Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The ultimate Sega Genesis and Sega CD console! Which model is your favorite?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Default The ultimate Sega Genesis and Sega CD console! Which model is your favorite?

I own a Nomad, a boxed complete model 1 Altered beast, genesis cdx (found this baby brand new for 75$ in a pawn shop!), and a JVC x'eye. I do not own a model 2 and 3. So which one should I leave in my entertainment room permanently? Which ones have better sound and image overall? They all have their pros and cons. The model 1 and x'eye looks sexy, the cdx and nomad are cool and kind of rare, the x'eye and cdx are convenient for sega cd and genesis running on one power supply, model 1 sounds awesome, model 1 + sega cd model 1 look sweet but has slow loading times, model 2 + sega cd model 2 is rather large (but is the image and sound better?), model 1 has rainbow banding, cdx takes less shelf space etc etc!!!
    My favorite overall is the X'eye, but that model 1 is so SSSEXXY Whats yours and why?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I think fucntionality-wise The model 1 (High definition graphics labeled) paired with the Sega CD 2 is the best choice. That dumb extension piece that connects to the edge of the Sega CD 2 is unneccesary and pretty much useless so I wouldn't worry about tracking it down.

I never had an X'Eye or CDX though so I don't know how good their audio or video is.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Functionally the launch model 1 is the best for quality, it's the only one that's fully compatible with all games as there's no licensing screen. The model 2 Sega CD is probably the best in reliability. I don't really have a favourite combination, I own multiple systems and enjoy playing all of them. I don't keep any system hooked up all the time for space reasons, I can choose which one to hook up when I want to play something. I don't have a CDX or X'EYE though, not yet.

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Model 1 launch Genesis and any SEGA CD unit besides the model 1 SEGA CD. Those things are hell to keep working.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

All i have is a model 1 with a model 2 sega cd.As for the x'eye or sega cdx i don't know since ive never owned either.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

I've got a CDX and a Model 1 Genesis/Model 2 CD unit and I far prefer the CDX just due to portability and helping to cutdown on the wire mess that a Genesis/CD/32x can bring.

Its a ton of fun taking it over friends places and just having a blast with the Genesis library. Its super easy to just unhook the CDX(and/or 32x) from my RGB setup here and quickly hook it into whatever TV at their place using spare composite cables. I haven't done any comparisons between the two setups but i didn't notice any huge differences in sound or image quality between the two regardless of the input to the TV. If anyone is a Genesis fan I highly suggest both if they play with friends or not or are just interest in the novelty of it. I was surprised to fine a AA battery slot on the back of the machine, I'm guessing you could use it as a portable CD player if you really wanted too back in the day but still cool feature.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Yeah stay far away from model 1 sega cd units, Ive had 2 that have died on me, then Ive purchased about 4 others that were broken when I got them. Total waste of money, of course these were all found at goodwill or flea markets.
    Ive had multiple model 2 sega cds, and they all have worked fine. The model 2 sega cd is probably the best choice, seeing as you can connect it to a model 1 non-tmss genesis and get rgb output from the genesis, and probably the best sound output.

I would say that the X-Eye is a better choice than the sega cdx. The cdx is very fragile and Ive had one break on me. I have 2 X-Eyes and they work really well all around. People say that the cdx is better because you can use it as a portable cd player, but nobody would really do that. Generally because the Model 2 sega cd is half the price of the XEye, thats probably the way to go if your looking for something to play on a regular basis

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

LaserActive 4 Life!

It's actually quite useful if you don't want to go too crazy hooking stuff ups since you can use play both Sega and PCE games on the same unit.

However, I do keep a Model 1 Genny with a Model 2 Sega CD and 32X hooked up at all time. 32X gives me better video, and the rest of the setup is rock solid when it comes to reliability.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    LaserActive 4 Life!

It's actually quite useful if you don't want to go too crazy hooking stuff ups since you can use play both Sega and PCE games on the same unit.

However, I do keep a Model 1 Genny with a Model 2 Sega CD and 32X hooked up at all time. 32X gives me better video, and the rest of the setup is rock solid when it comes to reliability.
    Model 1 + sega cd + 32x = costly electricity bill !

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have a non TMSS HDG Genesis, but these days I just use my X'Eye!

Insert Coin (Level 0) cholkavich's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cholkavich
    PSN
    Cholkavich

Model 1 Genesis + Model 1 Sega CD + 32x + Wireless Controllers = MEGAZORD!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

I was trying to decide the same thing a while back and I decided that I was going to use a model 2 Genesis with the 32X and a model 2 Sega CD while using my model 1 Genesis to play Genesis games. I like the looks of the model 1 and all that other crap just breaks up the looks, plus that how I remember playing Genesis games. And well, I'm a sucker for nostalgia. I'll admit it, I weird. However, I saw something I would be interested in doing, but it would take a lot of skill that I don't really have. He called it the Neptune mod. It was a model 2 Genesis with a 32X molded into the top. That way you didn't have the 32X towering out of the top. It had the same profile as the model 2 but played Genesis and 32X games. It also only used one A/C adapter for the two. Then I would pair that with the model 2 Sega CD.

Probably not going to happen though. Maybe I could pay Wiggy to do it?
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    Model 1 + sega cd + 32x = costly electricity bill !
    Haha, it's not that bad for me. I normally have all my systems off power strips so they don't draw current unless I flip that switch. When stuff it on though, the room does get a bit toastier than the rest of the house though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

SEGA or Victor version 1 Wondermega.

__________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had all base models of the Genesis. I use a CDX now, and I find that it beats the video quality of all the other base (1,2,3) systems.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd go with the JVC X'Eye. Cool system that has the genesis and sega cd combined with no proprietary A/Vs just the standard Y/R/W. It even works with the 32x! It might just be me but visually the video quality looks better via composite over a genesis 1-3, this might be because of them requiring the proprietary plug.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zebular View Post
    I'd go with the JVC X'Eye. Cool system that has the genesis and sega cd combined with no proprietary A/Vs just the standard Y/R/W. It even works with the 32x! It might just be me but visually the video quality looks better via composite over a genesis 1-3, this might be because of them requiring the proprietary plug.
    I know the japanese Wondermegas have native s-video out. The JVC X'Eye is the US version of the Victor Wondermega version 2. I've got the JVC X'Eye somewhere, but I don't recall if it had s-video out. However the japanese SEGA Wondermega and Victor Wondermega version 1 look so much nicer than the X'Eye imho.

Last edited by StealthLurker; 02-16-2013 at 12:57 AM.
    __________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Don't model 2 SegaCD's sometimes have problems with a few games? Like one of the Lunar games?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The original SEGA and Victor Wondermegas are gorgeous, but the downside is they're one of the few Genesis models that don't output RGB. Even Wondermega 2/X'Eye output RGB, but they're uglier from a pure aesthetic standpoint.

The perfect Mega Drive is an RGB modded Wondermega 1 IMO. Fashion, and function!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm running a JVC X'EYE and love it. I have nothing to compare it to though.

sadly, mine doesn't have s-video out, but some do.