Thread: Best Playstation 3 Racers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Best Playstation 3 Racers

What would you say are the best PS3 racers? I was looking into Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed but I don't think I need another kart-like game plus it's a bit pricey. I was also looking into Need for Speed: Most Wanted but it seems too much like Burnout Paradise only with real cars. I'll pass on it. I'll probably end up selling a handful of the racing games that I have since I have so many. I still have to even play some of them. Here is what I have:

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (Awesome arcade racer with real cars from the company that brought us Burnout 3, Burnout Revenge and Burnout Paradise. Probably my favorite PS3 racer right now and overall a very well made game. Online still active with players from all over the world).

Need for Speed: Shift (Just got it and haven't put much time into it. It looks awesome. Seems to have better graphics than Shift 2 according to the comparison videos).

Blur (Currently playing. Graphics not that great but manageable. I'll have to spend more time with it but may very well end up selling it).

Burnout Paradise (Still looks great but disappointed that it strayed from the Burnout 3 and Burnout Revenge formula. Glad online is still active. Now give us Burnout 3 HD already!).

Daytona USA (Digital download. Nice, bright and colorful graphics of the classic arcade racer in high definition and online play. You've all seen it in the arcades so you know what to expect. Wish we got Daytona 2 already).

Dirt 2 (Awesome game: a must-own for racing fans).

Fuel (Have not played it yet).

SSX (Need to spend more time with it).

Gran Turismo 5 XL Edition (Still sealed and not played).

GRID (Briefly tried it out. Seems like an awesome and must-own racer with great cars and driving physics. Shame there's no more online play).

Initial D: Extreme Stage (Japanese only import arcade port with Japanese text. Translation guide is available online. Still manages to get a handful of Japanese players online but I suck so bad at this game. Definitely wouldn't mind the latest arcade port to be released).

LittleBigPlanet Karting (Downloaded digital copy. Briefly tried it out and not sure why I bought it. May have to spend more time on it).

Modnation Racers (Have not played yet).

Pure (Have not played yet).

Ridge Racer 7 (Briefly played and seems fun. It's Riiiiiiiiiiidge Racer so hopefully you know what to expect here. Online play still available).

Sega Rally Revo (Driving physics seem really loose when the car is in third-person view but easier to control once in first-person view. Only did a few races so need to feel this game out more but it doesn't feel too special).

Used to own:

Dirt 3 (Was not thrilled by what I briefly played. Dirt 2 seemed better to me).

Split/Second (Graphics didn't look great and no real cars in the game. Seemed like a poor man's Burnout-like game with its own gimmick. I know many will disagree with that assessment. I have to admit I didn't play this game long and perhaps judged it too quickly).

Wangan Midnight (Japanese only release that did not capture me. English and Japanese text mixed in. What I really want is a Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune arcade port of the latest or previous installments. Can't believe these haven't been ported even in Japan).

Anticipating:

GRID 2 (Looks amazing from the videos. Codemasters and racing games go good together).
    Last edited by GhostDog; 02-20-2013 at 05:53 AM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Wipeout HD Fury. Starts off slow, venom speed, so everyone can get into it, but most people won't be able to race phantom very well, if at all. Great series.

Test Drive Unlimited 2. This is my favorite racer this gen. The only thing that disappoints me about this game is that compared to the original Test Drive Unlimited which had 200-300+ races scattered about the island, there's not nearly as many premade on this game, however, the island of Oahu which is on the original game is also in this game as well as the island of Ibiza. According to Wikipedia, the games asphalt and offroad totals to over 1864 miles of road.

This is a somewhat of a simulation style game with around 100 races, but you can play created player races or create your own. If you don't want to race, you can just drive around getting all roads located on your gps, find hidden wrecks, find certain locations to take pictures, edit your car with different stickers, edit your avatar, take random odd jobs like deliver a car to a location without too much damage, bring someone to a location in a certain time limit, etc.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I looked into getting Test Drive Unlimited 2 before. Maybe I'll give it a chance sometime. One racer that I wish I didn't miss out on was OutRun Online Arcade. I loved the Xbox games and having it on the PS3 would be sweet. They removed it due to licensing issues.
    Last edited by GhostDog; 02-17-2013 at 08:42 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Your location isn't listed, but unless you were European, your chances are as good now to still get Outrun Online Arcade on the PS3 as they were before. Since it was a Xbox 360 exclusive in North America, the only way to get it was to utilize the game share feature with a European that purchased it. You can still do it that way if you can find someone that bought it and is willing to share it since existing owner's can still redownload it. And since it was delisted right around the same time, most anyone that has it will have 5 activations instead of the new limit of 2 so there's always that chance you could find someone with a few activations left and willing to share.

