Thread: I think the "traditiional" gaming industry could be in huge trouble... maybe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default I think the "traditiional" gaming industry could be in huge trouble... maybe

I've seen people post threads about how there might be another video game crash, and I would always giggle to myself when I saw those threads. I never really thought another crash could happen. I still don't think a crash, in the 1983 sense, will happen again, but now I'm starting to actually believe some of the doom and gloom predictions that people are having about the traditional games business. It's just seems like something strange is blowing in the wind right now. I'm not sure how this all going to play out, but I can realistically see some extremely painful years happening in the gaming industry right about now.

Just consider the last 3 systems that have been launched. Nintendo 3DS, Playstation Vita and Nintendo Wii U. All three got off to pretty horrible starts. The 3DS has recovered somewhat (and is thriving in Japan), but the Vita is still on death watch and the Wii U looks to be in serious danger of having a very limited amount of penetration into the market. The 3DS in the US hasn't been as big a success as it probably should be. Unfortunately, Nintendo just isn't giving enough software (Where's Luigi's Mansion ?) The games seem to be overpriced, and the selection is pretty laughable. I mean, you go to Target, and you go to the 3DS section, and there are only a handful of games really worth the drama. Same thing with Vita. ( I actually think the Vita's library is better than the 3DS, but not by much). The Wii U has had one of the worst launch lineups in the history of gaming. ( I don't care about quantity and multiplatforms. I want quality and exclusives)

The last time some hardware came out, and it was susccessful, was the Kinect in November 2010. It was really hot because it was the hot X-Mas gift that year, and also the whole dancing game thing really started to blow up. Kinect has sold crazy numbers of units, and was very popular. Kinect however, was an accessory, like a rock band kit or something, and it wasn't a gaming system. So, while it was succesful, it wasn't a full fledged gaming system. It's been a long time since we've had a successful video game system launch. Now we have the PS4 and the Xbox Next coming this November, but both of them are going to release for $399 or more. We know both companies have a dedicated following that will buy the system right away, (even if they were $600), but once you run out of those guys, will the general public be interested ? Or, will the general public be more interested in playing with the newest iPad ? It just seems like we are entering this strange situation with the arrival of PS4 and the new Xbox, and Ouya and Steam Box and Occulus Rift and Nvidia Shield, and all this crazy stuff. Then of course you know there will be new iphones and new ipads coming.

It seems like the market is going to be flooded with too many games, too many systems, too many options. If the General Public decides that they just aren't interested in spending $400 or $500 on a new console, things could get really sketchy.

As for the portable market, it looks like that market is changed forever. Sony and Nintendo would both somehow need to come out with an iphone killer to have any hope. I just don't see it. The Vita is on lifesupport, and the 3DS is only barely treading water (in the US).

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

3DS is at 30 million total and outpacing the original DS sales at this point by a good margin. PSP and PS3 got off to slow starts and both reached 70 million. Vita and Wii U will be fine. People need to stop over reacting and aint the doom of it all bullshit.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Wii U has been out for 2.5 months and its already sold 3.3 million. Is that considered a failure?
    Last edited by Rob2600; 02-12-2013 at 09:08 AM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Technically the Wii U has one of the better launch line ups, just that 95% of the games were already on other consoles prior to the Wii U being released. If you go by how good the launch games are and not based on that piece of information, then the Wii U launch is up there.

Regarding a video game crash, publishers are going bankrupt left and right. But Nintendo is making money, a lot of third party developers and publishers are pushing out quality games and making money. The business is doing so well that a lot of indie developers are making money as long as they can develop a quality game.

The only thing that might end up happening is the consoles might die out and PCs would be the only gaming device for hardcore types. Nintendo always makes sure they make money above all else and they also have their fanbase, so I could see them being the last remaining console developer. The only way to get games like Mario, Zelda, etc would be getting them on consoles, and some developers that have never published games on PC might stay console exclusive.

Instead of the video game crash, maybe people should refer to it as the Atari crash, because isn't Atari going bankrupt what led to it anyways?
    Last edited by kupomogli; 02-08-2013 at 10:36 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We're definitely heading into Interesting Times, but overall I think Video Gaming is just fine as an industry. Things change. Its the only thing that stays constant. We'll get through it.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post

Regarding a video game crash, publishers are going bankrupt left and right. But Nintendo is making money, a lot of third party developers and publishers are pushing out quality games and making money. The business is doing so well that a lot of indie developers are making money as long as they can develop a quality game. While Microsoft allows just about anything on their system as long as the fees are paid, you'll see a lot of games getting denied access to services like Steam unless they have some sort of quality behind them.

