Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Class of Heroes 2: Support Physical Release Of JRPGs!

Insert Coin (Level 0) LordsOfSkulls's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    LordsOfSkulls
    PSN
    LordsOfSkulls

Default Class of Heroes 2: Support Physical Release Of JRPGs!

Right Now their is a sign up for pre-order, if reaches 2,500 sign ups the game Class of Heroes 2 will get a physical release for $34.99

http://www.gaijinworks.com/

=) i signed up cause i want the physical copy over the digital. + show my support for JRPGs.

Their alot of games in Japan that dont make State sides that should really be brought over.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LordsOfSkulls View Post
    Right Now their is a sign up for pre-order, if reaches 2,500 sign ups the game Class of Heroes 2 will get a physical release for $34.99

http://www.gaijinworks.com/

=) i signed up cause i want the physical copy over the digital. + show my support for JRPGs.

Their alot of games in Japan that dont make State sides that should really be brought over.
    I signed up for two copies. I'm glad to see Vic going this route as I don't think every new JRPG warrants a collector's edition. I would be more than happy to pay $40 on an on-going basis for a physical and digital copy of anything Gaijinworks releases for the PSP.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I thought the Kickstarter campaign was really stupid so I didn't touch it, but $35 is reasonable for a physical copy so I signed up for this. Especially since there's potential for this to be hard to find and/or expensive later on, and I don't like digital-only gaming. I just requested one for myself to play, though; I ain't playing the reseller game with this.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Did anyone not pledge for the kickstarter because its a mediocre dungeon crawler?

I would of love to have seen Western Digital styled collectors edition return to the market place but I have absolutely no interest in this game. I've seen the videos they have posted and it really just doesn't appeal to me, I understand that with a new company they are going to start off small and build a reputation from there but I really wish their first localization efforts were in a more appealing genera. if they were going for something else, personally ideally something like Valkyria Chronicles III then I would be all over this but even at this cheaper alternative I have very little interest in it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not the most interesting release they could have gone with given the PSPs japan-only library of titles. But I'd like to think if its successful we'll see more really niche titles make it over in retail form. I put in for two copies (one to play one to collect).

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    Did anyone not pledge for the kickstarter because its a mediocre dungeon crawler?

I would of love to have seen Western Digital styled collectors edition return to the market place but I have absolutely no interest in this game. I've seen the videos they have posted and it really just doesn't appeal to me, I understand that with a new company they are going to start off small and build a reputation from there but I really wish their first localization efforts were in a more appealing genera. if they were going for something else, personally ideally something like Valkyria Chronicles III then I would be all over this but even at this cheaper alternative I have very little interest in it.
    I personally have no interest in this game as I bought the first one and it bored me. Having said that, this is one of those rare instances where a few people ordering or not can and will make a difference and could lead to much more interesting games in the near future getting a physical release that otherwise would not. As such, I would encourage everyone to order one if they can possibly swing it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

True, I suppose 30 bucks really isn't a lot and I could always sell it down the line.

It just makes me cringe every time I see "and there are TONS more Class of Heroes games to bring over if this succeeds!" line I've seen Vic Ireland express another forums. lol

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I signed up for a copy. It looks like the meter has crept it's way to just under the 2K mark over the past few days. Hopefully they go ahead and push a physical copy through even if they fall short of the desired number.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I wouldn't go poo-pooing the game without even playing it. I haven't played the first Class of Heroes, and while I know that game didn't get a particularly warm reception, most people who have played both that and the sequel do seem to claim that the sequel is a significant improvement. I'm willing to give it a shot. I mean, it's not like there's something inherently wrong with first-person dungeon crawlers.

And, honestly, I've never really thought Working Designs brought over top tier stuff either for the most part. But even with many of their games sort of being the "leftovers" of the industry, it was still worthwhile, when the alternative was the games never being available in English at all. This has been the approach of Atlus, NIS, XSEED, and Aksys at times, which they used as leverage to more successful things, and sometimes those flawed-but-interesting games end up being my favorites, above the more mainstream hits.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I wouldn't go poo-pooing the game without even playing it. I haven't played the first Class of Heroes, and while I know that game didn't get a particularly warm reception, most people who have played both that and the sequel do seem to claim that the sequel is a significant improvement. I'm willing to give it a shot. I mean, it's not like there's something inherently wrong with first-person dungeon crawlers.

And, honestly, I've never really thought Working Designs brought over top tier stuff either for the most part. But even with many of their games sort of being the "leftovers" of the industry, it was still worthwhile, when the alternative was the games never being available in English at all. This has been the approach of Atlus, NIS, XSEED, and Aksys at times, which they used as leverage to more successful things, and sometimes those flawed-but-interesting games end up being my favorites, above the more mainstream hits.
    I usually don't outright dismiss a game because of its genera but Duengeon Crawlers are a different beast. They generally put me to sleep pretty quickly and I had a hard time actually caring about the game as a result, they have just always been a boring genera to me. Apparently the Class of Hero games get progressively better with each new installment but they are still just boring Dungeon Crawlers and this with every youtube video posted looks no different. I think I'll put in an order regardless but more for future localization potential and not for this actual game or others in the series. Just hope that Gajinworks gets that message rather then people like me just craving for another Class of Heroes game.