And if you have any interest in Test Drive Unlimited 2, I suggest doing what I'm going to do soon. Buy it and play it now to enjoy it. The sequel wasn't nearly the sales success as the original was and that has been offline since last Fall now. And Atari's business situation right now also doesn't bode well. So enjoy it while you can since the online component is a large chunk of the game and when the servers get shut off that's it and you can only play single player.

Also, my favorite Dirt has been the original. That was the closest to a rally racer of the three. But if you want one with more variety, Dirt 3 is the way to go. It's everything Dirt 2 was but just with more of it. Grid's another fun arcadey racer from Codemasters. Had its share of issues but I played it to completion. An achievement was bugged on the 360 (Not sure about the PS3 but with the server turned off over there you can't go for trophy completion anyways) but the bigger problems were the heavy use of Mario Kart style rubber banding with the AI and severe physics issues with the open wheeler's and the LeMans prototypes.

And my favorite simcades of this generation haven't carried the Forza or Gran Turismo name but instead have been Codemaster's three HD Formula One releases to date. I'd suggest picking up F1 2011 if you at all enjoy motorsports. It's cheaper than F1 2012 will cost you and has a lot of subtle improvements over their first outing the year before with F1 2010 (And F1 2009 on the PSP/Wii the year prior was farmed out to Sumo Digital as was the Vita and 3DS versions of F1 2012 and are to be avoided if you ask me). And F1 2012 was mostly just a yearly update with a bit of polish.

Also if a Xbox 360 is in your entertainment center right now or you contemplate adding it down the road, be aware that games with no server support left from Codemasters like Grid (Which has a nice looking sequel slated for this year) are still fully online over there. The gamer hosts their own matches in those games on the 360 like the vast majority of non EA 360 software. And with the standard Xbox Live matchmaking functionality handling that side, there's nothing for Codemasters to shut off on you over there.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-17-2013 at 09:14 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Your location isn't listed, but unless you were European, your chances are as good now to still get Outrun Online Arcade on the PS3 as they were before. Since it was a Xbox 360 exclusive in North America, the only way to get it was to utilize the game share feature with a European that purchased it. You can still do it that way if you can find someone that bought it and is willing to share it since existing owner's can still redownload it. And since it was delisted right around the same time, most anyone that has it will have 5 activations instead of the new limit of 2 so there's always that chance you could find someone with a few activations left and willing to share.

And if you have any interest in Test Drive Unlimited 2, I suggest doing what I'm going to do soon. Buy it and play it now to enjoy it. The sequel wasn't nearly the sales success as the original was and that has been offline since last Fall now. And Atari's business situation right now also doesn't bode well. So enjoy it while you can since the online component is a large chunk of the game and when the servers get shut off that's it and you can only play single player.

Also, my favorite Dirt has been the original. That was the closest to a rally racer of the three. But if you want one with more variety, Dirt 3 is the way to go. It's everything Dirt 2 was but just with more of it. Grid's another fun arcadey racer from Codemasters. Had its share of issues but I played it to completion. An achievement was bugged on the 360 (Not sure about the PS3 but with the server turned off over there you can't go for trophy completion anyways) but the bigger problems were the heavy use of Mario Kart style rubber banding with the AI and severe physics issues with the open wheeler's and the LeMans prototypes.

And my favorite simcades of this generation haven't carried the Forza or Gran Turismo name but instead have been Codemaster's three HD Formula One releases to date. I'd suggest picking up F1 2011 if you at all enjoy motorsports. It's cheaper than F1 2012 will cost you and has a lot of subtle improvements over their first outing the year before with F1 2010 (And F1 2009 on the PSP/Wii the year prior was farmed out to Sumo Digital as was the Vita and 3DS versions of F1 2012 and are to be avoided if you ask me). And F1 2012 was mostly just a yearly update with a bit of polish.

Also if a Xbox 360 is in your entertainment center right now or you contemplate adding it down the road, be aware that games with no server support left from Codemasters like Grid (Which has a nice looking sequel slated for this year) are still fully online over there. The gamer hosts their own matches in those games on the 360 like the vast majority of non EA 360 software. And with the standard Xbox Live matchmaking functionality handling that side, there's nothing for Codemasters to shut off on you over there.
    I don't know anyone that has OutRun Online Arcade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I thought about mentioning Sega Rally Online Arcade, but I see it's now delisted.

It was essentially a hybrid of Sega Rally Revo and Sega Rally 3. Sega Rally 3 was the arcade version while Sega Rally Revo was the console release. So SROA was a way to get the arcade unique content to home since track layouts and I think the updated desert track were unique to the arcade.

