Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heavy Rain is SO UNDERRATED!!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Yeah, I actually just beat this game for the first time this week and it really felt more like a souped up visual novel to me.

The sixaxis stuff was cool, but not too much to write home on. I guess I could see some replay value in the game but once you know who the killer is a lot of the tension is lost. Also, even though I got the Director's Cut glitches abound in this game.

My main complaint would be the voice actors, because the audio just sounded weird sometimes. I think it had to do with them all being from Europe, even though the game was set in the US. The only VA that really pulled me in was the Private Eye. The rest always sounded..... off.
    Yeah, it's more of a story play kind of game, not your average shooter game like Battlefeild or Call of Duty. I think it's more like a story game..like those adventure/horror books that lets you pick your own ending. It wasn't annoying like Dragon Age, I mean Dragon Age is a good game but their is too much reading and not enough game play. And at least you don't have to read in Heavy Rain. I like that because you know how these games are getting with the print. They keep getting smaller and smaller I think. lol. I quite enjoyed the game for what it was and with such an incredible storyline it was priceless. I played the demo on the psn before buying it and the demo was great. It really drawled me in because I was looking for something more personal and make you keep questioning yourself. It was very psychologically intense.

I'm hoping in the near future, perhaps with the new ps4 coming out they will do more real adventure/horror/action games since a lot of ps3 games are shooter games. So, I think i'd be fair if they did some good storyline games with more things to do. For example Heavy Rain was a great starter game to kick off their company, but they should do more with it. I was thinking they could make the story more interactive and you have a point about knowing who the real killer is, it takes away the suspense..well, in saying that, perhaps they could make different killers based off of the game play that you chose. For instance, what decisions you make, it would effect the game to who became the killer. So every time you played, each ending would have a different killer. Does that make sense? I think then, this will make it more appealing to replay the game different times, with different endings. It's just a thought though.

The voice acting didn't really bother me at all, in fact I kind of liked it. I'm not sure if they were from Europe or not, perhaps they used different voice actors/actresses for the Directors Cut. I'd love to have though. You mentioned something about being a Private Eye, I saw a preview of a Rockstar game called L.A. Noire. You probabally know how Rockstar games go about if you've played any of the GTA series. lol. I've never played it but it looks okay, minus the graphics aren't perfect, but it looks like something you were talking about. Here's a link:

Thanks for your review.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post

I really agree wit the creators thoughts that games shouldnt just be summer blockbuster types, and video games can do way more than they have before.
    Thanks for the video response!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nebagram View Post
    I loved Heavy Rain, played it through to all the endings but never bothered to get the platinum trophy for it as it came out in February 2010, aka the time my (and a lot of people's) PS3s got confused by the lack of a leap year and ate most of the trophies I'd accumulated for that game. My only regret about the game is that they abandoned further dlc packs in favour of shoehorning in PS Move support, a concept so bad it's actually painful.

That said though, I'll be picking up Beyond, and if the rumours are true and they're extending Kara into a PS4 game called 'Singularity', I'll be picking that up as well.

If we're posting related videos in this thread, I'll leave you with this-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C_AGSzGef4
    I'm glad you enjoyed the game, it was great to play. It was different than most games out there today, which was nice for a change. I don't really play for trophies, although they are cool to get them and I can appreciate them to show how you can master a game and how well of a player you are to get a sense of how good the other player is. But it's really not my thing. I like them but not my thing. It's kind of like, you never used to have trophies and I don't need to show off to people how good of a gamer I really am. I play games because I like them and I can appreciate the concept of trophies but I don't play just for trophies lol. I think sometimes that's what people do, play for trophies and it's the wrong reason to play. lol. It's a blessing and a curse I guess. lol.

I agree what your saying about not continuing the chronicles. I really wish they kept doing them, but I guess they couldn't because of the ps3 Move going into game play. I'm not sure on that, but that's what I've gathered. I like the concept of move because it's different, as long as they keep the original controller, idk why but I can't stand using any other kind. I guess it's just because I grew up with Playstation and having a wii stick makes me wanna rage. Haha.