The only thing that might end up happening is the consoles might die out and PCs would be the only gaming device for hardcore types. Nintendo always makes sure they make money above all else and they also have their fanbase, so I could see them being the last remaining console developer. The only way to get games like Mario, Zelda, etc would be getting them on consoles, and some developers that have never published games on PC might stay console exclusive.
    I'm looking at the specs for the upcoming Xbox 720 and PS4, and I'm not seeing a whole lot of technological advancement for the estimated prices of these consoles. When the original Xbox, 360 and PS3 came out, they offered quite a lot of bang for the buck, compared to what you could build an equivalent PC for. The graphics cards alone, for the PC, would set you back just/almost as much as those consoles were being sold for. The upcoming consoles from MS and Sony look more like an all-in-one box, that you could probably build a PC version of for slightly more, yet have more options for future upgrades. I'm looking at my current gaming PC build, and I see the option of upgrading my graphics card for under $400, being much better than spending $400 for a console that won't come anywhere near its performance. This may be the first time that I'm not that excited about buying a better console for gaming.

Instead of the video game crash, maybe people should refer to it as the Atari crash, because isn't Atari going bankrupt what led to it anyways?
    It was a videogame console crash. I was playing 8-bit computer games, instead of the much weaker offerings on the consoles after 1983. Videogames didn't die, console gaming did.

Atari was not the only company that went bankrupt during that videogame console crash. Console manufacturers like Coleco and Mattel also felt the wraith of the sudden change of the industry.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Ryudo View Post
    3DS is at 30 million total and outpacing the original DS sales at this point by a good margin. PSP and PS3 got off to slow starts and both reached 70 million. Vita and Wii U will be fine. People need to stop over reacting and aint the doom of it all bullshit.
    The original ds had a horrible start as well, and it's an absolute blockbuster.

I've seen this happen with many, many consoles over the years, and only a relatively small number of them tank.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    The original ds had a horrible start as well, and it's an absolute blockbuster.

I've seen this happen with many, many consoles over the years, and only a relatively small number of them tank.
    Exactly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The 3DS is absolutely killing it in Japan, and it's selling decently in the US, but it did get off to a rought start. Also, it just doesn't have much of a game lineup (at least in the US). American 3DS owners seem hesitant to want to pay those high prices, unless it's for a Mario game or something like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    The 3DS is absolutely killing it in Japan, and it's selling decently in the US, but it did get off to a rought start. Also, it just doesn't have much of a game lineup (at least in the US). American 3DS owners seem hesitant to want to pay those high prices, unless it's for a Mario game or something like that.
    I'm not sure how you can say it doesn't have a decent game lineup. It hasn't been out that long, and there are already Mario Kart 7, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Paper Mario: Sticker Star, and Super Mario 3D land, just for some quality first party titles. I think that Nintendo is really pumping out the titles to support it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also, it just doesn't have much of a game lineup (at least in the US).
    See, I personally bought a 3DS (in the last week) specificity because its current and upcoming line-up looks really strong.

American 3DS owners seem hesitant to want to pay those high prices, unless it's for a Mario game or something like that.
    High prices? Another reason I went with 3DS is because $40 is a pretty low ceiling in terms of price. Its certainly at a level I'm comfortable paying full price for on release day. Its certainly better then $60 for a home console game.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by dgdgagdae View Post
    I'm not sure how you can say it doesn't have a decent game lineup. It hasn't been out that long, and there are already Mario Kart 7, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Paper Mario: Sticker Star, and Super Mario 3D land, just for some quality first party titles. I think that Nintendo is really pumping out the titles to support it.
    Super Mario 3D Land - Yes, one of the best portable video games of all time (imo) This game is the system seller.

Mario Kart 7 - Excellent Mario Kart that is a joy to play. Easily the 2nd best game on the system.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 - Ok, this one, I"m not that hyped on. I actually think this game is somewhat of a disappointment. I'm not really into the whole coin collecting thing.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star - I haven't played this game, but I've heard that the game starts out pretty good, but then it gets very tedious.

I wouldn't exactly say that Nintendo is "pumping" out the titles. The last big game they came out with was Sticker Star. Before that was NSMB 2, and both of those are somewhat lackluster. Now, Mario Kart 7 and 3D Mario Land are absolutely brilliant games. Especially 3D Mario Land. I give Ninendo all the credit in the world for that one. Best Nintendo game since Mario Galaxy 2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

3DS has a pretty strong library in the US. Just many of them are for a more niche crowd. Mainly Gamers who love Japanese games. Aso for me personally Project X Zone getting a US release is perfect and Ys is why I bought a vita and this fall I get both.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The traditional gaming industry is in for some major changes with the next gen, for sure. But they will just do like they always do: adapt and survive. Thats why our 360's and PS3's do so much more than just play games. Business models will continue to evolve but the traditional gaming industry as a whole will be just fine.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Super Mario 3D Land - Yes, one of the best portable video games of all time (imo) This game is the system seller.

