Thread: Dreamfall Chapters Kickstarter is up!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Dreamfall Chapters Kickstarter is up!

For the fans of The Longest Journey and Dreamfall, Read Thread Games(the new game studio started by Ragnar Tørnquist) is now holding their Kickstarter campaign to fund the development of the sequel to the aforementioned games, Dreamfall Chapters.

They are currently at roughly $320 000 of a $850 000 goal at the time of this post.
    Link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ongest-journey

They're doing away with the bad fighting and stealth gameplay mechanics of Dreamfall, and will continue the story exactly where they left off in that game - which is a great relief to all of us who have been wanting to know what'll happen after the big cliffhanger! Dreamfall Chapters will also end the story of Zöe Castillo and Dreamfall, so we won't be left with another cliffhanger.

And though many might think so due to the title, the game will not be released in an episodic format, but will be a single, full game. "Chapters" refers instead to the overall theme of the story in this game.

I am very much looking forward to this, and have already pledged a small amount.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Thanks for the info. I was wondering when Mr. Tornquist was going to start this. Now perhaps all my years of patience will finally pay!

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

I'm a little frustrated by this, on one hand I REALLY want a followup to TLJ/Dreamfall because they were the first adventure games I really enjoyed and felt something with.

On the other I'm really annoyed that this has become a kickstarter in which fans are asked to provide the development funding. Just feels a cheap after all those years stringing people along on the "We'll do it as soon as we can!" that turned into "Check out the Secret World guys!" nonsense that Tornquist pulled. I'll probably pledge for this but that combined with an estimate release date of November 2014 makes me hesitant on this one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can completely understand that, substantial_snake. However, the main reason why Dreamfall Chapters has been put on ice for so long is because of how Funcom was becoming more and more MMO oriented. (So they put all their resources into making Age of Conan and The Secret World, instead of Dreamfall Chapters.) Which has been quite annoying, if you ask me. I'm not an MMO guy at all, I mostly play single player games. And I really like adventure games.

So I think that the fact that he basically gave away his comfy position in Funcom to someone else(he's still an employee, but mostly just on paper) to start up his own game studio, instead of just continuing to work on whatever Funcom wants to make, so that he could get on with the saga shows that he's quite dedicated to the fans of TLJ and Dreamfall.

So yeah, not happy with how Funcom handled things about Dreamfall Chapters, but quite happy with Ragnar Tørnquist.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love Kickstarter. Between the Obsidian RPG, the Double Fine Adventure, Worlds of Wander and this it seems there (should be) some pretty good stuff on the horizon.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

This campaign is a mighty beast! In just its first days, it has 11,723 Backers and $739,748 of its $850,000 goal. Now I know I'm not one of only a few which want a conclusion to the story - our true number is impressive!

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I really should play the first two games now, I have both of them but never got around to them yet.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

My, my: 14,682 pledges totaling $954,695. I wonder if they will meet their super-stretch goal of $2MM and make "The Longest Journey Home."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

There's no mention what the minumum requirements would be, how would I know if my computer is able to play it? That's kind of important to know before buying computer software.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    There's no mention what the minumum requirements would be, how would I know if my computer is able to play it? That's kind of important to know before buying computer software.
    Dreamfall Chapters is using the Unity game engine, and according to [ http://unity3d.com/unity/system-requirements ], the requirements for running games are, "Windows XP or later; Mac OS X 10.5 or later. Pretty much any 3D graphics card, depending on complexity." And according to the authoring guidelines, "Using Occlusion Culling requires GPU with Occlusion Query support (some Intel GPUs do not support that)," so you would be better having a non-Intel-based graphics chipset.

Or in other words, if your computer was manufactured or upgraded within the past five years, you should be good to go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really should play the first two games now, I have both of them but never got around to them yet.
    You really should.

And from what I understand, Unity is good at scaling for different system specs, so even if you don't have a top of the line computer, you should still be good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I'll look into getting this game then. My PC is about 3-4 years old by now, I remember even after just getting it that some games had high requirements that wouldn't run on it so I was questioning this new game. It's almost like a 2GHz processor isn't enough anymore, though I can still use my PC to do everything else I need from it.

I didn't know that Dreamfall had fighting and stealth mechanics, I thought it was just a regular adventure game. I usually don't like these things in adventure games so I'll see what I think about them. I still haven't played through Escape from Monkey Island yet and I last played it sometime last year or possibly earlier, I just got busy and forgot about it. Adventure games take time so I usually save them for when I'm really free for more than just a few hours, and this doesn't happen often.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

1051K monies now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh yeah, fifth stretch goal reached!

I'll look into getting this game then. My PC is about 3-4 years old by now, I remember even after just getting it that some games had high requirements that wouldn't run on it so I was questioning this new game. It's almost like a 2GHz processor isn't enough anymore, though I can still use my PC to do everything else I need from it.

I didn't know that Dreamfall had fighting and stealth mechanics, I thought it was just a regular adventure game. I usually don't like these things in adventure games so I'll see what I think about them. I still haven't played through Escape from Monkey Island yet and I last played it sometime last year or possibly earlier, I just got busy and forgot about it. Adventure games take time so I usually save them for when I'm really free for more than just a few hours, and this doesn't happen often.
    Yeah, my computer isn't exactly the newest thing either. But we should be good, I think.

Dreamfall's fighting and stealth mechanics weren't really good. So it's a good thing they do away with them in Dreamfall Chapters.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I've got a friend who's been contemplating the $1000 donation reward, so he can be in the game. Not worth it to me, but it's nice to see so many fans stepping up.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    I've got a friend who's been contemplating the $1000 donation reward, so he can be in the game. Not worth it to me, but it's nice to see so many fans stepping up.
    That would be so cool if he went for it.

By the way, anyone interested in getting The Longest Journey can now do so as a Kickstarter add-on pledge of $10 to the Dreamfall Chapters campaign. This copy of TLJ is digital-only, but if you haven't played the first game yet it is a good way to both experience it and to get some more money to the D.C. Kickstarter campaign.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    If I had that kind of money, I would certainly go for it, without a doubt!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BIG UPDATE!

The final stretch goal has been revelead, and if they reach $2 million dollars, they will make another game in The Longest Journey saga! And not just any game, this game will go back to the roots of the first game and be a 2D point & click adventure, and will take place right after the events of the first game!

Let's just say that I'm increasing my pledge ...

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Ah man, I totally called that this is what this was going to be! Well, not the details, but that it would be the continuing adventures of April Ryan and a conclusion to the story.