Thanks for the video clip, I haven't seen Derailed but i've herd good things about it. I don't think I can ever look at that guy the same ever again lol. Everytime I see him I think of that game.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GhostDog View Post
    My copy is still sealed along with other countless games. I'll open it soon and play through it. The reviews are amazing for this game that's why I bought it. I wonder what I'll think of it.
    Yeah, i'm the same way. I have a few games I have that I haven't opened yet. I mean I still have Assassins Creed III that I bought on Black Friday, that I haven't played yet. Still in the package lol. But let me know what you think of the game. I hope you enjoy it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eskobar View Post
    Heavy Rain is overrated, no underrated

you should give yourself the chance to play a real gem of Quantic Dream: INDIGO PROPHECY .... it's SO MUCH BETTER than HR and when you finish it your opinion of HR will not be the same
    I haven't herd any reviews about it. Like hardly anyone talks about it. I've asked people on ps3 if they have played it and only one person I know has played it, which was my step brother, whom I've never met, and he said it was really good so I tried it out and it was great. It's funny you say that, I actually just bought that game on ebay, still waiting for it to get here. I really liked HR so much, that I saw this looked a bit like it so, thought i'd try it out. Thanks for the tip! Can't wait to play Indigo Prophecy.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd View Post
    Agreed Heavy Rain is a masterpiece. Really pulls you in and tugs at you the whole time and gets you emotionally invested with the characters like only movies can do, but even more so as you struggle with the characters conflicts in real time.

Definitely one to be looked at on how to push gaming forward as a medium in general.

At least the medium needs to be evolved according to Roger Ebert, with whom I partly agree, yet not quite to the extreme that he goes when comparing motion pictures to videogames as an art form:

Guess he hasn't played Heavy Rain and whether any gamer wants to admit it or not being recognized as an art form comparable to films and books is a pretty necessary evolution for the medium to survive on a whole, doesn't mean you can't still play your Mario Bros. or Call fo Duty though, they just won't be considered "Criterion" material.
    Yeah I totally agree with you. This should be the new way of gaming. I MISS the old adventure games, i'm tired of all these shooter games. They are fun, but not much of a game lol.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    If barely interactive wannabe movies are 'pushing gaming forward as a medium in general' then I'm happy to go backwards.
    Games shouldn't have to rely on scripts and plots; they should have a premise and game play that allows the gamer to create his own plot.

That's not to say Heavy Rain isn't a worthwhile experience. I don't know if there are any other games like it for the current generation, and the production values are good. I just don't see limited interactivity and linearity as progress.
    Well, i'm just saying they should make more like it, give the games a variety of genres instead of all shooter games. Shooter games are fun, and online games are fun, but sometimes I just like to play games for itself. You like a lot of RPGs? Skyrim is a great game.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I never thought Heavy Rain was underrated, it always seemed to have high reviews.

I remember this article saying Deadly Premonition was better than Heavy Rain, saying Heavy Rain was overrated.
    http://www.destructoid.com/deadly-pr...n-165288.phtml
    I must have missed all the reviews, it just seems like no one ever talks about it or knows about it anymore. I watched this trailer/game play for the Deadly Premonition, it looks like it's a bit slow, but perhaps the game itself is good. Is this it?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFpYKx9m3NU

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LordsOfSkulls View Post
    if you liked heavy rain.

Check out Indigo Prophecy Xbox/PS2 (i think u can play Indigo Prophecy on Xbox 360) or PC

Also next game coming out for PS3 Beyond:Twin Souls looks even more awesome =) than Heavy Rain.
    Another person said the same thing. I'm defenetly looking forward to playing Indigo Prophecy when it comes though the mail. I've ordered it on ebay. The story looks great. I know i'm so looking forward to playing Beyond. Also, looking forward to the new Tomb Raider, i'm curious to see what they are going to do with it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    Got this as a gift from the Mrs. a while ago, hadn't had a chance to play it yet but hopefully will this week.

Mine was the Greatest Hits version with the Move stuff included. I can't find it listed anywhere on the packaging, so maybe someone that has used it could shed some light.

Does using the Move control setup require the additional nun-chuck attachment thing, Or just the main glowing personal-massager thing?
    No, you don't have to have the Move stick thing. Your controller already has built in motion control, so when you play you can just use your ps3 controller. You just move it the way it tells you to.
    Last edited by Astrid.Hecate; 02-14-2013 at 11:34 PM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eskobar View Post
    Heavy Rain is overrated, no underrated

you should give yourself the chance to play a real gem of Quantic Dream: INDIGO PROPHECY .... it's SO MUCH BETTER than HR and when you finish it your opinion of HR will not be the same
    Heavy Rain was a great game from beginning to end. Indigo Prophecy was a great game for most of the game, and the last few parts of the game sucked.