Mario Kart 7 - Excellent Mario Kart that is a joy to play. Easily the 2nd best game on the system.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 - Ok, this one, I"m not that hyped on. I actually think this game is somewhat of a disappointment. I'm not really into the whole coin collecting thing.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star - I haven't played this game, but I've heard that the game starts out pretty good, but then it gets very tedious.

I wouldn't exactly say that Nintendo is "pumping" out the titles. The last big game they came out with was Sticker Star. Before that was NSMB 2, and both of those are somewhat lackluster. Now, Mario Kart 7 and 3D Mario Land are absolutely brilliant games. Especially 3D Mario Land. I give Ninendo all the credit in the world for that one. Best Nintendo game since Mario Galaxy 2.
    Just wait till the new 3D Pokemon X&Y come out and the thing will skyrocket in sales. It always does.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Just wait till the new 3D Pokemon X&Y come out and the thing will skyrocket in sales. It always does.
    Pretty much this. Once I find a 3DS XL at a price I like, I'll be getting one just for the new Pokemon games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've seen people post threads about how there might be another video game crash, and I would always giggle to myself when I saw those threads. I never really thought another crash could happen. I still don't think a crash, in the 1983 sense, will happen again, but now I'm starting to actually believe some of the doom and gloom predictions that people are having about the traditional games business. It's just seems like something strange is blowing in the wind right now. I'm not sure how this all going to play out, but I can realistically see some extremely painful years happening in the gaming industry right about now.

Just consider the last 3 systems that have been launched. Nintendo 3DS, Playstation Vita and Nintendo Wii U. All three got off to pretty horrible starts. The 3DS has recovered somewhat (and is thriving in Japan), but the Vita is still on death watch and the Wii U looks to be in serious danger of having a very limited amount of penetration into the market. The 3DS in the US hasn't been as big a success as it probably should be. Unfortunately, Nintendo just isn't giving enough software (Where's Luigi's Mansion ?) The games seem to be overpriced, and the selection is pretty laughable. I mean, you go to Target, and you go to the 3DS section, and there are only a handful of games really worth the drama. Same thing with Vita. ( I actually think the Vita's library is better than the 3DS, but not by much). The Wii U has had one of the worst launch lineups in the history of gaming. ( I don't care about quantity and multiplatforms. I want quality and exclusives)

The last time some hardware came out, and it was susccessful, was the Kinect in November 2010. It was really hot because it was the hot X-Mas gift that year, and also the whole dancing game thing really started to blow up. Kinect has sold crazy numbers of units, and was very popular. Kinect however, was an accessory, like a rock band kit or something, and it wasn't a gaming system. So, while it was succesful, it wasn't a full fledged gaming system. It's been a long time since we've had a successful video game system launch. Now we have the PS4 and the Xbox Next coming this November, but both of them are going to release for $399 or more. We know both companies have a dedicated following that will buy the system right away, (even if they were $600), but once you run out of those guys, will the general public be interested ? Or, will the general public be more interested in playing with the newest iPad ? It just seems like we are entering this strange situation with the arrival of PS4 and the new Xbox, and Ouya and Steam Box and Occulus Rift and Nvidia Shield, and all this crazy stuff. Then of course you know there will be new iphones and new ipads coming.

It seems like the market is going to be flooded with too many games, too many systems, too many options. If the General Public decides that they just aren't interested in spending $400 or $500 on a new console, things could get really sketchy.

As for the portable market, it looks like that market is changed forever. Sony and Nintendo would both somehow need to come out with an iphone killer to have any hope. I just don't see it. The Vita is on lifesupport, and the 3DS is only barely treading water (in the US).

IMO there's just too many platforms out there that games are still being developed for

Xbox360
    Playstation 3
    Vita
    Wii
    Wii U
    DS
    DS3D

Include the fact that PC gaming is starting to surge with digital download and that Android games are picking up and its no wonder that new console sales numbers aren't as great as previous consoles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    IMO there's just too many platforms out there that games are still being developed for

Xbox360
    Playstation 3
    Vita
    Wii
    Wii U
    DS
    DS3D

Include the fact that PC gaming is starting to surge with digital download and that Android games are picking up and its no wonder that new console sales numbers aren't as great as previous consoles.

It's true. There are too many platforms, and too many games. Something has to give... Think of all these platforms that are going to be in the mix in 2013 and 2014:

Xbox 360
    Nintendo DS
    Playstation 3
    Wii U
    Ninendo 3DS
    Xbox Infinity
    PS4
    Playstation Vita
    Steam Box
    Nvidia Shield
    Ouya
    iPod's and iPads