Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aliens Colonial Marines review, oh boy.... didnt expect such a LOW score

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Default Aliens Colonial Marines review, oh boy.... didnt expect such a LOW score

47 metascore... im speechless. This was my most wanted game this year, and I expected a AAA game from gearbox. Duke nukem still has an higher metascore than this. This is also bad news for wii U, because when its launched in march gamers will know its a POS game, and sales will be awful. Game companies will look at the sales data on wii U and wont bother porting their games to wii U (hello crysis and far cry). I know I will be picking this game when it hits the bargain bin because im a huge fan of Aliens franchise, but really didnt expect this. Also did you see the review from EGM??? they gave it a 9.0!! the reviewer must have been paid, for such a high scoring review when it gets an average of 47 from 27 critics.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I have no words.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bayonette 2 is way more anticipated than this game. One game that isnt made by Nintendo isnt going to make people think the Wii U is dead 4 MONTHS AFTER LAUNCH! Besides, not all people who buy games look up reviews of them before they buy them.

People need to stop fucking saying this system is a goner, its not the Saturn for god sake. How long was it till Final Fantasy 7 came out on the PS1??? 2 years!

Just wait till the PS4 and 720 have DRM, then see how well the Wii U starts to sell.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

20 years ago, we all used to cringe when licensed games were released. Probably never should have stopped, eh? Like Duke Nukem, how many developers went through this game? It's no wonder it might be a mess. There aren't that many Alien fans, and does this kind of game appeal to non-Alien diehards? Few of the previous entries Acclaim always seemed to make did not.

What does the Wii U have to do with it? The game was released on everything else as well, most definitely with the same bugs. No pun intended.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    Duke nukem still has an higher metascore than this.
    And that right there is beyond sad.

Also did you see the review from EGM??? they gave it a 9.0!! the reviewer must have been paid, for such a high scoring review when it gets an average of 47 from 27 critics.
    Not all people think alike and thus the same is true for reviewers. While it's been well documented that some sites have purposely inflated review scores due to advertisement support in the past, I don't think thats the case in this situation. But I'm surprised that EGM is still even alive.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Insert Coin (Level 0) LordsOfSkulls's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    LordsOfSkulls
    PSN
    LordsOfSkulls

i knew they going to screw this game up and going to be bad moment i saw the title ;p

No one can make a decent Aliens Game....

Honestly they should just make it Horror Style like as it was Resident Evil 2 (back it was still more horror and some action)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LordsOfSkulls View Post

No one can make a decent Aliens Game....
    Er... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens_...r_(video_game)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm under the impression that Borderlands was good (I need to actually look at those two games someday since I don't have a clue even what genre they're in), but it's sad just how far downwards in general it seems Gearbox has gone in recent years.

I loved their two PC expansions for Half-Life, thought they did an excellent job porting Half-Life over to the PS2, and loved the Brothers in Arms trilogy. But since then all they've done is take the Brothers in Arms franchise in a horrible new direction, licensed it out to anyone willing to pay to slap the name on their latest mobile game, allowed the original two games to be shoddily ported over to the Wii, fulfilled expectations by Duke Nukem Forever living up to the low review scores most people expected, and now seemingly this after several years of development.

I have no interest in the franchise but really thought I'd eventually buy this just because it was a Gearbox first person shooter.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The unique weapon system, RPG level up system, and the co op is what makes Borderlands. If it didn't have any of that it'd be a pretty boring FPS.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    LordsOfSkulls
    PSN
    LordsOfSkulls

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    ;p let me rephrase that....

that ones is Aliens and Predator.... but making a Pure Aliens Game is what many people have problem with. Mostly because developers try to make it too much ACTION....

Heck if they made it Survival Horror focus more O.o i think we would have a decent shot....

Dead Space + Aliens = What you need.

Too many developers focus on too much on Action part and is what bores players cause their many FPS and alot of them are better made ;p people need to make some Unique aspect to a game to make it stand off from others.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Perhaps the only decent Aliens related game was the Electric Dreams (NOT Activision) release on the C64...?