Regardless I agree that Western Digital didn't always put out gold during the 16/32bit era but the WD games I did play were certainty more interesting then what they've presented. I understand that this may have been the first gig they could of really showcased but with a Kickstarter campaign at least partially founded on the idea of supporting future localization efforts choosing a game from a very nich genera just seemed they were setting themselves for failure. Not to crap all over the company's efforts but even now they are barely reaching their own goal of only 2500 people signing up for a physical copy of this game. I could very well be blown away by Class of Heroes 2 and want more but I don't see it as very likely.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Dungeon crawlers aren't as niche as you'd think. They're probably more popular now (on handhelds, at least) than they've been at any point since the days of Wizardry. The DS and PSP are loaded with localized Roguelikes and first-person dungeon crawlers. With the popularity of stuff like Etrian Odyssey and MegaTen among US RPG players (even more so among Japanese players), I'm not surprised that Gaijinworks would pick a dungeon crawler. And, again, there's nothing inherently wrong with the genre. Even if you find the genre as a whole boring, that doesn't mean that it's boring as a fact and that everyone feels the same as you. There are good dungeon crawlers and there are bad dungeon crawlers. Who knows what the case is with Class of Heroes 2. I'd want to play it first before making that call.

Either way, I highly doubt Gaijinworks is going to base their entire future around the Class of Heroes series, so I don't think you have to worry about that. I'm sure they'll try to bring out traditional RPGs too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Your right, I'm being overly critical of a game I haven't played and that's not really fair to the individual game. Yet but I can't help not being interested in something because its a genera I have little interest in. I don't know why not liking a particular genera and there for not wanting to invest my cash in that experience is so hard to except where there are people on these forums that say more or less about others all the time. My opinion also seems to be a common on as its something expressed by a least a few people on every article presented in both this drive and the original Kickstarter. Regardless I wanna see them succeed and more obscure stuff from Japan so I'm putting myself down for one copy, maybe I'll be surprised and get into it but if my past experience with the genera is anything to go by I'll not enjoy it.

Insert Coin (Level 0) LordsOfSkulls's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    LordsOfSkulls
    PSN
    LordsOfSkulls

3 days left i am hopeing we hit the 2500

;p i just want to get physical copies instead of just getting digital.

Also i want to show them their still alot of love in USA for JRPGs.... and that not everyone is brain washed FPS player now days in this part of the World.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Your right, I'm being overly critical of a game I haven't played and that's not really fair to the individual game. Yet but I can't help not being interested in something because its a genera I have little interest in. I don't know why not liking a particular genera and there for not wanting to invest my cash in that experience is so hard to except where there are people on these forums that say more or less about others all the time. My opinion also seems to be a common on as its something expressed by a least a few people on every article presented in both this drive and the original Kickstarter. Regardless I wanna see them succeed and more obscure stuff from Japan so I'm putting myself down for one copy, maybe I'll be surprised and get into it but if my past experience with the genera is anything to go by I'll not enjoy it.
    Uh, I have no problem accepting your feelings on the genre. I was merely pointing out how you're muddling together your assessment of this particular game with your feelings on the genre as a whole. When you asked "Did anyone not pledge for the kickstarter because its a mediocre dungeon crawler?", you really meant "Did anyone not pledge for the kickstarter because its a dungeon crawler?" That's why your comments were confusing, and that's why, in my first reply to you, I thought you had a problem with this particular game. But if you think the genre as a whole is bad, then you're really in no place to discern what is or isn't a mediocre example of the genre. I mean, I don't care about sports games, but I know some are better than others, even if I can't really tell the difference myself. I'm also trying to explain why Gaijinworks picked a dungeon crawler, but it seems your hatred for the genre is blinding you to the fact that there are plenty of people who do enjoy dungeon crawlers.

