Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aliens Colonial Marines review, oh boy.... didnt expect such a LOW score

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LimitedEditionMuseum View Post
    Exactly! Also, if the OP really cared about the game he would buy it and support it now instead of waiting....that's part of the problem also.
    Really? So we should just buy every game out there at full price whether it's good or not? I literally can't believe the stupidity being spewed in this thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    This might be the dumbest argument I have seen posted here in a very long time. Games aren't free. Buying this particular game will set you back $60 plus tax in many areas. Because of that fact, many of us check reviews and check with fellow gamers who have actually played something before we drop that kind of cash. I guess you must be independently wealthy if you have the ability to buy every game that comes out. So, please tell us, how is Aliens Colonial Marines? What is great about it? Are there any problems with it?

Frankly, I'm tired of all the snobs who constantly attack reviews as if they are all universally poorly written and irrelevant. The beauty of metacritic and the reason the industry puts so much weight into its scoring system is that it's a cross section of reviews. Gamers can quickly see the spread of scores and based on that have a good initial impression of the quality of a particular game. Is metacritic the be all end all of whether a game is good or not? Of course not, but in a marketplace where literally dozens of console games are being released each month, it helps to cut through the clutter and the publisher funded hype.

As for games being taken seriously, the gaming industry is a multi billion dollar industry and it has been taken seriously for a very long time. Some of the largest corporations in the world like Sony, Microsoft and Warner Bros. all have significant investments in gaming. Similarly, gaming has been a part of pop culture since the 1970s. Just because gamers and the general public don't sit around in smoking jackets with pipes in hand discussing the artistic merits of the latest FPS doesn't mean that it's not taken seriously as a cultural and economic force.
    Yes.

That is all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bojay, I don't know how Colonial Marines is because I haven't played it, but I'm not simply going to agree that it's a terrible game just because all the reviews say it is, as you seem to be doing. Don't be such a sheep. Think for yourself once in awhile. If a game looks interesting to me, I'll check out a Lets Play or other similar walkthrough to see if it's something I think I might enjoy. Why? Because LPers aren't being paid to do it as far as I know, so I would imagine that their perspective is closer to the average joe than any review would be and therefore more honest and less stuck-up. Remember, negativity sells. More often than not, professional reviewers of any media have a tendency to emphasize flaws in a work while downplaying or outright ignoring any good aspects. That's why I have a hard time taking them seriously as journalists.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retroguy View Post
    Bojay, I don't know how Colonial Marines is because I haven't played it, but I'm not simply going to agree that it's a terrible game just because all the reviews say it is, as you seem to be doing. Don't be such a sheep. Think for yourself once in awhile. If a game looks interesting to me, I'll check out a Lets Play or other similar walkthrough to see if it's something I think I might enjoy. Why? Because LPers aren't being paid to do it as far as I know, so I would imagine that their perspective is closer to the average joe than any review would be and therefore more honest and less stuck-up. Remember, negativity sells. More often than not, professional reviewers of any media have a tendency to emphasize flaws in a work while downplaying or outright ignoring any good aspects. That's why I have a hard time taking them seriously as journalists.
    The only sheep here is you. Rather than applying logic or rational analysis, you are grouping all professional reviewers into a biased, industry paid category which doesn't apply to most of them in my experience. I believe reviewers have an obligation to point out flaws in a game, especially when they impact playability and fun.

Unlike yourself, I have actually read many of the negative and positive reviews the game received over the past few days and I found most of the reviews to be actually very balanced with even some of the very negative ones making positive remarks about certain aspects of the game. The fact that other gamers who actually own and have played the game are echoing many of the criticisms is even stronger support for the idea that there is something to the bad reviews. Having said all that, I'm sure there are some people who will enjoy the game just like there are people that enjoy every critically and user panned game, movie, TV series, etc.... That doesn't mean they are wrong or that the reviewers and wrong, but like I said earlier, I don't have unlimited time or financial resources and there are so many great games, movies, television series, books and every other form of entertainment out there that I'm not gonna waste it on something like this game that is expensive and unlikely to keep me entertained.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    Also, alien 3 on the snes is fairly interesting. It's a metroid-Vania style games.
    I was going to mention this. Alien 3 is a great game. There's also Aliens Infestation that I haven't played yet but looks pretty good.

Alien 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOQhzwDoJA4

Quote Originally Posted by retroguy View Post
    Oh yes, because we all know that reviews are the gospel and if you dare to disagree with popular opinion, you couldn't possibly feel that way legitimately. See, this is what pisses me off about the modern gaming scene, that attitude that if reviews say a game is awful it must be and many people won't even bother playing the game themselves to see if it's true. They just parrot the review scores as if they mean something and look down their noses at the folks who actually enjoy it. You know what I'm talking about. We've all encountered those kinds of snobs. This is exactly why gaming will never be taken seriously by the general public.
    I agree with Retroguy on both accounts. While if I find out something I'm interested in has really bad review scores I'll end up waiting for the game to hit $20 or less before I purchase it, but just because it gets unanimous praise or unanimous hate, doesn't mean the game is good or bad. Some highly rated games like Assassin's Creed 3 get hated by a majority of players while some poorly rated titles get praised by a majority of players.