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I have no words.
    I was passing that around on a few forums yesterday as I know the guy who produced it... evidently it's gotten even further audience since...!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    47 metascore... im speechless. This was my most wanted game this year, and I expected a AAA game from gearbox. Duke nukem still has an higher metascore than this. This is also bad news for wii U, because when its launched in march gamers will know its a POS game, and sales will be awful. Game companies will look at the sales data on wii U and wont bother porting their games to wii U (hello crysis and far cry). I know I will be picking this game when it hits the bargain bin because im a huge fan of Aliens franchise, but really didnt expect this. Also did you see the review from EGM??? they gave it a 9.0!! the reviewer must have been paid, for such a high scoring review when it gets an average of 47 from 27 critics.
    Oh yes, because we all know that reviews are the gospel and if you dare to disagree with popular opinion, you couldn't possibly feel that way legitimately. See, this is what pisses me off about the modern gaming scene, that attitude that if reviews say a game is awful it must be and many people won't even bother playing the game themselves to see if it's true. They just parrot the review scores as if they mean something and look down their noses at the folks who actually enjoy it. You know what I'm talking about. We've all encountered those kinds of snobs. This is exactly why gaming will never be taken seriously by the general public.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I bought it for the pc last night, and it's a perfectly fine game. It's an fps that's no better or worse than metro 2033, which was a very highly regarded game.

A:cm uses a checkpoint system, and you can't save whenever you want like doom. The distance between checkpoints is pretty far, meaning, gasp, you have to play well in order to advance. As fans of old school games, we should be happy about that. A game that doesn't play itself? And it requires you to develop some skill? Who do they think they are?

And it has moments of suspenseful tension mixed with loud, fast action. In fact, the opening scene where you're walking through the umbilical connecting to the sulaco is pretty awesome in a bioshock/dead space kind of way.

The only problem with the game is that it's just an fps. It doesn't reinvent the wheel, but it's well made, and I'm enjoying it.

These reviews are written by kids who want everything to play like halo and assassins creed. Keep that in mind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    LordsOfSkulls
    PSN
    LordsOfSkulls

i am waiting for Monster Hunter Next month and the next Metro Light (been waiting for years)

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    I was passing that around on a few forums yesterday as I know the guy who produced it... evidently it's gotten even further audience since...!
    You can tell him that if nothing good ever comes of this game, that clip will likely live in infamy. It's fucking brilliant.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retroguy View Post
    Oh yes, because we all know that reviews are the gospel and if you dare to disagree with popular opinion, you couldn't possibly feel that way legitimately. See, this is what pisses me off about the modern gaming scene, that attitude that if reviews say a game is awful it must be and many people won't even bother playing the game themselves to see if it's true. They just parrot the review scores as if they mean something and look down their noses at the folks who actually enjoy it. You know what I'm talking about. We've all encountered those kinds of snobs. This is exactly why gaming will never be taken seriously by the general public.
    Exactly! Also, if the OP really cared about the game he would buy it and support it now instead of waiting....that's part of the problem also.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I know some of you have been saying there is no good Alien games, but I enjoyed the old arcade Aliens game, and I also enjoy Alien Trilogy on the Saturn. I haven't played many more than those that I can remember.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    I know some of you have been saying there is no good Alien games, but I enjoyed the old arcade Aliens game, and I also enjoy Alien Trilogy on the Saturn. I haven't played many more than those that I can remember.
    Konami aliens is awesome. I have the pcb. Also, alien 3 on the snes is fairly interesting. It's a metroid-Vania style games.
    Last edited by Graham Mitchell; 02-13-2013 at 11:26 AM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Exactly! Also, if the OP really cared about the game he would buy it and support it now instead of waiting....that's part of the problem also.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

This might be the dumbest argument I have seen posted here in a very long time. Games aren't free. Buying this particular game will set you back $60 plus tax in many areas. Because of that fact, many of us check reviews and check with fellow gamers who have actually played something before we drop that kind of cash. I guess you must be independently wealthy if you have the ability to buy every game that comes out. So, please tell us, how is Aliens Colonial Marines? What is great about it? Are there any problems with it?

Frankly, I'm tired of all the snobs who constantly attack reviews as if they are all universally poorly written and irrelevant. The beauty of metacritic and the reason the industry puts so much weight into its scoring system is that it's a cross section of reviews. Gamers can quickly see the spread of scores and based on that have a good initial impression of the quality of a particular game. Is metacritic the be all end all of whether a game is good or not? Of course not, but in a marketplace where literally dozens of console games are being released each month, it helps to cut through the clutter and the publisher funded hype.

As for games being taken seriously, the gaming industry is a multi billion dollar industry and it has been taken seriously for a very long time. Some of the largest corporations in the world like Sony, Microsoft and Warner Bros. all have significant investments in gaming. Similarly, gaming has been a part of pop culture since the 1970s. Just because gamers and the general public don't sit around in smoking jackets with pipes in hand discussing the artistic merits of the latest FPS doesn't mean that it's not taken seriously as a cultural and economic force.