It's not a pure arcade port though since some elements come from Revo (The car's I think are from Revo rather than those featured on the arcade cabinet). Glad I bought it when I did last summer since I enjoyed it.

If that and Outrun Online Arcade are any indication, people should buy Daytona USA if they have any interest in it before it's too late. Their license with the International Speedway Corporation for the Daytona USA trademark isn't going to run forever and when it expires, it goes just like those two games did when their automobile licenses expire.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostDog View Post
    I don't know anyone that has OutRun Online Arcade...
    I'd help you out if I could but I bought it for the Xbox 360. I briefly asked around a few times hoping to trade some games for the PS3 version since I didn't want a version of Outrun to go unplayed by me. But I didn't have any luck and PSN points cards that could've allowed me to just purchase it with my UK account by importing one arrived too late to market.

If you don't already have it, Coast 2 Coast on the Xbox or Playstation 2 is the better deal anyways. A lot more tracks, better performance, and a lot more content in general. Only thing OOA had to offer was HD (At the expense of some significant frame rate drops and some other issues from what appeared to be a rush job), a few animations that had been absent in earlier ports, and now it's the only version of the Outrun 2 family with online leaderboards and multiplayer still going (On the 360 at least, I wouldn't be shocked if the servers have been pulled for the PS3 release... only matters anyways at this point for the leaderboards since multiplayer has been a ghost town for years).

What would you say are the best PS3 racers?
    If classic arcade releases count, Sega has released a arcade emulation of Super Hang-On on PSN (Far superior to the Genesis version and one of the best 2D sprite scaling arcade racer's of all time). And the Data East classic Bump 'n' Jump is available as a compatible PSP Mini from G-Mode/G1M2 under the alternate and lesser known name of Burnin' Rubber.

Both are worthy downloads in my opinion.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-17-2013 at 03:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought about mentioning Sega Rally Online Arcade, but I see it's now delisted.

It was essentially a hybrid of Sega Rally Revo and Sega Rally 3. Sega Rally 3 was the arcade version while Sega Rally Revo was the console release. So SROA was a way to get the arcade unique content to home since track layouts and I think the updated desert track were unique to the arcade.

It's not a pure arcade port though since some elements come from Revo (The car's I think are from Revo rather than those featured on the arcade cabinet). Glad I bought it when I did last summer since I enjoyed it.

If that and Outrun Online Arcade are any indication, people should buy Daytona USA if they have any interest in it before it's too late. Their license with the International Speedway Corporation for the Daytona USA trademark isn't going to run forever and when it expires, it goes just like those two games did when their automobile licenses expire.

I'd help you out if I could but I bought it for the Xbox 360. I briefly asked around a few times hoping to trade some games for the PS3 version since I didn't want a version of Outrun to go unplayed by me. But I didn't have any luck and PSN points cards that could've allowed me to just purchase it with my UK account by importing one arrived too late to market.

If you don't already have it, Coast 2 Coast on the Xbox or Playstation 2 is the better deal anyways. A lot more tracks, better performance, and a lot more content in general. Only thing OOA had to offer was HD (At the expense of some significant frame rate drops and some other issues from what appeared to be a rush job), a few animations that had been absent in earlier ports, and now it's the only version of the Outrun 2 family with online leaderboards and multiplayer still going (On the 360 at least, I wouldn't be shocked if the servers have been pulled for the PS3 release... only matters anyways at this point for the leaderboards since multiplayer has been a ghost town for years).

If classic arcade releases count, Sega has released a arcade emulation of Super Hang-On on PSN (Far superior to the Genesis version and one of the best 2D sprite scaling arcade racer's of all time). And the Data East classic Bump 'n' Jump is available as a compatible PSP Mini from G-Mode/G1M2 under the alternate and lesser known name of Burnin' Rubber.

Both are worthy downloads in my opinion.
    Thanks. I liked Super Hang-On back in the day for Genesis but I wonder how much I'd really play it now even though this version is superior. I know it comes in a three game pack for $9.99 which is a bit pricey I think since one game in the pack I have no interest in. I was actually thinking about buying a MotoGP game but from all the stuff I've read the reviews are really mixed.

I used to have OutRun 2006 Coast 2 Coast when I had a Xbox and loved it to death. I had a bunch of trance tracks on my harddrive and the music would play uninterrupted even during loading sequences unlike Burnout 3 which would cut to the next track every time you crashed or went to a loading screen. OutRun 2006 Coast 2 Coast and Burnout 3 remain one of my favorite racers ever.

