Thread: Is it safe to sell a "Not for Resale" item?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Is it safe to sell a "Not for Resale" item?

I got a really good deal on a Dual Shock 3 controller bundle not so long ago, except now I'm stuck with a Greatest Hits copy of Resistance (PS3) that I have no use for and that apparently has negligible trade-in value.

I thought I'd put it up on eBay, but it says "NOT FOR RESALE" on the back above the barcode. eBay won't try to pull the auction as long as I don't advertise that fact, right? Do I risk incurring the wrath of a buyer?

(Oh, and if you happen to want a Greatest Hits copy of Resistance, do speak up. )
    Last edited by Jorpho; 02-11-2013 at 10:01 PM.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

From what I understand (and this is strictly guesswork on my part, so don't take this as gospel), "Not for Resale" meant only that stores aren't allowed to separate the game from whatever it was bundled with and sell it on its own--IE, that in retail, it always has to be part of the bundle.

Once its used though, all bets are off. After all, eBay has been letting "Not for Resale" copies of various old-school games like Sonic 2 get listed for who knows how long.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Think of it when you buy bottled water. the bottles in the 24 case arent suppose to be sold separate. Yet people buy em and sell them at baseball games. The only ones that strike a little fear is when it says property of nintendo. Even though I doubt Nintendo wants a SNES game demo back from 20 yrs ago. If the rep says you can keep it and they are representing Nintendo. I guess its ok to keep it. I mean if they dont want it and say get rid of it, what gamer isnt going to want it for their collection. I used to get demos for the game cube and DS download station carts that way. Collectors are drawn to the NFS items due to how many of them are out there.
    Current Collection Stats As Of 12/10/2013 : Cartridges - 206 ( 182 unique titles 24 label variations ) : Cassettes - 21 :

Currently in the market for :

+ Atari 8 bit game cartridges ( all brands and most titles )
    + Atari 8 Bit Prototype and Demo cartridges
    + Atari 8 bit manuals and boxes

PM me if you see anything above that you have doubles or interest in getting rid of.

Check out my
    Atari 8-Bit Museum Site at http://www.a8museum.com
    Atari 8-Bit Museum on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/groups/392317377550512/
    And on Ebay under the handle ThePaperVault

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

The only people that give a damn about NFR items are software companies that don't want their NFR items to be resold. Most of the time this is because those items are given to people for really low prices (academic editions, reviews, etc.)

Video game items... no game companies real care about that. But you might get a disgruntled idiot. or someone who goes around reporting listings for the littlest details. So...

Just take a picture of the back of the box so people -see- the lack of barcode. Voila.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Theres a lot of limited edition stuff, especially in Japan marked "Not For Resale" for example, the Mcdonalds Happy Disc for PS2 or the Java Tea Virtua Fighter Kids for Saturn. Technically its Not for Resale promotional items and they are marked as such- But theres no other way to get them then to resell and some of them are worth a lot of money now. As mentioned before its mainly so retail stores can not resell those items, once you buy it its yours and you can do what you want with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    But you might get a disgruntled idiot.
    I have developed an unhealthy fear of them.

Just take a picture of the back of the box so people -see- the lack of barcode. Voila.
    Actually, it has a barcode – it's just that it reads 000000000000.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)