Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heavy Rain is SO UNDERRATED!!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Arrow Heavy Rain is SO UNDERRATED!!

I just bought Heavy Rain for like $10 bucks on ebay, I have to say it was the best ten bucks I've ever spent. Do you remember those old adventure/horror books where you got to pick your own fate/ending? Well, this game is a lot like that. I was searching for a game that would fit how my idea of gaming should really be. I think this one fit quite well. Although it is your different type of game style, not only by the motion controlling, the 'choose your ending' style game play, but also the genre of the game. It's set up like a mystery/psychological thriller/action adventure that lets you pick your own ending depending on how you play your game. It's always fun to have your own unique story for your first time playing it, instead of being the perfect story. Sometimes it doesn't always turn out how you wanted it to go, but you can either just go with your mistakes and keep going or their is an option to replay your story point in the main menu. I can't believe how underrated this game really is. As you go along with your own unique story, you unlock rewards and other miscellaneous items about the production of the game, how the game was made, and storyboard artwork. The graphics are great, with lots of detail, especially with the facial expressions, body movement, and high technology equipment. The makers really put a lot of thought into the game for such great stories it told. I'm shocked that people don't rave about this game. 10/10

This game has motion control technology built into your ps3 remote, so it's very different to get the hang of. Not hard, just different. The game does have easy, medium, and hard modes to choose from if you like a bit of a challenge or if you don't play games that much and is just in it for the story. Either way, it's such a great story and mix of psychological emotions that makes you guess who's the real Origami Killer really is. With your motion censored controller you have to find clues, climb, drive, use new FBI technology to track down the killer, make insane decisions that effect your game, fight off your attackers, ect. Depending on your game play, you could use all of these and more.
    (Official Trailer)

(Extended Trailer)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotat...&v=dvWjRg31O9Y

The Main Story - You play as four protagonists involved with the mystery of the Origami Killer, a serial killer who uses extended periods of rainfall to drown his victims. You must find and stop the Origami Killer before he takes the life of his next victim using each of the four main characters.

The Characters -
    Ethan Mars -is trying to save his son from being the next victim, but after his first sons death and frequent blackouts that leaves him in the same place every time, leads him to think he could be the Origami Killer and the only way to find his son is to go though though his own hell to find him. Is Ethan Mars the Origami Killer or does the Origami Killer want him to think he's the Origami Killer?
    Madison Paige - An investigative journalist who has a nack for getting into trouble and starts to develop feelings for Ethan. Could a love affair play a role in this mystery of the capture of the Origami Killer?
    Norman Jayden - An FBI profiler sent out to investigate the murder victims, find clues, and track down the real killer while dealing with his own drug addiction. Is this all just an illusion, is Norman the Origami Killer, can he solve the murder case without the need of drugs?
    Scott Shelby - a private detective paid for the victims's parents. Can he solve the case on his own leads or will it lead to no where?

Each trying to track down clues to the Origami Killer's identity. The player can interact with the game by performing actions highlighted on screen related to motions on the controller, and in some cases, performing a series of quick time events during fast-paced action sequences. The player's decisions and actions during the game will affect the narrative. The main characters can be killed, and certain actions may lead to different scenes and endings.

Making of Heavy Rain - When you complete the game you will unlock bonus clips, exclusive storyboard artwork, videos, making of, voice actors, ect. The behind the scenes making of the game is really cool to see. They hired real live actors to get down the emotions of the characters as well as the live sequences for the fighting scenes. They wanted to make this game as realistic as possible. Even the actors look a great deal like the characters in the game, it's kind of spooky. It's great to take a look at though and hopefully more futuristic games like this one will be made.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8jW4pcFIjg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C_qcvooBxA

This video game also came with an extension pack only for the PS3 Network downloadable content. This was known as: Heavy Rain Chronicles: Episode One - The Taxidermist. The other chronicles had been cancelled after the first episode due to resources and time being allotted into adapting Heavy Rain to the Move system. The Taxidermist is included in the Heavy Rain Collector's Edition free of charge when activated via code, and the game on the Heavy Rain Move Edition without the need to download.
    The Taxidermist follows Madison Paige two years before the events of Heavy Rain as she investigates Leland White, a man suspected of being the Origami Killer. It's really worth to play this game, it's creepy in an old horror movie sequence like walking into a Texas Chainsaw movie. In my opinion it would be totally worth getting this one, it was quite fun to play. Really enjoyed it and I wish there was more episodes like it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN59PmBxZ70

Other Games by Quantic Dream -
    Omikron: The Nomad Soul
    Fahrenheit
    Heavy Rain
    Beyond: Two Souls
    Immortal

Quantic Dream's Upcoming Projects -
    As of March 2011, news suggest that one of Quantic Dream's next projects will be called Fiv5.

