very common for me to see a goodwill listing on ebay and amazon now....what a shame, if they sell all their good stuff online, who would go to their store? It's gonna go downhill fast. Then again, those places are always busy because a lot of people are poor and don't care. They want clothes, or whatever...I don't know

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

While I always get at least one copy complete, I do buy loose carts as backups. You never know if it will have a problem.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I don't bother with loose sports games for $1 each, especially for the Genesis. I have a box of around 80 loose sports games that I can't seem to get rid of, even at $1 nobody wanted any. Of course every so often someone posts a want ad on craigslist looking for games at $5 each and lists a sports game or two, but these postings are pretty rare.

Not every sports game is bad, it's just the desirable ones are pretty limited compared to the rest of what's out there.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man, how awesome it must have felt, though, to walk into this Goodwill and find the electronics section so abundantly stocked with Genesis carts and miscellaneous gaming stuff. Even if it turned out to be mostly crap, I'd have had a great time sorting through it all in hopes of finding something cool.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I always have to scratch my head when collectors say they only collect complete Genesis games and/or find Genesis games complete more often than not. While it's not uncommon for me to come across a complete Genesis game, I definitely come across them loose more often than complete, and I own more loose Genesis games than complete ones. If I'm okay with loose carts for NES, SNES, N64, etc., I see no reason to make an exception for Genesis. If it's a good game at a good price, I'll pick it up.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    I'm getting kind of sick of the whole "all sports game suck" idea. This isn't directed at the OP necessarily but its a general theme anymore. Watched a video where someone actually spent money to buy sports games for several systems and destroyed them. Stupid and a waste of money IMO.
    Theyre a cancer to retro and used stores the world over. They need to be rounded up and stored somewhere till someone makes the plastic carts useful for something else. Its like smoking, they know this isnt a good thing to do but they still do it and theyre spending money to do it too.

When I went to the retro store last night they had ANOTHER who table full of Madden and N(whatever other letters here) games. They still had the gall to charge $6 for them though, for whatever reason even though not a single person going there would buy them like they havent and certainly for that price. I honestly dont get why these stores buy any sports games thats older than one year.
    Last edited by IHatedSega; 02-07-2013 at 03:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*cue Sarah Mclachlan*
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I always have to scratch my head when collectors say they only collect complete Genesis games and/or find Genesis games complete more often than not. While it's not uncommon for me to come across a complete Genesis game, I definitely come across them loose more often than complete, and I own more loose Genesis games than complete ones. If I'm okay with loose carts for NES, SNES, N64, etc., I see no reason to make an exception for Genesis. If it's a good game at a good price, I'll pick it up.
    I own some loose carts too, stuff like Sparkster, Splatterhouse 2, Splatterhouse 3, Beyond Oasis, MUSHA, etc. I just won't bother with common or cheap games as those are easy to find complete for barely more than the cost of loose carts, I make an exception for common games that came in a bundle as a bonus for free. It really is easier to find complete copies of Genesis games than any Nintendo cart games, the rarer games are hard to find loose or complete either way.

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    I honestly dont get why these stores buy any sports games thats older than one year.
    They really don't, people tend to bring a whole bundle of games together and the store would just make an offer for the whole lot. The sports games come in the lot for free, they really pay for the good games in the bundle and don't care about the rest. It's easier to offer to buy everything rather than draw attention to specific games that are valuable, they don't want you to think any game is really more valuable than the rest. The game store by my house told me this, they don't buy sports games or strategy guides. That doesn't stop them from selling them if they get any for free, only they don't price them cheap. They previously got some anime VHS tapes that someone just left them for free, they priced most at $10 and up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I would have set up a domino course out of them.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would try to find a manager to see if I can buy the entire lot for a deal. There has to be some good games in there and for the price of picking out the good stuff you might be able to get it cheaper and have a ton of trade fillers/coaster for you coffee table.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I actively and enthusiastically collect Genesis tennis games (as well as tennis games for all systems), and I'm open to golf and baseball. Most team sports games don't do it for me, especially ones that mimic the hype and glitz that put me off those sports to begin with. But I've spent enough hours on Intellivision Championship Tennis, NES Bases Loaded, Color Baseball for the Tandy CoCo, etc. to know better than to think all sports games suck.

If any of those weren't sports, I have 7-8 cases and manuals where I need the carts to go with them, so I'm always potentially interested in loose carts. (I'd look at the picture but, despite the skills I've developed in IDing blurry pictures of carts, I'm not quite that good. )