Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why is Snow Brothers for NES so rare?

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post
    The Megadrive version is worth playing but it light years rarer than the NES version. It's been reported that something like only 2,000 copies were ever sold in Japan so it's not affordable at all.
    Its more like at least 15-20,000. The acclaim Mega Drive titles were only released in the low 1,000s.

The price reflects the rarity. Snow Bros. can be had for like $85 bucks. Maximum Carnage or Batman Forever will cost you $3-500

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

My best guess looking back really is just that it's not so much rare, it's just fairly uncommon and sought by collectors and in turn highly sought even more by resellers, especially the predatory ones going for the highest margin possible for newbies who don't know better on one of their first scores. That game, Bubble Bobble 2, and many others for the longest time through the Funco period and after were like $20 bill titles if that. Funco you have to remember on quite a bit while still 'fair' priced were on the higher end a bit compared to other used shops that had to compete with the chain and private sellers too. I skipped on it back in the day, at times I wish I hadn't but I don't have an attachment to it, I did get Bubble Bobble Part 2 then w/the book for $20, back then paper and dust sleeves came with a game with no premium which I miss when that changed just a few years back. A thing to note with the game others said it is Capcom and stuff they put out in 1991 and after are high tier in the quality of audio, visual, and design which people really got into as they knew they had to compete with the 16bit trio in the market to get attention and the attention to detail in stuff like Gargoyle's Quest, disney sequels, and the rest show. I think it just is a mix of lower print run versus a Mario or a Mega Man, high quality, and the vicious cycle of reseller/buyer screwing each other using the last highest sold price to ask a couple bucks more.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Words iManifest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember borrowing this game off my friend around the time it came out and liking it quite a bit. A shame that his mom ended up selling all of his old stuff years and years ago. Believe me, I tried calling him and asking if he still had any of it, lol.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I remember I passed this game up a few times in a local store back in like 2003 for $30 loose. It was pretty high compared to most other NES games. If I had known the price would shoot up only a couple years later, I'd have made it a priority over other games (same with EVO).