On August 4, 2011, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe filed a trademark for Infraworld, which was a project once in development at Quantic Dream, but was cancelled during the early stages of development. An easter egg inside of Heavy Rain showed a poster for Infraworld with Quantic Dream's logo at the bottom of the poster, which hints that Infraworld may be back in development and could be one of Quantic Dream's future projects.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO1UUctLU6Q

On March 7, 2012, Quantic Dream released a short film entitled "Kara", displaying their new game engine that uses new motion capture technology running on a PlayStation 3. The short, displayed in real time, revolves around a newly constructed Android named Kara (played by Valorie Curry) who presents a dilemma to her operator after discovering the ability to think. Director David Cage revealed the short was made over a year ago when the engine was in its early build. The developer's untitled engine is still in development and its features have been increased by 50 percent.

On June 4, 2012, at E3 Quantic Dream announced a new game called Beyond: Two Souls. It will be released in 2013.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NEup8y0g-Q
    [/COLOR]

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

Let me know what you think and what your first story was.

(Note: This thread may have spoilers in comment section)

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

People did rave about the game when it came out. It was very highly rated by the vg press.

Though I enjoyed it, I actually didn't find it that groundbreaking because, well, I've played dragons lair.

I think it gets a lot of high marks because the story is so compelling, but I didn't think it was much of a game. I know most people don't agree with me on that, but it's how I feel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's good, but it is a bit slow in places (and this coming from a fan)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I actually just beat this game for the first time this week and it really felt more like a souped up visual novel to me.

The sixaxis stuff was cool, but not too much to write home on. I guess I could see some replay value in the game but once you know who the killer is a lot of the tension is lost. Also, even though I got the Director's Cut glitches abound in this game.

My main complaint would be the voice actors, because the audio just sounded weird sometimes. I think it had to do with them all being from Europe, even though the game was set in the US. The only VA that really pulled me in was the Private Eye. The rest always sounded..... off.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really agree wit the creators thoughts that games shouldnt just be summer blockbuster types, and video games can do way more than they have before.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

I loved Heavy Rain, played it through to all the endings but never bothered to get the platinum trophy for it as it came out in February 2010, aka the time my (and a lot of people's) PS3s got confused by the lack of a leap year and ate most of the trophies I'd accumulated for that game. My only regret about the game is that they abandoned further dlc packs in favour of shoehorning in PS Move support, a concept so bad it's actually painful.

That said though, I'll be picking up Beyond, and if the rumours are true and they're extending Kara into a PS4 game called 'Singularity', I'll be picking that up as well.

If we're posting related videos in this thread, I'll leave you with this-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C_AGSzGef4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My copy is still sealed along with other countless games. I'll open it soon and play through it. The reviews are amazing for this game that's why I bought it. I wonder what I'll think of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Heavy Rain is overrated, no underrated

you should give yourself the chance to play a real gem of Quantic Dream: INDIGO PROPHECY .... it's SO MUCH BETTER than HR and when you finish it your opinion of HR will not be the same
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Agreed Heavy Rain is a masterpiece. Really pulls you in and tugs at you the whole time and gets you emotionally invested with the characters like only movies can do, but even more so as you struggle with the characters conflicts in real time.

Definitely one to be looked at on how to push gaming forward as a medium in general.

At least the medium needs to be evolved according to Roger Ebert, with whom I partly agree, yet not quite to the extreme that he goes when comparing motion pictures to videogames as an art form:

Roger Ebert: Nevertheless, I remain convinced that in principle, video games cannot be art. Perhaps it is foolish of me to say "never," because never, as Rick Wakeman informs us, is a long, long time. Let me just say that no video gamer now living will survive long enough to experience the medium as an art form.
    Guess he hasn't played Heavy Rain and whether any gamer wants to admit it or not being recognized as an art form comparable to films and books is a pretty necessary evolution for the medium to survive on a whole, doesn't mean you can't still play your Mario Bros. or Call fo Duty though, they just won't be considered "Criterion" material.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If barely interactive wannabe movies are 'pushing gaming forward as a medium in general' then I'm happy to go backwards.
    Games shouldn't have to rely on scripts and plots; they should have a premise and gameplay that allows the gamer to create his own plot.