-

If you come across those that don't like Heavy Rain, you always hear that Heavy Rain doesn't have any gameplay. While it's true it lacks in the gameplay department, it clearly has gameplay, even if it is in confined locations that the game itself progresses you towards as well as a series of quick time events. People don't say Snatcher, King's Quest, Police Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, etc, doesn't have gameplay. Those games follow the exact same premise except they don't lead you automatically towards the next event. Heavy Rain is streamlined to where you don't have to keep going around in circles until you find the next location. Heavy Rain is also more detailed that if you do something wrong, it just affects the outcome rather than ending the game. In Police Quest 3, your first assignment is to bring in a naked guy in a park. You can shoot him at the very beginning which looks cool, but it's game over unless you club him in the stomach and cuff him. So Heavy Rain has its flaws, but it's a unique game in itself.

The other gameplay portion is the QTEs. Depending on how the game does it, I'm not really a fan of QTEs, however Heavy Rain is one of the games that does QTEs very well. First off, the gameplay is entirely comprised of QTEs. Whether it's using the right stick to open doors and pick up items, or it's repeatedly press between two buttons to get a character to run up a small hill, it's all you do during gameplay, during action sequences, etc. The other thing about the QTEs is that what's happening in the action and what you're required to press during a QTE is usually what you'd expect to press if you were to do this same action on another game. Not always, but usually, and because of this it sort of gives you the feeling that the actions you're taking are your own.

The storyline is amazing, though. The way the story develops, since you're the one in control of the characters and determining their fate, you care about these characters quite a bit more than you might have if you just saw it all in a movie.

Heavy Rain might be an easy game, but it's an amazing game. It'd be nice if Beyond Two Souls is as good and we don't just praise it on how great the graphics are, but from what we've seen, if that's the gameplay, it doesn't look very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KssKxul4VD4
    Last edited by kupomogli; 02-14-2013 at 11:57 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Heavy Rain was a great game from beginning to end. Indigo Prophecy was a great game for most of the game, and the last few parts of the game sucked.

-

If you come across those that don't like Heavy Rain, you always hear that Heavy Rain doesn't have any gameplay. While it's true it lacks in the gameplay department, it clearly has gameplay, even if it is in confined locations that the game itself progresses you towards as well as a series of quick time events. People don't say Snatcher, King's Quest, Police Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, etc, doesn't have gameplay. Those games follow the exact same premise except they don't lead you automatically towards the next event. Heavy Rain is streamlined to where you don't have to keep going around in circles until you find the next location. Heavy Rain is also more detailed that if you do something wrong, it just affects the outcome rather than ending the game. In Police Quest 3, your first assignment is to bring in a naked guy in a park. You can shoot him at the very beginning which looks cool, but it's game over unless you club him in the stomach and cuff him. So Heavy Rain has its flaws, but it's a unique game in itself.

The other gameplay portion is the QTEs. Depending on how the game does it, I'm not really a fan of QTEs, however Heavy Rain is one of the games that does QTEs very well. First off, the gameplay is entirely comprised of QTEs. Whether it's using the right stick to open doors and pick up items, or it's repeatedly press between two buttons to get a character to run up a small hill, it's all you do during gameplay, during action sequences, etc. The other thing about the QTEs is that what's happening in the action and what you're required to press during a QTE is usually what you'd expect to press if you were to do this same action on another game. Not always, but usually, and because of this it sort of gives you the feeling that the actions you're taking are your own.

The storyline is amazing, though. The way the story develops, since you're the one in control of the characters and determining their fate, you care about these characters quite a bit more than you might have if you just saw it all in a movie.

Heavy Rain might be an easy game, but it's an amazing game. It'd be nice if Beyond Two Souls is as good and we don't just praise it on how great the graphics are, but from what we've seen, if that's the gameplay, it doesn't look very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KssKxul4VD4
    I know you were just responding to someone else, but wow, thanks for that video! Looks amazing!

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

Cage is a pretentious narcissistic cunt who has added nothing to gaming. Just making shit versions of already existing genres and making it pure crap. He and his so called "games" are the most overrated piles of shit. IP is the worst thing I ever played and I played Superman 64,LJN games and own ET on Atari. I always wonder how shit like this sells but Shenmue was bought by no one.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    I played this for like 2 hours and was very, very, bored.

I wanted it to be good.
    Someone with taste and does nit buy into Cages Bullshit

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Astrid.Hecate View Post
    Could you explain a bit more?