Yeah, it's a shame they removed SEGA Rally Online Arcade. What the heck was the reason behind it? Sucks that I missed out on two SEGA racers. Anyway, I bought Daytona USA at a steal for $2.50 for being a Playstation Plus member when a bunch of SEGA's games were on sale in the Playstation store. At least that's one SEGA arcade racer I was able to get from the PS store.
    Last edited by GhostDog; 02-18-2013 at 01:46 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't know if there's an official reason, but I think it's pretty obvious that the terms for their car licensing deals with the manufacturer's that have car's featured in the game expired. So it went just like Outrun Online Arcade went when Sega's Ferrari deal concluded.

And Super Hang-On, Revenge of Shinobi, and Alex Kidd come in a three game pack for $10 on Xbox Live which is where I purchased it. But they're individual downloads for five dollars each off PSN as far as I'm aware. That's why they have a lot more trophies for each game on the PS3 (12 for Super Hang-On I believe) than they have achievements since they're bundled on the 360 (Four achievements for Super Hang-On while the other eight are split between the two other games).

So you can just buy each game you want for $5 which is pretty much the standard price for a standalone classic game digital rerelease of a single game. I think I've only paid cheaper than that per game on Game Room and with the Data East and SNK PSP Minis (And of course these Sega triple pack's they've done on XBLA recently have meant I've been paying less than $5 per game). I doubt you'll spend hours and hours with it but it was never meant to be a Forza game. It was meant to be something you stuck a quarter in and had fun with for five minutes and then moved on until the next time.

And I think that entertainment value in short burst is still fully intact with it here. It's a fine arcade racer that has stood the test of time well. It's challenging, sounds great, controls well, and looks very nice and runs very smoothly with a fast sense of speed. Makes the Genesis game look sloppy, sluggish, and like it's running in slow motion. And even though I wish everything was on physical media, the convenience of it residing on your hard drive also benefits firing it up here and there for a brief go at it.

If I have any complaint with it, it's Sega's new policy of not supporting 4:3 television owners. I keep a second Xbox 360 hooked up to my Trinitron and have discovered with their recent downloads like Daytona USA and their various Sega Vintage Collection bundles (I'm not sure off hand if Sonic CD and their Dreamcast ports also did this) that you can't play these 4:3 classic games in full screen 4:3 on an appropriate television. The games are outputted only at 16:9 which means that you're playing in a smaller window with pillarboxing on the sides of the 4:3 image in a 16:9 window on your tv (Which means of course that you gace letterboxing above and below since it's a 16:9 display area on a 4:3 tv).

Not a problem on a 16:9 tv of course (And I think the option to stretch it to fill the screen is there for the occasional oddball that likes their games stretched to fill every inch of real estate on their widescreen tv). But an annoyance when you're playing on a traditional display where the game should be full screen.

A sign of the times I suppose.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-19-2013 at 11:08 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

GT5 is the best sim racer on PS3, one of the only sim racers I know of on the console. The best arcade racers I've come across are Burnout Paradise and Need for Speed: Most Wanted. I've played Most Wanted all the way through and it's a great game, so I wouldn't dismiss it so quickly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    GT5 is the best sim racer on PS3, one of the only sim racers I know of on the console. The best arcade racers I've come across are Burnout Paradise and Need for Speed: Most Wanted. I've played Most Wanted all the way through and it's a great game, so I wouldn't dismiss it so quickly.
    For some reason I couldn't get into Burnout Paradise. I may buy Most Wanted when the price drops significantly but not now. I'm looking forward to GRID 2 but I'll also wait for a price drop. For the most part I think I got the best racers in my collection and I'll have to get rid of a handful that I probably won't play too much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For some reason I couldn't get into Burnout Paradise. I may buy Most Wanted when the price drops significantly but not now. I'm looking forward to GRID 2 but I'll also wait for a price drop. For the most part I think I got the best racers in my collection and I'll have to get rid of a handful that I probably won't play too much.
    Really? I think Burnout Paradise is maybe the best arcade racer this console gen. I preferred it over the previous Burnout games, it was fun offline and also online when the EA servers weren't acting up. Most Wanted isn't worth full price, I only paid about $30 for a new copy off eBay, so you're smart to wait for a price drop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If a Wii U is in your future, I'd just wait and pick up Need for Speed cheaply over there down the road. It is significantly better looking graphically and seems to have recieved a lot of polish in general by Criterion that should make it the console version of choice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If a Wii U is in your future, I'd just wait and pick up Need for Speed cheaply over there down the road. It is significantly better looking graphically and seems to have recieved a lot of polish in general by Criterion that should make it the console version of choice.
    I have no interest in the Wii U right now. Perhaps down the line when it drops to the $199 mark but who knows. I just wish Criterion would release an HD version of Burnout 3 with online play.