Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are there no generic mass-produced power base converters yet?

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Why are there no generic mass-produced power base converters yet?

Okay, this is something I never got.

Companies have gone out of their way to make games playable on other systems they're not supposed to be playable on: The retroport for NES to SNES and the retrogen for Genesis to SNES are so common you can buy one off of WALMART, and someone even shoved a gameboy in a NES cart!

So what's got me confused is...why the heck hasn't anyone made any generic power base converters?

It's literally nothing more than building a connection with a different sized slot; SMS games ARE supposed to be played on a genesis, as the hardware is already there IN the genesis, so costs for manufacturing would be super-low. It's pretty much the same thing as the GameGear Master Gear, except WAY more useful and practical (actually playing SMS games on a TV screen instead of a tiny GG one).

I'm sure there's a lot of people who'd happily plunk down a $20 for a generic version of the PBC to avoid the hassle of using a master system to play SMS games or just save space/hookups as well as enjoy the audio upgrades the genesis hardware gives for a select few titles.

It's also likely there's likely more people who'd buy that than a generic master gear for the same price (more genesis owners than GG owners by far), and WAAAY more people that'd buy a generic one than spend crazy money on a SEGA official one if it worked just as well (and it'd have no reason not to).

So....why hasn't it happened yet?
    Last edited by recorderdude; 02-14-2013 at 02:55 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dashopepper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think because 98 percent of people have never heard of a Sega Master System.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually I was wondering the exact same thing a week ago while pining over the Power Base Converter sitting at the local used game store.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Insert Coin (Level 0) cholkavich's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cholkavich
    PSN
    Cholkavich

why not just buy the PBC? i could be wrong but the last time i checked they went for 25-30 bucks a pop. I could understand if you have a model 2 genesis though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cholkavich View Post
    why not just buy the PBC? i could be wrong but the last time i checked they went for 25-30 bucks a pop. I could understand if you have a model 2 genesis though.
    I believe the one I'm looking at comes attached to a Model 1 Genesis, and runs about $60. (they also have an actual Master System for $100. Yeah, they're a little over priced.

I don't think I've seen one on E-Bay for less then $40 or 50.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's simply not enough of a market for something like that, nothing more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    Maybe not in USA, but Europe is another story.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, there's certainly less of a market for gamegear master gears, and those are still sold. Yes, most of them are old stock, but apparently important enough for people to try to still sell them for what they sold them for ten years ago when the majesco gear was around, and, when they go up for a decent price, they actually do sell.

I can see some kind of retro distributor making a small run of power base clones to see if they sell and deciding whether or not to produce more after that, but I do agree it would be foolish to produce them in higher numbers and expect them to all move.

At this point, I'm wondering more than anything why companies haven't even tested the water, let alone stuck their foot in as far as this incredibly useful attachment goes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Europe in the early 90's, maybe.
    Is that what you mean?

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by recorderdude View Post
    So what's got me confused is...why the heck hasn't anyone made any generic power base converters?
    They did.

http://www.tototek.com/store/index.p...products_id=74

http://www.gameoz.com.au/consoles-re...-consoles.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    Maybe not in USA, but Europe is another story.
    No offense, but without the US market, nobody is going to develop a piece of hardware like this.

Quote Originally Posted by recorderdude View Post
    Well, there's certainly less of a market for gamegear master gears, and those are still sold. Yes, most of them are old stock, but apparently important enough for people to try to still sell them for what they sold them for ten years ago when the majesco gear was around, and, when they go up for a decent price, they actually do sell.

I can see some kind of retro distributor making a small run of power base clones to see if they sell and deciding whether or not to produce more after that, but I do agree it would be foolish to produce them in higher numbers and expect them to all move.

At this point, I'm wondering more than anything why companies haven't even tested the water, let alone stuck their foot in as far as this incredibly useful attachment goes.
    Keep in mind that the Master Gear and all the clones are essentially pass-through devices. It took very little work to bring them to market. Plus, it's doubtful that anyone is still producing them, and old stock is all that you see (as you pointed out). It may have been worth it at some point, but considering that there's a seemingly endless supply of old stock, it probably wasn't even viable when the GG was still on the market.

I can't. It would take WAY too much R&D to make a product like this to be worthwhile IMO. The problem with a "small run" is that you have to make up R&D, tooling, packaging and distribution, and any other costs incurred.

The thing is, there's no way to test the water by way of releasing a product. At that point, you've already spent the wad to make it happen, which is a pretty high risk game when you consider that this is a device to play games that weren't popular (in the US) on a console other than the one they were designed for. Testing the water in this instance would be lurking on forums, attending retro/classic game conventions, etc. in order to gauge interest. Based on the fact that this is the ONLY time I've ever seen someone bring it up, I'm guessing the market research would point to "DON'T DO IT!"

The reason that SNES and NES clones are on the market is that they are based on incredibly popular consoles. To make any money on a product like this you would have to sell at least 5-figure's worth. I SERIOUSLY doubt anyone could manage to sell 10K+ knock-off Power Base Converters.
    Last edited by wiggyx; 02-14-2013 at 07:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, if only they weren't sold out...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unless PBC are selling for big bucks these days, then it really isn't going to be worth it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Unless PBC are selling for big bucks these days, then it really isn't going to be worth it.
    They go for around $30-50 on average now, and they're pretty darned hard to come by in the wild. A good way to look at them is as SEGA's super gameboy, except the super game boy sold so well that it can still be found cheaply and there's no reason to make clones of it.

I'm surprised that those other clones went out of stock, though. Even though compressing the entire thing to a sonic and knuckles style lock-on cartridge is pretty nice, when the rare piece of plastic can cost LESS than the knockoff, I'd think more people would just go with the rare piece of plastic.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Keep in mind that the Master Gear and all the clones are essentially pass-through devices.
    So is the Power Base Converter. There's next to nothing inside a PBC, and most of that probably has to do with the wonkyness of having a cart slot and a card slot. Leave out the card slot (because seriously, who gives a shit about the cards) and it would be nearly as simple as a Master Gear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it's little more than a pass-through adapter, then that opens up some interesting possibilities.

Is there any technical reason why nobody ever made a 1000in1 SMS game cart for Genesis?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've actually seen some Korean Mega Drive multicarts that are actually just a bunch of master system games.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shoeshot View Post
    I've actually seen some Korean Mega Drive multicarts that are actually just a bunch of master system games.
    Yep, I have a bunch of them. I also have some single Master games ported to MD like Super Boy IV and Toto World 3.

Its actually quite easy to put a master system game on a megadrive/genesis board and make a reproduction that will function on the system without the use of a PBC.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wonder why no one has made the Game Gear equivalent to Super Game Boy.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    I wonder why no one has made the Game Gear equivalent to Super Game Boy.
    For the mega drive it might be possible. Master system no way. Some GG games can be ported to Master System but some can not due to the higher color palette or something....