Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aliens Colonial Marines review, oh boy.... didnt expect such a LOW score

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"......and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Insert Coin (Level 0) danawhitaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And now, some more fun from Aliens Colonial Marinesville:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...ns-cm-bug.aspx

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

I would love to play a good Aliens game, unfortunately it seems I'll have to continue waiting. Is this game absolutely terrible? Probably not, but it doesn't look so great, so I most likely won't be getting it. Oh well.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by M.Buster2184 View Post
    I would love to play a good Aliens game, unfortunately it seems I'll have to continue waiting. Is this game absolutely terrible? Probably not, but it doesn't look so great, so I most likely won't be getting it. Oh well.
    On the pc it's perfectly fine. I think the problems people are having are with the console ports.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No it's not. It's just as big of a piece of crap on the PC as it is on any other system it was released on.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Yes, Destructoid's Jim Sterling reviewed the PC version and gave it 2.5 of 10, and said console versions were far worse. Adam Sessler gave it 2 out of 5, which is really bad coming from him.

I think the consensus is that this is little more than an Aliens mod/skin thrown on top of a FPS engine.

http://revision3.com/destructoid/ps4...-leaked-photos

Destructoid reported that people are upset also because what was advertised at E3 is NOT what they released. Also, rumors SEGA is furious with Gearbox.
    Last edited by Greg2600; 02-16-2013 at 01:21 PM.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i guess no one can make the perfect Alien game. was looking forward to this one...again disappointed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Aliens Extermination seems ok.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know what? I enjoyed Duke Nukem Forever. It's was like Frankenstein's monster - with various bits of the game older and more ragged than others. Ok, I played it on a PC and got it for about £5 which helped. When Aliens CM drops to around a fiver I may give it a go just to try and guess at what could have been. It is starting to seem like Borderlands was just a happy accident (considering that they completely overhaulded the graphics at the 11th hour I can think of no better explanation - something must have been wrong and they gambled).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think Gearbox just didn't care about this game.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    On the pc it's perfectly fine. I think the problems people are having are with the console ports.
    LMAO.

This game is bad on all systems. I have the Pc version and its no better than any other. Low textures, bad animation etc.

I am a self admitted Aliens franchise Fanboy. I tried so hard to like this game. But its really bad. Feels like a budget title.

I don't know how anyone could think this is good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The worst thing that was brought to my attention was how much money SEGA lost investing in this game. Money that could have been used to localize Yakuza 5, valkyria chronicles 3, etc. I bet this was the entire reason anarchy reigns was pushed back 8 months for america. If you think about it, this single game ruined like 5 other games, and even pushed back stuff like the sonic all stars racing DLC.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I think Gearbox just didn't care about this game.
    They get an F on this one. Embarrassing failure.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wingzrow View Post
    The worst thing that was brought to my attention was how much money SEGA lost investing in this game. Money that could have been used to localize Yakuza 5, valkyria chronicles 3, etc. I bet this was the entire reason anarchy reigns was pushed back 8 months for america. If you think about it, this single game ruined like 5 other games, and even pushed back stuff like the sonic all stars racing DLC.
    Yeah. This game was announced in 2008 with a 2009 release but because Gearbox didn't start on it and asked for an extension Sega delayed it. According to one person who worked there, they didn't start working on the game until 2012 during the time they were working on Borderlands 2, outsourced to another company. Not only did Sega lose out on money they could have used during that time frame for other things, they lost out on future Aliens games that could have been released in 2010-2012 if this game had released on time. Even if this game sucked back in 2009, Sega still would have been able to put out another one. Maybe better, maybe not.

Sega really got screwed. They should file a lawsuit. Gearbox accepted the contract so they had an obligation. Instead of pushing Aliens back, they should have pushed their own projects back. The original Borderlands, Duke Nukem Forever which they acquired, and Borderlands 2.

We've recently been chatting with a developer who -- as you might have guessed -- wishes to remain anonymous. Under this condition, he agreed to let us publish the things he's witnessed personally and learned from fellow project members in the time he spent working on Colonial Marines.

Our man was involved with the game only briefly, between 2007 and 2008, but in just that short time he had some interesting reading for us. If his words are indeed to be believed, they further fuel the suggestion that Colonial Marines was increasingly sidelined for more "important" projects.

"Gearbox was taking people off the project to put them on Borderlands 1," he says of his time on the job. "This was before the big art style change happened on Borderlands. Our team was getting smaller by the month, making it very difficult to get the game made. Ironically several of the team members were ex-3D Realms people who were saying [paraphrasing] 'Finally, we're going to Gearbox to make Aliens, and we're going to ship a fucking game!' Hah."

According to our man with the inside track, it was later learned that SEGA actually canceled Colonial Marines, deciding to cut its losses after such a long development cycle.

"At some point in 2008, SEGA temporarily pulled the plug on the game," he said. "They caught wind of Gearbox shifting resources (despite still collecting milestone checks as if the team were full size) and lying to SEGA AND 2K about the number of people working on each project. This led to the round of layoffs at Gearbox in late 2008."

The developer confirms he later spoke with people attached to the project at the beginning of 2012, and learned they actually didn't expect the game to ship in February, given its current state. It would appear staff on the game knew the thing was a bust, and were prepared for a fresh delay. Obviously, that never happened, and now we're here.

Naturally, and like so much about this situation, information was provided on the hush-hush and cannot be taken as factual evidence of any wrongdoing on anybody's part. It is, however, yet another perplexing piece of the puzzle, one reflective of other things we've been hearing over the past week. Meanwhile, as SEGA and Gearbox both maintain a poker face, these whispered words are really all we have to go on.
    http://www.destructoid.com/developer...s-245986.phtml
    Last edited by kupomogli; 02-20-2013 at 05:03 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The fallout seems to be better than the game!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    The fallout seems to be better than the game!
    Didn't Bishop say something along the lines of a "mushroom cloud the size of Nebraska"? I'm getting that vibe here.
    The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"......and I'll look down, and whisper "no."