The gaming community is pretty bad about this. People hear a game sucks, maybe from a certain developer, etc, and they go around stating the game sucks, rating the game on Metacritic, Gamefaqs,low scores, etc. Dead Space 3 recently came out and apparently it's getting large amounts of hate on two fronts. First, it's developed by EA, and second, there's changes to it. Despite the ability to have co op, new weapon system, etc, the game is still very much like the other two Dead Space games. The new Devil May Cry gets bashed as being a crappy game because of its differences. Same with Lords of Shadow. Not just bashed though, just constant posts about how the games suck even though the people haven't played them. Metacritic scores raped by users who jump on there and give it a 1/10. The damage to these games have already been done with people jumping on the hate train and spreading rumors that the games are bad.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 02-13-2013 at 01:27 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I was going to mention this. Alien 3 is a great game. There's also Aliens Infestation that I haven't played yet but looks pretty good.

Alien 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOQhzwDoJA4
    Aliens infestation is cool, but the ending was a bit weak. I'm not sure I did everything correctly, though, and it may have multiple endings like symphony of the night. I need to throw it in again.

But for an ambient action/exploration game it's pretty solid.

Back on topic though, both bojay and retro guy ave valid points. Reviews do indicate where games have problems, but I've also really enjoyed many games that received lackluster ratings. I thought Alice:madness returns was pretty cool, and the syndicate reboot deserves much more credit than it got. It's better than the new deus ex, anyway. I also would've given deadly premonition a 10.

But that's me, that's my taste. I think everybody's experience with games is subjective to some degree, and you may miss something really cool if you avoid everything that got a bad review.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

That doesn't mean they are wrong or that the reviewers and wrong, but like I said earlier, I don't have unlimited time or financial resources and there are so many great games, movies, television series, books and every other form of entertainment out there that I'm not gonna waste it on something like this game that is expensive and unlikely to keep me entertained.
    Not only that ... most of us have been consumers since quite a few years, or 25 years in my case, and I have learned to read between the lines written in some very negative or very positive reviews.

When almost all the press agrees on something, you have to wonder why and the best thing to do before spending 59.99 usd on a crappy game, you better read a website o check if one of your trusted reviewers have written about it.
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So I never even knew this game existed, so I'm not angry like everyone else, but I just saw this video and now I know what you all must be feeling right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z2qV...ature=youtu.be

The question they ask is this; what happened? My only guess is that they designed it on PC, realized they had to downscale it severely for consoles, and then made the PC version a port of the console version. what else would account for such a large drop in quality?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

...I literally can't believe the stupidity being spewed in this thread.
    Lot of that going on lately.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I saw some reports that Gearbox proper didn't make this, they farmed it out to another developer. Anyone have any insight on that?

Gearbox's games aren't exactly bug-free, in my experience. Still, nothing was as bad as that video in the first post (... well, maybe the floating and stuck enemies I saw in 2.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    I saw some reports that Gearbox proper didn't make this, they farmed it out to another developer. Anyone have any insight on that?

Gearbox's games aren't exactly bug-free, in my experience. Still, nothing was as bad as that video in the first post (... well, maybe the floating and stuck enemies I saw in 2.)

That's true, they outsourced; check this out:

http://t.co/la7K4pg2
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    Duke nukem still has an higher metascore than this.
    "Game over man, game over". What, someone had to say it.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post

I have no words.
    This instantly reminds me of THIS!

Insert Coin (Level 0) LordsOfSkulls's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    LordsOfSkulls
    PSN
    LordsOfSkulls

Quote Originally Posted by Collector_Gaming View Post

ha that made me laugh X)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wingzrow View Post
    So I never even knew this game existed, so I'm not angry like everyone else, but I just saw this video and now I know what you all must be feeling right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z2qV...ature=youtu.be

The question they ask is this; what happened? My only guess is that they designed it on PC, realized they had to downscale it severely for consoles, and then made the PC version a port of the console version. what else would account for such a large drop in quality?
    To see grown adult men react to a video game that way bothers me.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LimitedEditionMuseum View Post
    To see grown adult men react to a video game that way bothers me.
    What are you even talking about? I watched this video after you posted expecting some outrageous and immature video. Instead, I ended up watching a very rational and well done comparison of what was shown as the demo and what the same area ended up looking like in the final game. It bothers you that grown adult men can use logic and reason to expose the fact that the demo was a fraud and the final game was of much lower graphical quality?

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I spent more time with the game tonight. Still don't see what the problem is. It's thoroughly enjoyable. I have a feeling a lot of the changes you're seeing in that video were done to make the game darker. It's very dark in parts, which makes it disorienting, but in a good way.

There are parts that have some really nice lighting effects despite what the video shows.

The pacing is good too. Intense action is interspersed with quieter exploration segments. That's when you can really appreciate the environment.

I really don't get why this game is getting so much heat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After playing the game, I think I might go back to playing Duke Nukem Forever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Rock, Paper, Shotgun ripped it apart: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...r/#more-142095

When my time frees up after Saturday (6 weeks of near every night play practice and then shows-no time for nothin') I might look at this closer. I find Duke Nukem Forever to be an average but entertaining romp so who knows?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Collector_Gaming View Post

That's the joke.

Anyway, I was watching a friend play this game yesterday, it doesn't look that bad.