That's not to say Heavy Rain isn't a worthwhile experience. I don't know if there are any other games like it for the current generation, and the production values are good. I just don't see limited interactivity and linearity as progress.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I never thought Heavy Rain was underrated, it always seemed to have high reviews.

I remember this article saying Deadly Premonition was better than Heavy Rain, saying Heavy Rain was overrated.
    http://www.destructoid.com/deadly-pr...n-165288.phtml

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes I enjoyed Heavy Quick Time Event....er, Rain very much. It's definitely not for everyone but I'm a sucker for a good story and this game had an amazing story. To date it's the only PS3 game that I have platinumed and I also got the Japanese import version and a promo copy from Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebagram View Post
    My only regret about the game is that they abandoned further dlc packs in favour of shoehorning in PS Move support, a concept so bad it's actually painful.
    I heard about that too and it sucks because furthering this story would have been quite enjoyable. I liked the extra dlc they released for Madison but I wish they would have added trophy support for it.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Insert Coin (Level 0) LordsOfSkulls's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    LordsOfSkulls
    PSN
    LordsOfSkulls

if you liked heavy rain.

Check out Indigo Prophecy Xbox/PS2 (i think u can play Indigo Prophecy on Xbox 360) or PC

Also next game coming out for PS3 Beyond:Twin Souls looks even more awesome =) than Heavy Rain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played this for like 2 hours and was very, very, bored.

I wanted it to be good.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by Nebagram View Post
    My only regret about the game is that they abandoned further dlc packs in favour of shoehorning in PS Move support, a concept so bad it's actually painful.
    Got this as a gift from the Mrs. a while ago, hadn't had a chance to play it yet but hopefully will this week.

Mine was the Greatest Hits version with the Move stuff included. I can't find it listed anywhere on the packaging, so maybe someone that has used it could shed some light.

Does using the Move control setup require the additional nun-chuck attachment thing, Or just the main glowing personal-massager thing?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd View Post
    gamer wants to admit it or not being recognized as an art form comparable to films and books is a pretty necessary evolution for the medium to survive on a whole, doesn't mean you can't still play your Mario Bros. or Call fo Duty though, they just won't be considered "Criterion" material.
    I think there are plenty of film makers and goers who dont think of films as art. There just has to be more people who make games as art. That hasnt been done enough, so it needs to really start happening. Ebert thinks that because of the interactive nature of games they arent art, but games have limited outcomes to your choices in them, so I think his argument can be nulled in the long term. To me, with the interactive nature of games they can make better stories than films, maybe as well as books tell them.

Oh yeah, Tropies, what a bunch of bs that is to me. I think those need to go.
    Last edited by IHatedSega; 02-14-2013 at 09:23 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    People did rave about the game when it came out. It was very highly rated by the vg press.

Though I enjoyed it, I actually didn't find it that groundbreaking because, well, I've played dragons lair.

I think it gets a lot of high marks because the story is so compelling, but I didn't think it was much of a game. I know most people don't agree with me on that, but it's how I feel.
    I'm glad you enjoyed it though. It does have a hard mode for a bit of a challenge. Maybe you could try that version? The story was really great for a game. I agree, it is more like a movie, although with the decision making and fast pasted button pressing, it made it suspenseful. You have to admit for a new ps3 game it was pretty good. I'm expecting some more like it though. Perhaps ps4 will be more adventure motion controller play and better games than the ps3. There is a lot of shooter games, although they are fun, they lack the story. Sometimes, you feel nothing for the character, which is great if you just want to have fun, like a zombie movie. But if you want a real classic game it has to have a great story in my opinion. I feel it's important to have these qualities in a game to make them legendary, kind of like classic horror films. I've never played Dragon's Lair, i'll check it out though. I just watched a video on it, the style is great I love it. It almost reminds me of a Black Cauldron movie mixed with game play. Thank you for the info.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    It's good, but it is a bit slow in places (and this coming from a fan)
    Could you explain a bit more?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Astrid.Hecate View Post
    I've never played Dragon's Lair, i'll check it out though. I just watched a video on it, the style is great I love it. It almost reminds me of a Black Cauldron movie mixed with game play. Thank you for the info.
    Don Bluth made Dragons Lair, so Disney animators did the artwork. HR is a big step forward from Dragon's Lair though since you have to move around the controller.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Dragons lair 1 and 2, as well as space ace are available on Blu ray, and will work on your ps3. You should check them out, astrid.hecate.

I don't know if I'll bite for beyond:two souls. Heavy rain and David cage's pretentious attitude haven't left me super impressed. Say what you want about fps games, but at least their big on interaction.