Farenheit / Indigo Prophecy got moving an awful lot quicker. That whole section a the start of Heavy Rain where you have to (really slowly) walk around the apartment doing mundane stuff nearly had me turning the game off. It may be because I have played the former game quite a bit, so I aleady knew how the controls work.

My brother worked at Sony in Wavertree as a tester (before he got a real job) and can pretty much complete Heavy Rain in his sleep. They went through the initial release loads of times, then just when hey though it was all over, they had to do the Move version. When the move version was done they all got an email saying that they wouldn't be listed in the credits as testers because they were agency staff. I think that it is fair to say that he hates the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ryudo View Post
    Cage is a pretentious narcissistic cunt who has added nothing to gaming. Just making shit versions of already existing genres and making it pure crap..... I always wonder how shit like this sells but Shenmue was bought by no one.
    Ok, I thought The Nomad Soul / Farenheit / Heavy Rain were similar in game play to Shenmue! I though the dialogue system in the latter two was far superior, The Nomad Soul has an excellent open world and mixed gameplay styles. Ok, by the time HR came around Cage's head was getting worryingly far up his own arse, but let's not forget that Shenmue was a game that made me move crates, carry piles of books and hang about outside virtual nightclubs for ages waiting until 1am whilst asking every available passer by if they "know where SAILORS hang out?"

Now, I like Shenmue, don't get me wrong, but if anything it was even more plodding than HR in places. The main difference between the two (in my blinkered eyes) is that Shenmue was more open world, where as Farenheit and HR confined you to individual "scenes" (although he Nomad Soul was completely open world - so Cage can let you wander if he wants.)

Anyway, the sooner people realise that the later Tex Murphy series (Under a Killing Moon, Pandora and Overseer) represent the high point in adventure gaming (how good is that 3D engine for its time?) the better!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cage is a pretentious narcissistic cunt who has added nothing to gaming.
    The word pretentious is used too much in film. I think if you watch the video I posted earlier in this thread youd see he has his head on straight about video games. His speech had a lot in common with videos the Game Overthinker has made. Im going to play IP soon, I hope Ill like it, Im interested in the depressed character who may kill himself if you dont keep his level up, thats a cool character Ive never seen in a game.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    Farenheit / Indigo Prophecy got moving an awful lot quicker. That whole section a the start of Heavy Rain where you have to (really slowly) walk around the apartment doing mundane stuff nearly had me turning the game off. It may be because I have played the former game quite a bit, so I aleady knew how the controls work.

My brother worked at Sony in Wavertree as a tester (before he got a real job) and can pretty much complete Heavy Rain in his sleep. They went through the initial release loads of times, then just when hey though it was all over, they had to do the Move version. When the move version was done they all got an email saying that they wouldn't be listed in the credits as testers because they were agency staff. I think that it is fair to say that he hates the game.
    Oh, I see i'm sorry to hear that. I don't know, I thought it was interesting enough, to play the whole game and try the different endings. For a great starter game, I thought. For ten bucks, I really couldn't complain, I though it was great for the price. Also, for the game itself, a new type of gaming. Perhaps, in the near future they can do more like them, to improve the style of gaming. I'm getting kind of bored with shooter games. lol.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    Ok, I thought The Nomad Soul / Farenheit / Heavy Rain were similar in game play to Shenmue! I though the dialogue system in the latter two was far superior, The Nomad Soul has an excellent open world and mixed gameplay styles. Ok, by the time HR came around Cage's head was getting worryingly far up his own arse, but let's not forget that Shenmue was a game that made me move crates, carry piles of books and hang about outside virtual nightclubs for ages waiting until 1am whilst asking every available passer by if they "know where SAILORS hang out?"

Now, I like Shenmue, don't get me wrong, but if anything it was even more plodding than HR in places. The main difference between the two (in my blinkered eyes) is that Shenmue was more open world, where as Farenheit and HR confined you to individual "scenes" (although he Nomad Soul was completely open world - so Cage can let you wander if he wants.)

Anyway, the sooner people realise that the later Tex Murphy series (Under a Killing Moon, Pandora and Overseer) represent the high point in adventure gaming (how good is that 3D engine for its time?) the better!
    Very well said.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cage is a pretentious narcissistic cunt who has added nothing to gaming. Just making shit versions of already existing genres and making it pure crap. He and his so called "games" are the most overrated piles of shit. IP is the worst thing I ever played and I played Superman 64,LJN games and own ET on Atari. I always wonder how shit like this sells but Shenmue was bought by no one.
    Stop being a spoiled little rich troll.