Anyway, if you're so torn about supporting this, then don't. One copy isn't likely to make a huge difference. You could support them in a different way, like post about it on another forum. Or just buy a copy and flip it. You might even make a profit.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This proves Kickstarter was the wrong venue. In less than a week they've already gotten over twice as many signups here than total Kickstarter backers. They just should have gone with a standard preorder scheme for the deluxe set and arranged it so that it would only actually go through once a minimum number was met.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

If they get 2500 preorders how many physical copies will get produced? Will it be rare or will it get a regular type of production run?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    If they get 2500 preorders how many physical copies will get produced? Will it be rare or will it get a regular type of production run?
    Probably right around 2500. Some orders will probably not be completed and he has made it clear in his various posts on Neogaf that they aren't going to be doing a regular physical print run beyond what people actually agree to buy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Uh, I have no problem accepting your feelings on the genre. I was merely pointing out how you're muddling together your assessment of this particular game with your feelings on the genre as a whole. When you asked "Did anyone not pledge for the kickstarter because its a mediocre dungeon crawler?", you really meant "Did anyone not pledge for the kickstarter because its a dungeon crawler?" That's why your comments were confusing, and that's why, in my first reply to you, I thought you had a problem with this particular game. But if you think the genre as a whole is bad, then you're really in no place to discern what is or isn't a mediocre example of the genre. I mean, I don't care about sports games, but I know some are better than others, even if I can't really tell the difference myself. I'm also trying to explain why Gaijinworks picked a dungeon crawler, but it seems your hatred for the genre is blinding you to the fact that there are plenty of people who do enjoy dungeon crawlers.

Anyway, if you're so torn about supporting this, then don't. One copy isn't likely to make a huge difference. You could support them in a different way, like post about it on another forum. Or just buy a copy and flip it. You might even make a profit.
    You have a point and next time I'll try to be more clear.

What it really comes down to is that I'm frustrated at both the genera, series in particular, and the way the initial kickstarter gave me the impression that future localization efforts to the Working Designs successor hinged on showing interest for a genera I have little interest in and a game series with an mediocre impression in the west. If you use your former company as leverage to get people to support you then I suspect more of that that company released, namely JRPGs and SHUMPS, not a dungeon crawler as its the only genera that competes with "ball' sports simulators in how little interest I have in them This isn't an uncommon view either as I've seen the same "if only it wasn't a dungeon crawler" sentiment expressed on every article I had seen of the initial push for extravagant Collectors Editions and even this smaller limited release. I've watched all the videos they posted on Class of Heroes 2 and i honesty don't see anything to differentiate it from other Dungeon Crawlers I've tried playing in the past and that combined with the middling reviews of the first title gave me the impression that it was "mediocre" which I think is fair assessment short of just buying the title myself.

Anyways I did end up signing up for a copy both to support the localization/physical copy efforts of the company and to see weather or not this is just another dungeon crawler but only received a email invite to their mailing list, is this normal or did they send you guys something else?

A little off topic but it just reminded me of other Kickstarter gaming campaigns that have failed because of its creators trying to leverage their past studio reputation with gaming concepts foreign to what made them notable in the first place. Both the Chris Taylor's Wildman and former Zipper Dev's Bottom Feeders immediately come to mind as other companies that more or less said, "Remember when we made great games in genera X? Well wait till you see our new project Y! I'sant awesome, give us tons of money guys! From the minds that brought you intense tactical shooting action comes a iOS fishing game, GET HYPED EVERYONE!" Although not as extreme as an example as this I feel that at least partially why Gaijin's initial Kickstarter failed, they were known for SHUMPS and JRPG (although Valhalla Knights was also very fun) and the presented the next big thing as a Dungeon Crawler.
    Last edited by substantial_snake; 02-12-2013 at 01:23 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Probably right around 2500. Some orders will probably not be completed and he has made it clear in his various posts on Neogaf that they aren't going to be doing a regular physical print run beyond what people actually agree to buy.
    So this could be another really rare game, almost an R8 or R9? It might be worth getting just for that reason, I don't have a PSP but I'm still tempted for this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Anyways I did end up signing up for a copy both to support the localization/physical copy efforts of the company and to see weather or not this is just another dungeon crawler but only received a email invite to their mailing list, is this normal or did they send you guys something else?
    I just signed up and it is normal, this isn't the actual preorder itself. Their email ended up in the junk folder, anyone not getting their email should check for it there. I'm still not 100% sure if I'll actually be buying this, at least I'll now have the option to.

If you're interested in the one-time preorder-only physical version, fill out the form below and hit submit (don't forget to verify your email address using the link you will be sent). THIS IS NOT THE ACTUAL PREORDER. It's just a way for us to see if we should proceed with the preorder program.

By signing up for this "Special" mailing list, I'm indicating I have the need and funds to know the satisfaction that comes from buying a physical version of Class of Heroes 2 for the PSP (with a digital download code included as well). If enough signups are made here for at least 2500 copies within the next 7-10 days, an official ordering link through Amazon Payments will be opened, the physical version of the game will be a go, and fans can reserve their copy or copies with the Amazon link. NOTE: YOU ARE NOT SIGNED UP UNTIL YOU CLICK THE LINK ON THE VERIFICATION "Subscribe to Mailing List" EMAIL SENT TO YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS. This special list is ONLY used to gauge interest in the Class of Heroes 2 Physical+Digital combination release. Your information will not be sold or used for any other purpose.